WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The days will be the longest they get at that time of year.
    So, if you can get up early (I'm talking 4:30 AM), and hike until 9 PM when light is fading, you only have to do 1 1/2 miles an hour, or 2 with breaks.

So, yes, it can be done IF you have endurance.

You say you are a distance runner. Does that mean marathons? ultras?
    Don't try to go too fast. You have lots of time IF you get up early.

20 mile days in that section is not so hard.

I'd do a few beforehand to show your body what it's getting into.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Maybe you'll get tired, maybe the flowers and animals will distract you, maybe you'll fall in with some interesting but slower people, maybe you will breeze along without a care. As long as you don't hurt yourself, at worst you will go a lesser distance in the time you have. Enjoy your trip.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Very plausible. For an experienced backpacker who has their gear and hiking style dialed in. and enjoys walking all day. It is how I generally back esp. when solo (and I rather enjoy it)

however, and I am honestly not trying to be snarky, if you have to ask the question, you probably should dial it down to 15 MPD and see how it goes.
    ok mags, you beat me to it. That was going to be my exact response.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    I am taking his statement regarding his ride to suggest he is allowing for lower miles (as he should).

As for marathons, I am curious if you have done any based on that statement. It is having that exact thought during my thru that me lead to start doing them. Those long hiking days give you great confidence on any course near mileage you have done in a day, but that doesn't do your body or time any good. Distance running and distance hiking just are not very related. Success at one does not grant success at the other. I find running harder than hiking, or at least I find I feel a lot lousier after a 50K race than I do after a 50K hike
    I finished my thru hike with two 40+ mile days. It took me 5 months of trail running to get up to that distance. Running and hiking are 95% similar, it's the 5% that will bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I finished my thru hike with two 40+ mile days. It took me 5 months of trail running to get up to that distance. Running and hiking are 95% similar, it's the 5% that will bite you.
    I used to be a distance runner--including being a cross country runner (in Northern Wisconsin hills). I have also hiked for a few decades. I FULLY agree with Malto's 95%/5% comment. I know it from personal experience.

When I was the OP's age, I could run half-marathons. (I was a primarily a runner--who also hiked). I trained for both running and hiking by running up and down hilly trails (including one hill that was nearly 2,000 feet above sea level and 760 feet above the surrounding terrain). I was in great running shape and great cardio shape (my resting heart rate in the low 40s).

I must admit that--even when I was in that sort of great RUNNING condition--backpacking in hills and mountains was still a big challenge for me and it could kick my butt on some days. What Malto said is so true....."Running and hiking are 95% similar, it's the 5% that will bite you".
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

It sounds like you have made arrangements for extraction whenever your time is up, so hike as fast as you find prudent and enjoyable. Smart plan.

Occasionally lucid

Suggest starting at Delaware Water Gap: easy drop off from the Interstate; avoid 40 +/- miles of PA rocks; lower MPD, if desired.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

As usual lots of "you can do it" and "no way you can do it" going on like in all these types of threads. The dude said someone will pick him up wherever he is at when he wants to stop. Based on that and your age I say go for it, and please do us a big favor. Come back on this thread and give us an honest report of the results. That's what's always missing. Some dude comes in with huge aspirations, we talk about it for 20 pages and then we never get to find out what happens. It's annoying getting gypped like that.

Journal Entries

is there a way I can make a journal and connect it to tgis thread?

In 1990 I did 176 miles in 7 days on the same area of trail....of course I was only 36 years old then and had walked there from Springer so I was already in good shape.....should be fine but tiring with your background and age....carry a light pack!

Quote Originally Posted by PosterNutbag View Post
    is there a way I can make a journal and connect it to tgis thread?
    Make a blog, link it to your signature line

-

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    As usual lots of "you can do it" and "no way you can do it" going on like in all these types of threads. The dude said someone will pick him up wherever he is at when he wants to stop. Based on that and your age I say go for it, and please do us a big favor. Come back on this thread and give us an honest report of the results. That's what's always missing. Some dude comes in with huge aspirations, we talk about it for 20 pages and then we never get to find out what happens. It's annoying getting gypped like that.
    the reports are seldom done because anything that goes 20 pages is an iffy venture - few want to honestly disclose the results of unrealistic plans

It doesn't matter if the OP ends up hiking the 200 miles in 9 days or less or if he needs to get picked up short of his destination.

Is it reasonable to tell a new hiker that he can reasonably expect to hike 23.5 miles "every day" for over a week starting on day 1? I maintain that is not a realistic expectation.

Images

If you think like a distance runner on the trail then 200 miles in 9 days is fine - so long as you don't break. Blistered feet, strained IT bands and busted knees are the things that sneak up on you fast.
    I agree that it's your feet that will make or break you. Are your feet ready for 9 days in a row of 20+ miles? What if you have to hike in the rain all day? Wet feet get blisters and hot spots much faster. Try running as much as you can without socks before your hike. That will toughen up your feet and make them more resistant to blisters. And, during the hike, keep your feet as dry as you can (keep an extra pair of dry socks).
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    It doesn't matter if the OP ends up hiking the 200 miles in 9 days or less or if he needs to get picked up short of his destination.

Is it reasonable to tell a new hiker that he can reasonably expect to hike 23.5 miles "every day" for over a week starting on day 1? I maintain that is not a realistic expectation.
    I agree
    If a new hiker asked if it was "plausible" to do 25 miles per day for 9 days from Ga to Dav. Gap , the answer would be a resounding no.
    If they asked if it was plausible to do 15 miles per day for 5 days on easier terrain, the answer would be a resounding yes

This question was somewhat in the middle.

For someone in good shape, with the right mental expectations and committment, and carrying a pack < 25 lbs, Id say its very possible even if they have minimal experience.
    Of course, that doesnt mean it would be enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

Chances are he won't make it.
    That doesn't mean he shouldn't try.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Chances are he won't make it.
    That doesn't mean he shouldn't try.
    I agree with you totally. He has someone who will pick him up wherever he ends up; it doesn't matter in this case how far he hikes.

Hike your own hike mate.

Some people forget what its like to be young like us (; Keep your thinking positive, your mind clear, and your feet dry. You will love the experience regardless of what happens. Best of luck.

Journal Entries

Update on my hike! I made it from Smith gap PA to stormville NY in a total of 8 days. My longest day was 28 miles and the shortest was 16 ( in the pouring rain friday). It was an amazing adventure, and definitely now reinforces my thoughts of doing a thru hike after I graduate college.

Images

Very cool, and good for you.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++