WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hiker Death

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Apparently a thru hiker has been killed in Abingdon and we are trying to track down his belongings. His trail name was Biscuit. We are looking for his belongings. Does anyone here know him?
    his stuff has been found

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    At this point, the word "killed" might be inappropriate because we don't know the cause of death.
    my bad on that one, should have said died.......but that was the way it was brought to us around here....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    TOW, I don't know him, but check out Quahog's Journal, (ignore that title that says it's his 2013 hike; the post is dated April 16, 2013. Use the "find" feature with Biscuit as the search term (or just scroll down to the second paragraph. Maybe you can contact Quahog and ask him.

Everyone else, TOW said in the 3rd post that he has spoken with Biscuit's mother. Therefore, I'm sure he did not misuse the term "killed", and also, obviously, the family has been contacted.

Let's be thoughtful here.

Thank you for doing this TOW. Good luck. Such sorrow.
    Found out it was not his mother I was speaking to but his sister, none the less......

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    ***??............
    Crusinsusan... What's up? ^^^

What's up with this???

Everyone else, TOW said in the 3rd post that he has spoken with Biscuit's mother. Therefore, I'm sure he did not misuse the term "killed", and also, obviously, the family has been contacted.

Found out it was not his mother I was speaking to but his sister, none the less......
    Thanks for keeping us informed TOW.

my bad on that one, should have said died.......but that was the way it was brought to us around here....
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post

TOW seems to disagree with you. Let's just leave the speculation alone until we get some concrete word.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    TOW seems to disagree with you. Let's just leave the speculation alone until we get some concrete word.
    That was not HMKD that said that it was crusinsusan.

Not commenting on the post just trying to get the attribution correct.

Oh, my bad... Confusing use of quotes there. Either way, I don't see the need for any comments in here other than those that are actually receiving confirmed information from reliable sources.

RIP to the hiker. Sad to hear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    RIP to the hiker. Sad to hear.
    Yes it is. Prayers to the family.

My bad, for a careful reading and going by what the OP said. I did whatever I could to try and find someone who might know him.

HM, how in the world was anyone here suppose to know what you were referring to?

Anyway, let's be respectful of the deceased and his family and NOT do anything else in this thread.

From reading the Quahog trailjournal about Biscuit, I'm saddened that I never had an opportunity to meet this obviously cheerful, fun, loving and loved man. I think there can be no greater monument to his spirit than the biscuit-dough story. I'm sad for his family.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Apparently a thru hiker has been killed in Abingdon and we are trying to track down his belongings. His trail name was Biscuit. We are looking for his belongings. Does anyone here know him?
    Does this mean in Abingdon, Va or in Abingdon Shelter or ??. And did anyone find out yet if it was a homicide or not? I'm planning on hiking thru there next week, just curious.

BTW, I'm not on Facebook so I can't follow it that way.

It is a sad day when a hiker passes away on the trail. Most fatalities are from heart attacks or other inherent medical issues that occur on the trail. I have run into hikers whom came upon these issues firsthand like the hiker I ran into whom saw a older day hiker whom had passed away on top of a mountain and his wife propped him against a tree and had pinned a note to his shirt stating that she was going down to contact the authorities. Its sad, but it does happen.

Does anyone know if this was a homocide ? Natural causes? Very sad either way : ( Just curious for my own personal safety and if other hikers need to be aware.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Does this mean in Abingdon, Va or in Abingdon Shelter or ??. And did anyone find out yet if it was a homicide or not? I'm planning on hiking thru there next week, just curious.
    This was not on the trail. It was in Abingdon, VA from what I was told.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

According to his daughter, he was found unresponsive at a home near the AT and was pronounced dead. While the autopsy has not yet revealed a cause of death it did show that no foul play was involved.

I hope this stops the speculation as to what happened. At some point in time this thread will probably be read by a family member.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    It is a sad day when a hiker passes away on the trail. Most fatalities are from heart attacks or other inherent medical issues that occur on the trail. I have run into hikers whom came upon these issues firsthand like the hiker I ran into whom saw a older day hiker whom had passed away on top of a mountain and his wife propped him against a tree and had pinned a note to his shirt stating that she was going down to contact the authorities. Its sad, but it does happen.
    Two years ago, my friend's dad died on a solo day hike on his favorite trail in Arizona. Two other hikers found him early the next morning. While my friend rightfully grieved, he also took comfort that his dad died doing the thing he loved most on the trail he loved best.

Journal Entries

Its good to know that foul play wasnt involved.
    I think that was a big concern by many people reading this.
    Very unfortunate.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-15-2013 at 22:28.

Journal Entries
    Images

It has been confirmed that the hikers death was not a homicide.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++