WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lions?

The primary cause for hiker fatalites differs from area to area. In some areas it's fatal falls. I'm not positive, but I think in general hiker fatalities are often weather related or humans ignorant of weather related issues.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    Oh my GOSH, Clem... Thanks for pointing that out to me. All these years I thought it might have been the ribs I had inside my sleeping bag!

This comment is full of win!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

[QUOTE=t. She thinks I'm nuts, so it's good to hear that I'm not that crazy![/QUOTE] Nobody said you're not crazy, just not to worry about mountain lions. (or cougars, pumas, catamounts, panthers, etc.)
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Mags - I LOVE the Cpt Picard pix.

So what worries me the most about hiking the CT is fires - last year there were a lot of forest fires in Colorado, I did hear on the news this morning that there should be less fires in Colorado this year because of 'above average spring snow pack'. With the Pine bark beetle killing so many of the pine trees, Colorado looked like a tinder box last year when I was there. What I don't know is what is the risk along the trail. Mags - do you have any info on this?

The area around Denver is just slightly below normal levels over all.

Southern Colorado (e.g. the San Juans) is pretty low, though.

Wait and see is about all we can do right now.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?CO,W
    Last edited by Mags; 05-13-2013 at 13:39.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    In Colorado, you are more likely to see a mountain lion in the foothills than where the CT generally goes through.

There may be some mountain lion activity near the Denver portion of the trail, but that's going to be very rare.
    I saw a mountain lion in Roxborough State Park which connects to the Colorado Trail. It followed my wife and me for about 30 minutes, but was never a threat. It seemed about as curious as we were.

A few months later, a mountain lion attacked a dog in Roxborough State Park. There is no way to know if it was the same lion or not.

Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by tolkien_madness View Post
    Hey all. I'm new to the cite and planning a CT thru hike starting late this June. I've been wandering through the CT Forum and haven't found any info on the mountain lion activity surrounding the trail. I'm going to be solo hiking (not too many people willing to take six weeks out of their life to go backpacking), so I figured it would be worth checking up on. So: any stories? Close encounters?
    When I hiked from Durango to Silverton in 2008, I encountered a mountain lion a little past the Dry Fork Trail on the CT (Just outside Durango). I had stopped to take a look at my map and the trail bended to the left 30 yards ahead of me. As odd as it sounds, I felt a presence and looked up and there was a mountain lion trotting towards me. We made eye contact and it stopped; I then proceeded to yell at it and it took off. The hair on my arms was standing straight-up.

It was a really special experience for me.

Actually, mountain lions have human encounters much more than humans KNOWINGLY have encounters with mountain lions! They are ambush hunters/stalkers masters at concealing themselves. Ever see those wildlife documentaries where lions, cheetahs, leopards, tigers, etc sneak up on their prey or just to check something out? Mountain Lions in N. America do the same. They are there MORE OFTEN than we realize. BUT, BEFORE YOU LET A NEGATIVE IMAGINATION RUN AWAY THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS. If Mountain Lions regularly saw humans as potential meals humans would be in real trouble in the woods and in the mountains and we would see MANY MORE attacks and human fatalities. Mountain Lions in the wild are not inclined to attack adult humans! Statistics across N. America STRONGLY PROVE this. Those ideas of large ferocious cats stalking and preying upon humans are the product of uninformed artists, writers, and makers of Jollywood movies who are basing their ideas in ignorance and fear.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    That was in 2004. Rare events make news.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnwell View Post
    When I hiked from Durango to Silverton in 2008, I encountered a mountain lion a little past the Dry Fork Trail on the CT (Just outside Durango).
    Not surprised. Tend to see mountain lions in the foothills outside of towns rather than in the mountains themselves FWIW.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-15-2013 at 21:00.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Mountain Lions in the wild are not inclined to attack adult humans!
    I know, it's because we coexist, right

I bet the deer would like to coexist with mountain lions.

LOL. The deer do coexist with mountain lions - deer are weary and watch out for them and then - THEY RUN!

Ever wonder why horse jockeys whip the horse and the horse runs faster?

Predatory Response.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That was in 2004. Rare events make news.
    Rare, indeed. But it happens from time to time.

"The oversized cats are responsible for only two confirmed deaths and 14 attacks causing injury during the last 20 years in Colorado, according to the state Division of Wildlife."

http://durangoherald.com/article/20110507/NEWS01/705079946/-1/s/Where-lions-tread

Just got back from 3 days in mountain lion habitat.

Occurred to me that Neoairs sound just like Cat Crinkle Tunnel Toys.

http://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-Crac...crinkle+tunnel (Ooooo! Cat tunnel is lightweight. If it were a little wider and made of silnylon, it could be a fine bivy sack.)

My sister asks during lunch, "Do you think this Hickory Smoked Flavor Tuna pouch smells like cat food? Do mountain lions like tuna like house cats do?"

Went to bed probably smelling slightly of cat food and sleeping on the perfect crinkly large cat toy. Mountain lions pouncing on my crinkly pad crossed my mind a couple of times, but slept fine.

When I got home my cat was all over my backpack like it was a new catnip toy. She spent 10 minutes rubbing on it and rolling on it and marking it as "hers". (Good thing she is not a sprayer!)

Maybe I had a nocturnal mountain lion encounter, and slept thru it? Naw. Probably not… but who knows.

Happy hiking and sleeping! Driving to/from the trail head is up there with dangerous activities.

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

I know this is an old thread, but I just watched something last night called "Man-eating Zombie Cats" where the wild cat populations are becoming infected with Canine Distemper Virus - including Mountain lions. These infected cats have much different behavior and are not afraid of humans. Anyways, the show also stated that if mountain lion were the size of an African Lion, they would be 10 times more dangerous.! So of course, it was midnight last night while I watched this show and then they mention Salida, CO and a mountain lion that enters someones house and devours their dog! So visions of me on the CT this summer as a midnight snack start dancing in my head. Thankfully this thread exists! I agree that lightning is probably the biggest danger (or possibly dying from massive overeating in resupply towns - haha) -

I was reading what to do in case of an encounter. Don't turn around, don't run, try to appear large and talk firm and make noise. Not to reassuring since I would probably be paralyzed with fear. Most PCTers are way more nervous about mountain lion encounters than Bear encounters and I agree.

Okay, just thinking out loud. Still can't wait for our CT trip!

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I just watched something last night called "Man-eating Zombie Cats" where the wild cat populations are becoming infected with Canine Distemper Virus - including Mountain lions. These infected cats have much different behavior and are not afraid of humans.
    You gotta watch them shows with a skeptical eye, especially during weeks like now -- It's Monster Week

I don't doubt this disease issue, but those shows are always hyping stuff for ratings; then you got the mega shark and Mermaind "documentaries"

How do they get away with calling them shows a "Documentary" is just depressing to me.

P.S. They call the mega shark a "Megalodon"...geez

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    Anyways, the show also stated that if mountain lion were the size of an African Lion, they would be 10 times more dangerous.! So of course, it was midnight last night while I watched this show and then they mention Salida, CO and a mountain lion that enters someones house and devours their dog! So visions of me on the CT this summer as a midnight snack start dancing in my head.
    That's true with so many animals, if the black bear was as big as a polar bear it would be more of a threat; I'm not saying it would be the same as the threat presented by a polar bear, but it would definitely be more of a threat. And if a moose was the size of a dog it would be less of a threat.

BTW, that reminds me of my thoughts on the green and brown anoles, those are some very small lizards, but they are very aggressive. They are always making threatening postures that looks like they're doing push-ups, they even make that gesture at me as I walk thru my garden; I actually have to walk right up on them before they run

If those things grew to 10 foot long I'd be the one running

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXmYtPXrQ4

I'm pretty sure that big cats have seen me even though I've never seen them. They are stealthy and like to stalk their prey. It isn't likely that they would attack a 6'1" man especially with a pack on since they like to strike from behind and have a shot at the neck. If I was a 5' tall person or if I hiked with kids I would be more concerned. As things stand, it is a non issue for me even though some freak thing could happen. But some really unlucky incident could occur anywhere at any time, perhaps with higher probability in civilization than in the backcountry.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm pretty sure that big cats have seen me even though I've never seen them. They are stealthy and like to stalk their prey. It isn't likely that they would attack a 6'1" man especially with a pack on since they like to strike from behind and have a shot at the neck. If I was a 5' tall person or if I hiked with kids I would be more concerned. As things stand, it is a non issue for me even though some freak thing could happen. But some really unlucky incident could occur anywhere at any time, perhaps with higher probability in civilization than in the backcountry.
    Wait! I am a 5' tall person!!!!! lol

Heartfire and Krewzer saw a mountain lion on their thruhike last year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++