WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sometimes I read about an impending hike or expedition on WB and shake my head in doubt. Then when the negative remarks start coming I'm not surprised or confounded. But this one I don't get. I don't know Rick but he has an established hiking record and his blog seems to be well thought out and not boisterous at all. I say good luck on the hike and I hope to be reading about his completion this time next year.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Given some of the obvious benefits mentioned earlier, off season (within reason) would seem like a logical thing to do.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Thank you all for the positive remarks.

As far as being worried about doing this alone, no, I wouldn't be bothered doing it alone.
    It is never a bad thing to have a group tho, and you never know, maybe someone on here might be thinking about doing this ....only they might be held back because they want another person there.
    As long as the other person is okay with the reality of different hiking speeds and hiking styles - and they are okay with working with each other to make the hike work......I am fine with having others along.

As Moytoy took notice, I have done a lot of back packing, thru-hiked, subfreezing weather, have fallen into frozen rivers, busted up shoulders and ankle, I am fully confident in my abilities ............at the same time, I'm not out here to pound my chest for attention.

Simply, if you want to join me, I am willing to adjust schedules, times and details to make it happen. We (how many people might join in) become a team and will work around everyone's differences to make this a successful trip for all.

Again, thank you for all the positive comments. Weather I do this alone or with a group, it is the positive people and their comments that help keep any person, on whatever adventure they choose in life, going when it gets tough.

As some have said in other posts in other threads, it makes sense for each person to be reasonably self-contained if at all possible. Two, or more, may start together. They may not stay together at all times. One person may have to fetch help for an injured partner. Hiking pace may differ in various terrain. Food choices may be vastly different. A pack may be lost.
    "Two men enter. One man leaves."

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Thank you all for the positive remarks.

As far as being worried about doing this alone, no, I wouldn't be bothered doing it alone.
    It is never a bad thing to have a group tho, and you never know, maybe someone on here might be thinking about doing this ....only they might be held back because they want another person there.
    As long as the other person is okay with the reality of different hiking speeds and hiking styles - and they are okay with working with each other to make the hike work......I am fine with having others along.

As Moytoy took notice, I have done a lot of back packing, thru-hiked, subfreezing weather, have fallen into frozen rivers, busted up shoulders and ankle, I am fully confident in my abilities ............at the same time, I'm not out here to pound my chest for attention.

Simply, if you want to join me, I am willing to adjust schedules, times and details to make it happen. We (how many people might join in) become a team and will work around everyone's differences to make this a successful trip for all.

Again, thank you for all the positive comments. Weather I do this alone or with a group, it is the positive people and their comments that help keep any person, on whatever adventure they choose in life, going when it gets tough.
    Thank you Wrongway_08 for this positive post. Reason I inserted my 2 cents is this. I know Georg very well. Actually he is most accomplished winter hiker I have ever known. And I hiked with him about two weeks doing AT - BMT loop in the GSMNP starting on December 26, 2011. I challenged you a bit. First, I have to agree that hiking in the winter is much harder than in other season. Loneliness? Yes. Second and most important thing is a safety. And I wish you to find a friend who share with you winter hike passion. Arius.

Hi Wrongway,

I'll stay on subject. I am interested in doing only about a 2 week section. I did my last one in Jan 2012 and did pretty well going solo (with 2 food bag drops) from Erwin to the 1st I-81 crossing past the Mt. Rogers HQ. It only got down to 14 F though, and no snow over 4". I would have needed another bag liner if it had gotten to 0 F. I did buy a pair of Micro Spikes and some insulated Garmont boots, but the micro spikes are no help in snow, and never I had a long strech of ice. It was right after New Year, so there were lots of college kids and others in the shelters the first weekend, but pretty lonely after that.

You keep in touch and help me pick someplace north of that point where I can join you. I'm flexible on the dates, any place with easy access to get me shuttled to an airport or my car will be fine.

Edwin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++