WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System - New 2013!

Does anyone have experience with the LiteTrail Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System? It seems to be an updated system for 2013 that fixes some of the complaints from last year.

I like that it includes about everything I would need, is all titanium, and weighs 3.3oz. I would also need to buy a spoon, but they offer those too. I'm curious if anyone has used this, has any opinions, or maybe some experience with what this system may be missing.

Thank you,
    Andrew

I'm considering this set up also and would love to hear some opinions.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

My main concern would be finding solid fuel tabs reliably while on a long distance hike. It's the reason I prefer my Bushbuddy, in which I can burn wood, esbit or alcohol. I do really like the weight of the total system.....hard to beat it, but at what price.Cat in the Hat

I found LiteTrail on Google Plus, and a couple useful posts. John Abela from HikeLighter.com has an initial purchase review of the system, but no follow-up review of actually using it during a hike. There's also a caldera cone system for the 550ml Titanium Cookpot. It's hard to know the weight of the caldera cone system, because they have a range from 28g to 78g, depending on the pot option you choose. Also, the caldera cone system is aluminum, not titanium. I know a lot of people recommend the caldera cone, but I'm stil slightly leaning towards the complete LiteTrail system. I left LiteTrail a message on their G+ wall, asking them if they prefer the caldera cone to their own solid fuel cook system. I'll post any replies or further information I may find.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    My main concern would be finding solid fuel tabs reliably while on a long distance hike. It's the reason I prefer my Bushbuddy, in which I can burn wood, esbit or alcohol. I do really like the weight of the total system.....hard to beat it, but at what price.Cat in the Hat
    I imagine maildrops should take care of the lack of solid fuel on the trails, but I understand things don't always go as planned. Is there any reason you couldn't bring a backup alcohol stove or canister stove? I know it would add 1 to 4 oz (which is a little crazy considering this entire system is 3.3 oz), but maybe it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    I imagine maildrops should take care of the lack of solid fuel on the trails, but I understand things don't always go as planned. Is there any reason you couldn't bring a backup alcohol stove or canister stove? I know it would add 1 to 4 oz (which is a little crazy considering this entire system is 3.3 oz), but maybe it would be worth it for the peace of mind.
    I will need to use maildrops for my contact lenses so it would be easy to add Esbit tabs into the boxes.
    I definitely will not take a backup system, I'll either stick with my MicroRocket & canisters or switch to an Esbit solution.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

I am taking an esbit stove. I had read that esbit is fairly easy to get your hands on along the trail. Worst case scenario maybe you have to use your pot on the fire to heat water. I wonder if you brought an empty tea light candle if you could set it on the esbit stand and use alcohol if you get to a place that doesn't sell esbit.

I got a response from Trail Designs on the weight of the caldera cone. The cone is about 35g and the stove is 16g for a total of 51g. The weight of LiteTrail's stove, windscreen, and ground is 19g, which is obviously much lighter.

I got a response from LiteTrail on their opinion of the TD Caldera Cone vs the LT System: "They each are very different systems. Our LiteTrail is just solid fuel, super simple and is fully contained in the cookpot for ~3oz. The Caldera does not fit in the cookpot and weighs more."

I'll be purchasing LT's cook system today. Once I get some hands on experience with it I'll come back and post my thoughts.

My experience with a very similar setup is that with one tablet I can make a dinner, hot chocolate, and have enough esbit left over in the morning for tea in ideal conditions. If it is windy and cold there is nothing left for tea in the morning so I bring one 14 gram tablet for the evening and one 4 gram tablet for tea in the morning. The 4 gram tablets are handy but are not individually wrapped so they smell a little bit more. Surprisingly the 14 gram tablets smell fairly strong even through the packet. At one point EMS had esbit cheap and I bought 10 boxes. That was a smelly package... Do you think the esbit tray is neccessary?

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    Do you think the esbit tray is neccessary?
    The 2012 model did not include a tray, but it seems it was a common request.

I got a response from LiteTrail on their opinion of the TD Caldera Cone vs the LT System: "They each are very different systems. Our LiteTrail is just solid fuel, super simple and is fully contained in the cookpot for ~3oz. The Caldera does not fit in the cookpot and weighs more."

I'll be purchasing LT's cook system today. Once I get some hands on experience with it I'll come back and post my thoughts.
    I've been considering purchasing just the pot. Once you get the system, I would greatly appreciate a photo of the pot with 2 cups water in it, if you would be willing. TIA

...John Abela from HikeLighter.com has an initial purchase review of the system, but no follow-up review of actually using it during a hike...
    I have now published an article regarding this system, after having gotten a couple weeks of use with the system.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/05/16/li...l-cook-system/

I think it is very likely the best all-in-one-purchase esbit cooking system out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CenAZwalker View Post
    I've been considering purchasing just the pot. Once you get the system, I would greatly appreciate a photo of the pot with 2 cups water in it, if you would be willing. TIA
    Sorry for the delay!
    IMG_20130601_233750.jpg

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay!
    IMG_20130601_233750.jpg

Does anyone know whether LiteTrail is still in business? When I try to go to their website, I am (weirdly) redirected to Amazon... I'm interested in their esbit system. Thanks.

Goes to amazon.com
    http://litetrail.com

LiteTrail is no longer in business. I believe the owner is still selling odor proof bags but that is it. You can purchase all the pieces of the kit directly from Toaks. They are made of a slightly thicker Ti but the weight difference is negligible.

Thanks. Too bad about LiteTrail. Never purchased anything from them but I've read good things.

++ New Posts ++