WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100 mile wilderness question

Had a quick question about the 100 mile wilderness, (first post so i hope I'm doing things right). I start my SoBo thru hike in june, and plan on packing about 9 days for the 100 mile wilderness. In my guide it looks like that about how long it will be before i can resupply. I've read a few places though, that there is a "side trail" or side road about half way through where a resupply is available but didn't find a whole lot of info on it. Does anyone else no if this is correct or not? i still plan on packing for the full haul, but was just curious because it'd be a nice thing to know. Also, theres nothing mentioned in my guide about it, maybe because its not recognized or what ever. Thanks.

White House Landing. m/m 46 at Maher Tote Rd. Everything you need to know is in the Companion.

Images

I'm curious - what guide are you using?

Their is a camp store at the Golden Road/ Abol bridge you can buy hiker food there but it's kinda expensive, then their is White house landing they don't accept mail drops any more but you can buy food their, their is places with in the 100 mile wilderness to buy food but remember it's neither a 100 miles or a wilderness, 9 days is a lot of food to be packing just for the wilderness. All this info is in the AT Companion or the AWOL book. Good Luck and happy hiking.

White House Lading is a mile off the trail, then a free boat ride across lake, then it's one of the most expensive establishments you'll ever visit. But you can get one pound cheesburgers! :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this thread/topic to the "General" forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

white house landing is available for resupply, and prices are higher than you would pay in town, but you pay for the convenience.thee are also road crossings and you can have food drops or caches dropped off for you by various shuttlers at jo mary rd and katahdin iron works rd. but it costs $$

awesome thanks y'all, this helped a lot.

I'm using Phil from http://100milewilderness.info/. He does resupplys. Really nice guy too. Has answered all my questions, been very helpful. Im going to his place to hike the 100 mile wilderness the 2nd week of june. Cant wait!

Sounds like a good plan icewarrior. 9 days in the 100 mile is just about right. Lots of great spots for a nero or two, and for me, at least two zero's. I usually do it in 12 days, but I'm only doing the section and not in any hurry. One of my favorites is the peninsula at Antelope camp.

Quote Originally Posted by icewarrior View Post
    I'm using Phil from http://100milewilderness.info/. He does resupplys. Really nice guy too. Has answered all my questions, been very helpful. Im going to his place to hike the 100 mile wilderness the 2nd week of june. Cant wait!
    Do you have a set of Maine maps? The 100 mile wilderness part is from Abol Bridge to Monson. Half way thru that is the Jo Mary Rd. Phil does offer a service where he will bring a re-supply to you at that point. Realize that it takes a few hours to drive to that point from Monson so paying someone to bring you food is not going to be cheap.

If you honestly think you can and want to carry 9 days of food you can easily get from Baxter State Park to Monson (~ 110 miles no prob). The first half or more of the wilderness heading SOBO is pretty easy and very enjoyable. With that much food you can explore the Gulf Hagas area when you get there.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I'm using Phil also. He will place a cache for you at the Jo Mary road. He has some type of locked bear box there.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

2 years ago when I was doing my thru Shaw's in Monson was charging $80 for a drop at JoMary Rd. That was per drop so if you had several hikers going in it wasn't too bad. You would only need about 4 days food to get from Abol to JoMary and then another 4 days to Monson. However it's a good move to bring a day or two extra. You never know if weather will hold you up.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Default 100 mile wilderness question

My wife and I used Phil from 100 mile wilderness outfitters last year for resupply at Jo Mary Rd. He was great, friendly, knowledgable and priced very reasonably.

Journal Entries

Maby a dumb question, but does white house landing require you to stay there if you want to eat? Someone told me that, and i just wanted to double check that.

Thanks,

You don't have to stay the night at white house landing to eat there. keep in mind though, you get there and return by boat. So If you show up near noon say.. eat for 20 minutes and want to leave, you'll have to wait. The boat ride runs on their schedule, not yours. They couple running the place are pretty much in it for the money so they won't miss a chance to make $ off of you.

Theres no law that says you can't carry 10 days of food on your back.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    They couple running the place are pretty much in it for the money so they won't miss a chance to make $ off of you.
    Right, this is totally different from every other business on the planet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

6-7 days of food might get you through, assuming the weather is decent, and you are in reasonably good shape. I don't see any reason to stop at White House Landing unless you really have a need to see the place or need to rest due to an injury, etc. As others have noted, it's a least a mile off the trail.

++ New Posts ++