WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Front Royal to Harpers Ferry Three Day Slackpack

We want to get from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry in three days. Our plan is to slackpack and use two cars to shuttle each day, and then find a spot to set up camp at the end of each day. This trip is all about getting the miles in so we can progress toward our miles goal for the summer.

I have looked at this extensively, and have a rough plan, but I thought someone might have a thought I missed. Any ideas are appreciated.

I am looking for any suggestions in terms of campsites, progressing of moving cars and where to park cars (especially in Harpers Ferry). In addition I know this is aproximately 18mi a day, but he first day will be more like 15 because of transportation logistics. We typically do 16-22 with packs on when we are out for an extended time frame.

Thanks for any insights.

That's a nice three-day slackpack. I did Front Royal to Harpers Ferry (with a full pack) in two days. Hiking the roller coaster into Bear's Den at 10 p.m. with a weak headlamp and slick rocks was just not safe.

That being said, I definitely recommend staying at Bear's Den on your second night. You can hike in/drive up. From there, you can hike into Harpers Ferry the next day. I stayed at the Tea Horse Hostel in Harpers Ferry and liked it. They have parking in back. Also, there is plenty of parking at the train station in the center of town.

In Harper's Ferry you can park at the train station, if there is space, or up in the big lot on 340 and catch the shuttle down to HF.

Images

If I were you I'd do the front royal to ashby gap,rt50 the first day which is 20 miles,well within your hiking ability.
    Have your second car waiting for you at ashby gap, a small pull off along the moderately busy rt
    There are tent sites north of Dicks Dome,which is apx.4 miles south of ashby gap . Of course you could tent near the trail at the gap.

I'd definitely stay at Bears Den ,either in the hostel or pitching a tent in their campground.This is 13
    5 miles from your first nights stay.
    From there the hike inyo harpers ferry is a cake walk.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    If I were you I'd do the front royal to ashby gap,rt50 the first day which is 20 miles,well within your hiking ability.
    Have your second car waiting for you at ashby gap, a small pull off along the moderately busy rt
    There are tent sites north of Dicks Dome,which is apx.4 miles south of ashby gap . Of course you could tent near the trail at the gap.

I'd definitely stay at Bears Den ,either in the hostel or pitching a tent in their campground.This is 13
    5 miles from your first nights stay.
    From there the hike inyo harpers ferry is a cake walk.
    I did something like this except I started at the 4-H center a little further south. You could always stay at Bears Den each of the first two nights.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Do include the bears den as it is a nice place to stay. Roller Coaster is a challenge as well but was not as difficult as I anticipated.

++ New Posts ++