WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to beat the Virginia Blues?

Any tips on what to do when you don't feel like hiking for a week? How to stay motivated?

Images

I am a section hiker and VA took forever it seemed

Step by step...............

I wish I could say something profound to get you motivated again....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evan_rolltide View Post
    Any tips on what to do when you don't feel like hiking for a week? How to stay motivated?
    what would you rather be doing?do it and come back.but if youd rather be hiking, be glad you found the time to do it.very few can.

Images

Mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.
    Simple is good.

don't walk for a week. duh

Images

As a section hiker it's akin to a seldom used battery on a garaged car ,intially it may be hard to start.
    Once the car starts up,the battery charges.

Start by making those plans,then follow through. Good Luck!
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Keep walking and realize that it beats working

You can begin by not letting your thoughts get to the point where you don't feel like hiking for a week. At the most, I may go for three days without hiking on a long thu-hike but by the end of those three days I WANT TO I HAVE TO get back to hiking. I'm on a vision quest. Hiking and nature fulfills a yearning in my soul. It's in my blood. When you get to the point you feel blase, unconcerned, and nonchalant about something that often means you aren't finding enough about it to be grateful for. Finding reasons for being appreciative keeps you positively occupied so you don't have time for complaining. Complaining(in your thought and emotional life - SELF SPEAK) opens the door to a whole lot of other nasty negatives while being grateful opens the door to a whole UNIVERSE of WONDER and other empowering attitudes. One of the BEST places to practice positive self talk and vision focus is on a thru-hike.

Images

Two things, normally I don't agree exactly with Lone Wolf, often I do in general. Today I think his pithy comment is exactly right. Take some time off, away from the trail for a bit. Get comfortable, do some touristy sight-seeing, take in a movie or two, whatever non-trail activities suit your fancy (aside from getting falling down drunk at a bar every night), try to make it something productive, not destructive. Take a short break.

Not sure if this applies to the OP, but it is the advice I always give folks who are questioning whether they should continue:

NEVER make a quick decision to quit, especially when you are feeling miserable.

How long did it take you to decide to hike, and then get ready? Don't do something you'll regret by making a hasty decision to quit, and never make that decision when you are cold, wet, and miserable. It is only a valid decision when you make it while feeling comfortable and rested. Give yourself a minimum of two weeks, I'm betting you will have changed your mind. If however, in the end, you aren't enjoying the hike, and aren't looking forward to getting back out there, then why continue? Figure out what you would rather be doing.

Edit: Just wanted to add, Dogwood make some very good points as well. Part of learning to play the mental game that is involved with any extended endeavor, but strikes really hard when hiking.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-11-2013 at 08:10.

There is no such thing as the Virginia blues. It's just an excuse by people that want to quit.

I never wanted to quit, I never wanted to go home.

If you do, then go home.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

My bad, I used a term that many people toss around in the hopes that I could quickly convey how I was feeling. I'm not looking for any excuses. If you never wanted to go home, I hope you never did.

I did want to go home. I wanted to go fishing. I took 2 woods neros and 4-5 town zeros before I decided to get on a train and go fish. I feel as though the trail is calling me back already... I will give it some time to see before making a decision.

Not sure if I asked a stupid question or if the thought of not wanting to hike is just too foreign to some of you but I appreciate those of you who were kind enough to take the time to respond to my question.

It was an impulsive decision on my part to hike the Appalachian Trail. I had hiked twice before in my life and slept outside less than ten times in my life. I have been completely satisfied with my journey so far and have loved it. When I woke up and didn't feel like hiking, I didn't. I know there are some here that think it would have been better never to start than to start and not finish but I am not really concerned with judgement. I will be cozy in the fires of hell with all the other slackpackers, yellowblazers, and degenerates that don't hike the way we are supposed to.

It's really kind of funny that every time I get on to this website I see a bunch of people sitting behind a computer screen talking about how all the people out there hiking are entitled douchebags that are "dropping like flies" this year, and how each class of thru hikers gets worse and worse each year. On the trail if this website is mentioned it is almost never in a positive light, unfortunately. I found this website to be a great resource and think there are plenty of great people here, but the bitterness nearly seeps through the pixels at times.

I hope that all of you who wish to go out there and hike- it's really not a difficult thing to do. Life is for living--no excuses.

My name is Leprechaun and maybe I will see you on the trail, if not I am loving life somewhere else!

My bad, I used a term that many people toss around in the hopes that I could quickly convey how I was feeling. I'm not looking for any excuses. If you never wanted to go home, I hope you never did.

I did want to go home. I wanted to go fishing. I took 2 woods neros and 4-5 town zeros before I decided to get on a train and go fish. I feel as though the trail is calling me back already... I will give it some time to see before making a decision.

Not sure if I asked a stupid question or if the thought of not wanting to hike is just too foreign to some of you but I appreciate those of you who were kind enough to take the time to respond to my question.

It was an impulsive decision on my part to hike the Appalachian Trail. I had hiked twice before in my life and slept outside less than ten times in my life. I have been completely satisfied with my journey so far and have loved it. When I woke up and didn't feel like hiking, I didn't. I know there are some here that think it would have been better never to start than to start and not finish but I am not really concerned with judgement. I will be cozy in the fires of hell with all the other slackpackers, yellowblazers, and degenerates that don't hike the way we are supposed to.

It's really kind of funny that every time I get on to this website I see a bunch of people sitting behind a computer screen talking about how all the people out there hiking are entitled douchebags that are "dropping like flies" this year, and how each class of thru hikers gets worse and worse each year. On the trail if this website is mentioned it is almost never in a positive light, unfortunately. I found this website to be a great resource and think there are plenty of great people here, but the bitterness nearly seeps through the pixels at times.

I hope that all of you who wish to go out there and hike- it's really not a difficult thing to do. Life is for living--no excuses.

My name is Leprechaun and maybe I will see you on the trail, if not I am loving life somewhere else!
    This is a great response, Leprechaun. I wish you the best!!! I'm very proud of you for getting out there and hiking the AT. My daughter told herself when she wasn't enjoying herself any more, she would stop hiking. She hiked 500 miles and stopped. The trail had done for her what she needed it to do. She will finish it all one day and love every mile of it. She's done over 1/2 of it now. I'm sure it will be that way for you too, if you so choose.

As far as this site goes.... I'm glad you spoke the truth. I agree 100% with you and get the same reaction when this site is mentioned, sometimes. I think you chose a good word when you used the word- bitterness. I don't fully understand it but yeah.

I'd love to meet you out on the trail!!!

Images

hey leprechaun!!
    i just got home after my own impulsive trip from springer to damascus, and i met quite a few people who were familiar with whiteblaze,many even knew me from whiteblaze as well.
    like anything in life, one can choose to look for flaws in something, or one can choose to look for the good.although there are plenty of sources for information about hiking the at, whiteblaze imho is still the best single resource on line for information about thru hiking or section hiking the at.yes, we have our share of a-holes, a much higher percentage than you actually find n the trail, and even some of the debates that go on here hardly ever come into play when hiking the trail.and just like on the trail, if you find an a-hole on line, you keep hiking, you dont have to respond.
    i have met so many wonderful people through whiteblaze, and i never would have hiked this spring, were it not for the friends i have here.
    thanks to train wreck, atmilkman,ozjacko, fidjit and dot.com, lone wolf, coach lou, hikermomkd and all the others that ive met through wb and helped me along the way.
    and leprechaun, i await your first haiku in the cafe.
    for me, i didnt want to come home. for you, maybe you just need a break,and at some point, you'll come back to it.
    after hiking 467 miles, i know that i can finish it, and am hoping to do just that if i can make enough money by august.
    i also know that if you hiked through the same weather i did for 4 or 5 hundred miles, then theres no doubt you can hike the whole at should you choose.
    either way, its your decision, your hike, and other peoples view of your hike is nothing more than an opinion.just words.
    and always remember, the journey never ends.in the end, its all good.

When I got tired with thru hiking, two things really helped:
    1) Do shorter days, but still make progress every day
    2) Hike with fun people

Journal Entries
    Images

It's a myth!! Whoever came up with that phrase was dead wrong & depressed!! VA is an Amazing Stretch of the Trail!! If it's about miles, you''ll struggle, if it's about enjoying the beauty of the trail, you'll be sad when you leave VA.

~Peace~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

The best way to beat the Virginia blues is to hike in Maine.

I read someone's journal and they said that an iPod tunes and audio books on it saved their sanity. I know that this is almost blasphemous to some on WB, but HYOH. When I hike for shorter stretches, I don't take an iPod, but I may decide to take it on the AT for just this reason.

I'm a section hiker, and I'm guessing that the Virginia blues have not much to do with Virginia, except for hikers that are focused on getting from one state to another as fast as they can, and the 500 odd miles of Virginia are not a quick conquest. I think it's more a matter of the thrill wearing off, and a little "same old" setting in, along with the prospect of a few more months of rain, bugs, hunger, illness, dirt, and so on. I just finished a hike from Rockfish Gap to Daleville, and I really enjoyed the views, wildflowers, and well-cared-for, relatively smooth, switchbacked trails.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's a way to beat them!! Hike like theses guys are!! I was lucky enough to meet them for a few days last week amazing positive attitudes! The way they hike there are no blues!!

http://hitchedhike.com/
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++