WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I would like to have Jack and others tell us what they think about hikers taking part in a fraud on Maine taxpayers.

Weary
    My experince with Maine taxation as an out-of-stater has not been pleasant, to the tune of thousands of dollars, so I am biased here.

But I still see Maine as incredibly greedy with taxing out-of-staters, not just income, but grabbing everything imaginable.

The fact that maine legistators grab more out of state money to pay for running their state is their right. It isn't the taxpayers who are being defrauded. It is the great [sic] state of maine.

My own state also grabs money from tourists, as do many states. Maine just goes so far overboard I have a hard time finding sympathy.

However, I do understand that just or not, the tax is a law.

ButI think that if you want to get more money for the state, try taxing some of the non-profits in the state. You think Maine should have more money, first get it at source. You get money from someone, you pay tax on it.

whether you are in the land buying business or the hotel business, pay taxes on the money that comes in.

There is no moral reason for some of the non-taxable entities in the state. You get money, you pay tax on it.

Are your thoughts different if the rules are arranged so that not only someone else, but it is you who is paying the tax?
    Frosty

Maine is one of the most heavily taxed states in the Union. Everything is expensive in Maine. I'm not saying that you shouldn't pay the rooms taxes, but it's hard to feel sorry for The State of Maine when it taxes the heck out of pretty much everything.

Massachusetts and New York are also notable for taxing everything and everyone in sight. Double dipping is the rule with the individual taxpayer being responsible to get their money back from one state or the other for the taxes paid on income earned in a non-resident state.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Maine Rooms and Meals Tax = 7%
    NH Rooms and Meals Tax = 8%

"Live Free or Die"
    Roland

Those who avoid paying the Maine tax are shorting the state of the money they are anxiously expecting to protect the Trail in Maine from Plum Creek.

(Sarcasm included)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++