WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

And, the incident made the New York Times:
    http://wap.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...h.html?from=us

There was coverage, just not alot of followup. Maybe local papers will do that.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Cooker, yes, the insurance investigation will necessarily continue. Perhaps civil too, that's a point.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

I am in the Collision business. I hope the Cadillac has good coverage. Many states only require a minimum of liability coverage. And folks tend to take that minimum on older vehicles. Then lawyers must get involved.

This was the official release from the DPD just hours after the incident. It isn't quite right on the numbers but is close.Press release.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by No Pepsi View Post
    And BTW... those of you pooh poohing the estimate of 50-60 people, he freaking hit that many. Just because they didn't get airlifted out, doesn't mean they weren't injured.
    This statement is incorrect. The driver hit around 10-12 people.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    This was the official release from the DPD just hours after the incident. It isn't quite right on the numbers but is close.Press release.jpg
    Interesting, the press release says the driver was participating in the parade. If that's so and he was somehow authorized or invited to participate, he may not be the only one facing liability claims.

Images

yeesh,
    the guy had a medical emergency and apparently passed out behind the wheel.
    this isnt necessarily age related, could happen to anyone.
    as far as liability claims, no one was injured seriously, Rainbow Bright suffered a broken pinky toe.
    seems like a lot of lawyers out there.
    who can i sue?
    and if dmv says he can drive, who's anyone to say differently?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    and if dmv says he can drive, who's anyone to say differently?
    That ain't saying much. Last year, my 87 year old uncle got a family member to take him to the DMV to renew his license. He FAILED the sign test. He FAILED the vision test. DMV renewed his license. (we don't let him drive anyway, but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    OK, lets get this thread back on track an stop the bickering and speculation. If you don't have facts or anything to back what your posting then please don't post anything.
    This thread and any other thread on this subject will be closed if bickering and speculation continues. We do not need to having people speculating in second guessing what happened in a tragedy like this.
    Thank you
    Seconded, no need to bicker about it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

...as far as liability claims, no one was injured seriously, Rainbow Bright suffered a broken pinky toe.
    seems like a lot of lawyers out there....
    I was under the impression that the injuries to Rainbow Bright and Chilly Willy were serious enough to warrant medical attention and the attendant costs for which the driver should be liable. Forget for a moment the strict legal liabilities, lawsuits, et. al. - it's a matter of personal responsibility. You drive, you cause an accident, people are hurt from this causal event: you are responsible. Own up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I was under the impression that the injuries to Rainbow Bright and Chilly Willy were serious enough to warrant medical attention and the attendant costs for which the driver should be liable. Forget for a moment the strict legal liabilities, lawsuits, et. al. - it's a matter of personal responsibility. You drive, you cause an accident, people are hurt from this causal event: you are responsible. Own up.

My experience is that does not happen. The insurance company will find fault in the folks that got hit! And that is NO joke.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been out ridgerunning SNP and just heard about this. SO sorry but I was also really uplifted by the true acts of heroism I have been hearing about.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

yeesh,
    the guy had a medical emergency and apparently passed out behind the wheel.
    this isnt necessarily age related, could happen to anyone.
    Anyone? Just a medical condition?

The perp was BEHIND the ambulances and made the conscious decision to drive around them. This is hardly the actions of someone simply "passing out".

Based on reports of him passing the ambulances, I would view his conduct as criminal. I had first not felt that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Anyone? Just a medical condition?

The perp was BEHIND the ambulances and made the conscious decision to drive around them. This is hardly the actions of someone simply "passing out".

Based on reports of him passing the ambulances, I would view his conduct as criminal. I had first not felt that way.
    Some people are reporting that he tried to leave Sun Dog Outfitters at one point and the police wouldn't let him and he got mad.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Some people are reporting that he tried to leave Sun Dog Outfitters at one point and the police wouldn't let him and he got mad.
    I know there is a picture on the back of the pack, around Cowboys, and no Caddie in front of the ambulances can be seen.

I know there is a picture on the back of the pack, around Cowboys, and no Caddie in front of the ambulances can be seen.
    Here's one I got. See for yourself. Trail Days 2013 054.jpg Doyle brought up the rear. In front of him is the class of 2014. It ain't the best pic but you can see no car between the last hikers and the ambulances.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

This utube video clearly shows where the Caddy was at the beginning of the parade. It was posted on this thread back on post 117 by Woverine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzZ1SzxeEQ You can see the driver clearly sitting behind the wheel.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I know this is off topic CM but we (I) need you to update your TJ. I'm losing focus of your goal
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Here's one I got. See for yourself. Trail Days 2013 054.jpg Doyle brought up the rear. In front of him is the class of 2014. It ain't the best pic but you can see no car between the last hikers and the ambulances.
    i firmly believe this caddy came out of my street on Doyle's left or the car wash. he was clearly not in the parade. he must have taken a left onto 4th st. then a right onto alley st. or railroad ave. the left into the crowd

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++