Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Registered User Paisley1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-24-2011
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    34

    Default Off trail... what next?

    I started at Amicoloa Falls on April 13 this year. I just got off trail in Hot Springs. Is there a support group for people who tried to section hike and made the choice to leave?

    Brakes

  2. #2

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley1985 View Post
    I started at Amicoloa Falls on April 13 this year. I just got off trail in Hot Springs. Is there a support group for people who tried to section hike and made the choice to leave?

    Brakes
    this is it.
    tell us about it

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,755

    Default

    Not to beat you over the head with having to get off the trail but that's the funniest thing I've heard all day - a support group for those who had to get off the trail. I think I'll start a support group for this - hikers who had to get off the trail. Yes, tell the group your name. You can identify yourself with a trail name if that's more comfortable. Uh huh. So you are saying you feel helpless. You've lost your focus. Uh huh. Ok here are some meds so you can calm down and sleep. Will talk again next wk. You can pay the receptionist on the way out.

    There is usually a short period of readjustment that occurs when you haven't met the mark you set for yourself. You might look at it this way. At least you got out there. The AT from AFSP to HS is a nice hike too. How did you and how are you benefit(ing) by the hike you did? Let's focus on that! Seriously, what happened? Tell us about it.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,755

    Default

    Fess up HB. You saw that name and age too! Here here come lay your head on HB's shoulder. That's aimed at HB.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    "tried" to section hike?
    springer to hot springs sounds like a pretty good one.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Fess up HB. You saw that name and age too! Here here come lay your head on HB's shoulder. That's aimed at HB.
    hey im dyin to get back out there. had off thursday and did a 17 mile loop in harriman, but its not the same!!
    this moring on the way to work i felt the tendrils of stress beginning to engage me(fortunately im quick to recognize this and can relax myself easily) but it reminded me of how stress free life was for the 6 weeks i was out there.im still adjusting after 2 weeks home and my second week back at work, relearning finding the joy in day to day living.
    fortunately its spring up here finally and with flowers blooming, rain or shine, its easy to be grateful for having woken up on the right side of the dirt.i heard from some of my trail companions today which made me even more home/trail-sick.maine in august.

    op, the best thing to do is start planning your next trip. i leave for maine august 9th.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,755

    Default

    I felt the tendrils of stress beginning to engage me.

    I love the wording. Did you get it from a Penthouse Letters story?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I felt the tendrils of stress beginning to engage me.

    I love the wording. Did you get it from a Penthouse Letters story?
    dont bother me while i play with my b-d's

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    dont bother me while i play with my b-d's
    That comment doesn't bode well with this, "fortunately im quick to recognize this and can relax myself easily!"

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,755

    Default

    :d:d:d:d:d......

  11. #11

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    That comment doesn't bode well with this, "fortunately im quick to recognize this and can relax myself easily!"
    playing with my b-d's has an immediate calming influence as i wrestle with ptsd-post-trail-stress-disorder.
    its also helped wean me off digging catholes in the backyard. my landlady was getting a little annoyed.

  12. #12

    Default

    I started march 10 in crappy weather made it to Erwin needed recoop time planning to get back on trail very very soon but everyday in "society" its like damnit I would rather be on trail resting and what not sometimes you feel like your making yourself crazy.... life of simplicity is well like nothing else but satisfying

  13. #13

    Default

    I clicked on the thread because I though someone was asking what is the next step after hiking long distance with no trail.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

  14. #14

    Default

    You walked over 270 miles. How many people do you know that have done that?


    ...kinda puts things in perspective doesn't it? If that's failure, you should be setting your sights on bigger challenges and failing at those too.

    Readjusting to society is much harder than climbing a mountain. The simple freedom you experience out there leaves you longing to go back.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-17-2013
    Location
    Utah
    Age
    45
    Posts
    127
    Images
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    You walked over 270 miles. How many people do you know that have done that?


    ...kinda puts things in perspective doesn't it? If that's failure, you should be setting your sights on bigger challenges and failing at those too.

    Readjusting to society is much harder than climbing a mountain. The simple freedom you experience out there leaves you longing to go back.
    ^This^

    Also, write it down. It will help you process and relive your experiences and writing captures memories that will fade with time and be forgotten if you don't document them.

  16. #16

    Default

    You have done alot more of the trail than a large percentage of the thru-hikers did this year, or last or any year for that matter! I would be really proud of that, why don't you section hike the AT, you did Springer to Hot Springs, come back next year and do HS to Erwin, and the year after that do another section and before you know it you will be in ME, and then you will be a 2,000 miler, most thru-hikers that quit don't come back, Be really proud of your self cause thats a helluva section.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    "tried" to section hike?
    springer to hot springs sounds like a pretty good one.
    Yeah, it took me a couple of years and multiple trips to get that far section hiking.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General


  18. #18
    illabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,286
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    You have done alot more of the trail than a large percentage of the thru-hikers did this year, or last or any year for that matter! I would be really proud of that, why don't you section hike the AT, you did Springer to Hot Springs, come back next year and do HS to Erwin, and the year after that do another section and before you know it you will be in ME, and then you will be a 2,000 miler, most thru-hikers that quit don't come back, Be really proud of your self cause thats a helluva section.
    of course if they quit, then they weren't really thru-hikers, were they?

  19. #19

    Join Date
    07-18-2010
    Location
    island park,ny
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,909
    Images
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    of course if they quit, then they weren't really thru-hikers, were they?
    technically everyones a section hiker till theyve completed the entire trail.
    semantics are great.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    "tried" to section hike?
    springer to hot springs sounds like a pretty good one.
    Yes, I agree. Did you mean "tried to thru hike"?

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •