WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WhiteBlaze testosterone strikes again.

Ya'll can tell an inexperienced hiker that he can hike 20 miles a day every day starting on day one if you want to. Easy to give advice sitting in your Lazy Boy Chair drinking a cold one with the a/c on.

Theres a difference between "possible" and "plausible".

Possible? Yes. For a few.

Plausible? For the vast majority? Nope.

Sounds very plausible if you are up for a challenge.

How fast is your 5k, 10k, or 20k currently?
    What was your recent weekly training miles?
    Are you still at a good running weight?

How light are you prepared to pack?
    (Total weight of all gear, clothing, average food and water)
    (Adding 10% to your total weight on feed essentially adds 10% to your distance)

What is the total cumulative elevation gain on this section.
    (Every 500 feet adds the equivalent of a mile in distance.)

I will be with you in spirit, cheering you on from behind this keyboard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZiN8brc1bg

Journal Entries

my 5k was around 17.30, I've always been more of a distance guy though. after taking off for about 3 weeks I trained a week and on thanksgiving ran a 15 mile race at 8.30 pace feeling great. I understand what its like to do HEAVY running mileage, last summer I did 70 miles weeks running twice a day. doing that you are tired basically all the time! if I realize the mileage is too much ill just slow down. Like I said I have someone to pick me up anywhere at the end of the 9 days. thanks for all the opinions! Honestly I think doing plenty of mileage a day should bw fun in its own way.

200 miles in 9 days going from lehigh PA to NY. Plausible? in theory yes. you would need to hike 22 miles a day every day with out one single rest day, or even a single short day. In practice no. It will probably rain at some point. The rocks will slow you down. Oh the PA rocks! This won't be any fun. It might be fund for a day or two, but after a few days to a week, it won't be fun. If you get a rainy day you'll be miserable. I've had enough of these cowboys on whiteblaze who think that just cause there young and in good shape or are runners that they can burn up the trail 20-30 miles per day like it's peanuts. Forget it. Hiking the AT is not running. You are just setting yourself up for a week of misery!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Very plausible. For an experienced backpacker who has their gear and hiking style dialed in. and enjoys walking all day. It is how I generally back esp. when solo (and I rather enjoy it)

however, and I am honestly not trying to be snarky, if you have to ask the question, you probably should dial it down to 15 MPD and see how it goes.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Its possible, as said before.
    Whether or not you can do it is totally up to you.

I went down to GA 2 weeks ago and did a little hike.

The first day a new aspiring thru hiker started the same time as me at the approach trail, he had about 40 lbs. He kept up with me. We both did 17.5 miles the first day.
    The second day, we both did about 16 miles, because of the bear cannister rule and not wanting to come down Blood Mtn in the dark potentially.
    The third day, about 19 miles, he was still keeping up, but did have some foot issues.
    The fourth day the kid was going to do ~27 miles all the way to Hiawassee to buy himself a zero day. I dont know if he made it, I figured he would have been 8pm getting there.

Some people can do it, some newbies can too. This kids goal was to catch up to the main bubble.

It only takes walking longer hours. Start earlier, hike later. Keep feet healthy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-12-2013 at 14:34.

To put this in perspective, what the majority of those who have opined)would tell the OP -- relatively inexperienced at 18 years old and has to ask others on a forum how far he can hike over a given time frame - is that he could start at Springer and in 9 days he'd be at Newfound Gap hitching a ride into Gatlinburg.

I bet if this was your daughter -- and not an anonymous poster on the internet -- asking for advice the answers given would be much different.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    To put this in perspective, what the majority of those who have opined)would tell the OP -- relatively inexperienced at 18 years old and has to ask others on a forum how far he can hike over a given time frame - is that he could start at Springer and in 9 days he'd be at Newfound Gap hitching a ride into Gatlinburg.

I bet if this was your daughter -- and not an anonymous poster on the internet -- asking for advice the answers given would be much different.

Well this is awkward....Im not a girl LOL just a relatively slow guy over 5000 meters :P

Quote Originally Posted by PosterNutbag View Post
    Like I said I have someone to pick me up anywhere at the end of the 9 days.
    Then you are good to go buddy, I wish you an excellent hike.

Images

after backpacking 20+ miles/day 9 or 10 times this spring, i decided running a marathon is no big deal, especially when you're not carrying 25-30 lbs on your back.long distance running is not the same as long distance backpacking.i would never tell you you couldnt do it, i think you're in shape for it, but how important is it to you to do the miles?i would just suggest keeping your plan open to lower miles, should your body tell you(and i think it will) that its necessary to slow down.above all, have a good time. just like i said, the trail aint going nowhere.its great to push oneself beyond their limits,but it still should be fun. .

-

put it this way then: if a knowing bookie was to make odds on this it would likely be about 2 to 1 against - in the end, feel free to try whatever you want to, it may be impractical but there is little risk of real injury

or you can listen to the folks on here that have learned from experience that practical/ versatile planning results in a more enjoyable trip

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    after backpacking 20+ miles/day 9 or 10 times this spring, i decided running a marathon is no big deal,.................................i would just suggest keeping your plan open to lower miles.
    I am taking his statement regarding his ride to suggest he is allowing for lower miles (as he should).

As for marathons, I am curious if you have done any based on that statement. It is having that exact thought during my thru that me lead to start doing them. Those long hiking days give you great confidence on any course near mileage you have done in a day, but that doesn't do your body or time any good. Distance running and distance hiking just are not very related. Success at one does not grant success at the other. I find running harder than hiking, or at least I find I feel a lot lousier after a 50K race than I do after a 50K hike

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    put it this way then: if a knowing bookie was to make odds on this it would likely be about 2 to 1 against - in the end, feel free to try whatever you want to, it may be impractical but there is little risk of real injury

or you can listen to the folks on here that have learned from experience that practical/ versatile planning results in a more enjoyable trip
    Wanna make a wager on me doing it? I'm over 2.5 times his age.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Has it occurred to some of you that it's the challenge itself that is enjoyable?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    I am taking his statement regarding his ride to suggest he is allowing for lower miles (as he should).

As for marathons, I am curious if you have done any based on that statement. It is having that exact thought during my thru that me lead to start doing them. Those long hiking days give you great confidence on any course near mileage you have done in a day, but that doesn't do your body or time any good. Distance running and distance hiking just are not very related. Success at one does not grant success at the other. I find running harder than hiking, or at least I find I feel a lot lousier after a 50K race than I do after a 50K hike
    i agree with you. what is similar is the mental mindset, physically they are very different demands on your body.ive ran half marathons, no doubt i can run a marathon, but dont think i want to push myself that hard(my legs are twice as old as yours).as to backpacking, even after i got my trail legs this spring, i felt comfortable doing 16-18 mile days. when i pushed to 20mi or higher, those last few miles wore me out, and it was relected in my performance the next day; it amazed me that a difference so small as an additional 2 miles could have such an effect on my body.mentally i was fine, but after 20 miles i began to simply run out of gas.
    i do think its good for the op to push himself hard,maybe i missed that he had already prepped for lower miles.i think the key to any successful hike is flexibility and being able to adjust along the way

Journal Entries

Just go hike , as far as you want, as many miles as you want.

Its nice to not have a schedule. Go as far, or as few miles, as you feel like.

When it gets to be 6pm and youve already eaten dinner, you may find you want to stop, or you may find you want to walk till 11 pm and knock out another 10 miles for the day. No rules.

You would think the AT is some magical place where only the world's greatest hikers can walk 20+ MPD. Geez, if he's 18 yrs old, in decent shape, and not a sissy he can definitely do it. I'm twice his age and set in a cubicle for 50 hours a week, and even I can keep that pace. Some of you forget what it's like being a teenager. There are definitely some things you need to do in order to enjoy your hike more. Like as been said above: blister prevention, control chaffing, hike longer/not faster. Carrying less weight will also make this hike much easier on you. Best of luck.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by PosterNutbag View Post
    Due to a new job, ill be having to start my hike from lehigh pa to stormville ny earlier. This change has forced me to cut my hike down by at least 4 or 5 days. Starting June 1 I will leave Lehigh and head north on the AT, should i expect to make it the distance? I was thinking about resupplying every 3 days, but from what i have been reading that takes A LOT of time ( hitchhiking into town, shopping, hitching back) is there a better way for me to resupply now that time is so short? I understand that this is over 20 mile days we are talking about and I do not have my "trail legs", but I am an 18 year old distance runner coming off 4 years running all year round. I guess my main question is, is it even plausible for someone to get on the trail and cover 200 miles during 9 days on that section

Sorry if the post seems a bit confusing.....im not even going to proof read
    Totally doable. Tarp it, light bag, and a few night hikes when you need to hitch to town and you are good to go. IF you could go stoveless and stokepile food at road crossing deli's or pizza places, you could totally do it. Jersey is cake. The terrain makes it do able to run in some strecthes and utilize you running skills. I think if you are 18 and bring long distance running to the table, Id like to see you try it. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Has it occurred to some of you that it's the challenge itself that is enjoyable?
    20+ mile days are fun as hell

Images

The only way to know for sure is to try it. It's your hike, do what you think is best and enjoy yourself. Best advice I can offer is to have a bail out plan...
    Biggie

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++