WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default just have to brag :)

I've been preparing for my section hike (from Fontana to Springer later this week) since Thanksgiving. Originally, it was to be me & my cousin's wife, then the husbands decided to join us for three days. Now, my fourteen year old son and his girlfriend will be going with us for three days.

It's the girlfriend who I am so proud of. My son has been backpacking since he was two - this is nothing new to him. His girlfriend is from a non-outdoorsy family, but she has been on several hikes with us in the last six months (most recently, Springer to Hightower). She is so excited about this upcoming hike that she had her grandmother take her to rei to get a new osprey pack for her birthday - which she is having the lid monogrammed. Today, she is practicing hanging her hammock so that she doesn't have to ask for help. When we did our last hike, it rained 85% of the time... and she kept smiling.

I love when girls this age are excited about outdoor pursuits rather than shopping & texting!!!

Mine is all about the shopeene...ugh! I tell her I like shopping, for backpacks tents, food, doodads.....she's not impressed.

Images

The boy's girlfriend spent FOUR hours with me in TWO over spring break. It was so cool. She is awesome.

That's something to brag about?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    That's something to brag about?
    An on top of it teen that you are helping to get outdoors in a serious way? Heck yeah!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minda View Post
    I've been preparing for my section hike (from Fontana to Springer later this week) since Thanksgiving. Originally, it was to be me & my cousin's wife, then the husbands decided to join us for three days. Now, my fourteen year old son and his girlfriend will be going with us for three days.

It's the girlfriend who I am so proud of. My son has been backpacking since he was two - this is nothing new to him. His girlfriend is from a non-outdoorsy family, but she has been on several hikes with us in the last six months (most recently, Springer to Hightower). She is so excited about this upcoming hike that she had her grandmother take her to rei to get a new osprey pack for her birthday - which she is having the lid monogrammed. Today, she is practicing hanging her hammock so that she doesn't have to ask for help. When we did our last hike, it rained 85% of the time... and she kept smiling.

I love when girls this age are excited about outdoor pursuits rather than shopping & texting!!!
    I love that she is practicing on her own, so she doesn't have to ask for help. That tells me she is loving her time in the outdoors and is eager to increase her personal knowledge. Congratulations to both of you! That is definitely something to brag about.

Images

Sorry, Fredmugs. I'm no hero (that's my husband); I teach school. When I brag, it's about kids -either mine or someone else's - who does something awesome. And, yes, a kid who was never in the outdoors before last December enjoying it so much that she's practicing skills on her own? Yup, in my world, that IS something to brag about.

"I believe that children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way."

Images

The boy's girlfriend spent FOUR hours with me in TWO over spring break. It was so cool. She is awesome.
    Stupid autocorrect. We spent FOUR hours at REI.

Sorry, Fredmugs. I'm no hero (that's my husband); I teach school. When I brag, it's about kids -either mine or someone else's - who does something awesome. And, yes, a kid who was never in the outdoors before last December enjoying it so much that she's practicing skills on her own? Yup, in my world, that IS something to brag about.

"I believe that children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way."
    I keep forgetting that we live in an Every Kid Wins a Medal society where we reward them for anything they do. You can be proud (I guess) but it's definitely nothing to brag about.

Images

I keep forgetting that we live in an Every Kid Wins a Medal society where we reward them for anything they do. You can be proud (I guess) but it's definitely nothing to brag about.
    I keep forgetting that we live in a society where everyone gets to be a dick.

All she was doing was bragging on her son's girlfriend about how the kid has taken to the outdoors, had nothing to do with every kid wins a medal... but you just had to be a badass and crap on her thread.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Oh, stop being such a curmudgeon Fred. It's her thread and you don't have to read it. After finally getting my girlie-girl daughter on the trail at age 20, I certainly understand how great it is to see someone enjoy the experience.

Now, having a full-time girlfriend at age 14 -- that's a lot earlier than when I was growing up!

well said :-)

Images

Good job, Minda! It's such a joy to open the door to a new world (the real world of Nature!) for someone, and watch them walk through with pleasure.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

And Fred, this is definitely NOT about every kid winning a medal. I sincerely doubt the girl did this in order to be mentioned on WB, if she even has any idea what that is. She might have started off doing it to please her boyfriend, but what Minda is saying is that she enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment learning to do something new gave her, and then ended up enjoying the whole experience for its own sake. THAT is what Minda was sharing with us.

The bragging part of the story is that her son picked a great girlfriend. :-)
    Last edited by Marta; 05-20-2013 at 09:03.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Hate to be a downer, but I fear you may have triggered an addiction that will cost that poor girl, and perhaps your son if he's smart, a lifetime of spending money to support this habit you are bragging about so much. Enablers - all of you!!!!

brag (brg) v. bragged, brag·ging, brags
    v.intr. To talk boastfully. See Synonyms at boast1.

v.tr. To assert boastfully.

n. 1. A boast.
    2. Arrogant or boastful speech or manner.
    3. Something boasted of.
    4. A braggart; a boaster.

Images

brag (brg) v. bragged, brag·ging, brags
    v.intr. To talk boastfully. See Synonyms at boast1.

v.tr. To assert boastfully.

n. 1. A boast.
    2. Arrogant or boastful speech or manner.
    3. Something boasted of.
    4. A braggart; a boaster.

Let it go Fred

Images

minda,

Nothing wrong with being proud of her. Feel free to brag all you want.

Seeing kids grow and learn is always worth bragging about

Section Hiker

I enjoyed the story, minda, made me smile! Love it when kids get outside and begin to experience living!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Wow.

Thanks to those of you who understood my reason for posting. I enjoy seeing the excitement on the face of a young person who is experiencing the outdoors for the first time. A whole new world has opened up to her - and, yes, she's been bitten by the gear addiction. It's pretty awesome.

As for the vocabulary lesson, thank you for being such a kind teacher. I have learned so much...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++