WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Thru Hiker in Emergency Help needed!

Hi

I am a thru hiker, stranded in Luray, VA with lost wallet. I plan to arrive Harpers Ferry, W. VA this Monday. So I need some temporary help with cash for food and keep me moving... so if you can help contribute some money cash for my food, just send it to Allan Bernier, "Flash Hand" C/0 ATC 799 Washington St, Harpers Ferry, West VA 25425 So that I can have some cash to buy food, room and hostel uses, etc. I am working on receiving new bank replacement card. It may take a few days to process and I dont want to die hunger haha... Its only temporary. thank you very much for your help. Only send cash or donation tonight or tomorrow.. dont send it on Friday cuz it won't get in Harpers Ferry by Monday.

Flash Hand

Ask your family.

Images

What about lending from your fellow hikers?? When our friend got her gear stolen in Hot Springs, we sent a hat around collecting money for her. All it took was a couple bucks from each person to get her back on her feet. If you can't borrow from trail friends who can you??
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Ask your family.
    Maybe the poster shoud read the ongoing thread about self-sufficiency on the trail. This is a good example of what is being talked about. Why would somebody take 6 months out of their life and not plan for something like this?

To come on this forum asking for handouts is a little too much. A little over the line. It's a lot like buying a magic marker and scrapping a peice of cardboard. "Will hike for food" or something along those lines... I get enough of that in the city.

JMO...

Default your lost wallet

While you may well be legit, but posting on the internet like this..this could also be a scam. How can we know? You shoud ask fellow hikers. Expecting money to be freely given to you by posting on the web..well..that is just absurd. sorry.

You might as well sit on a bench in Central Park or Bostons public gardens and have a big sign out.. lost my job please give money.

If you are out for a 5-6 month hike on the AT..you do AT LEAST have an ATM card or credit card. Don't you? If so get them replaced. Talk to people at first town you come to. But dont expect anything from us web white blaze readers.

nhhiker

Images

hey i think we need to check this guy out. To a rookie cop this sounds a bit shady. Only send cash? any one out there hiking can varify flash hands real name? Sorry it must be this war making me all parinoid and stuff. I would have said send a postal money order for security but I wouldn't be looking for money on whiteblaze first off.

A train is right, where is this guys hiking buddies? Anyone hike with him?
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

How about a case of Oodles of Noodles instead of Cash?
    ad astra per aspera

What's so shady about begging?

GAME 2000
    Images

Flash Hand is one of our own - http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/all/page/1 . Sounds like he had a set back and was asking for a little help from his friends. He is deaf so losing his wallet may be a bit more problem for him because of communications in general and over the phone in particular. And cash is probably the only thing he can use for the short term since he lost his wallet and ID.

Youngblood

How does one get to VA without learning the term 'yogi'?

If you loose your wallet it probably be of no help unless you kept it seperate, but a Paypal debit/Mastercard would be ideal in a similar situation. After a quick email, the loosee could be drinking beer and eating steak.

Think I'll bring mine next hike!

I was going to send you a maildrop of food, you don't need cash on the trail. I would have been glad to help if you had asked for food, boot wax, candles, matchs, etc. to get you to the next drop. But this whole thing smells worse than my husbands hiking socks!!!!

tideblazer
    Images

gimme a break........
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Angry tell me ,do you really want me to beleave you?

i think you did not loose your money i think you just looking for a mark to get some free money,i have herd of you or some body like you last year on the trail to all hikers dont fall for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! undefined
    wolf

While it may be a bit over the line to use the forums for fund raising/begging, it is even more over the line to accuse a man of lies and deception.

No one is forced to give Flash Hand a handout. Anyone could send him a food drop or prepay a night at a hostel for him. Only those very familiar with him should feel free to make accusations, and back those accusations up with something more than "i have herd of you or some body like you last year."

The accusations are as impressive as the grammar.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Flash Hand,<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

I must admit that I was surprised by the apparent lack of compassion demonstrated in this thread. After reading your trail journal however, I too am skeptical.<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Convince me that this is a bona fide emergency and I’ll help.<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->On the other hand, if this situation is a result of squandering your monthly check on a vacation in DC, lots of zeros and partying, etc, you’ll have difficulty convincing me to support your 6-month vacation, while I bust my ass working 50 hrs/week.<o =""></o><!--[endif]-->

Roland

Well I agree with most of the above, sounds a little funky coming on here asking for money, it would anyof us just as long to get him a money as it would for his family to do the same, besides how would he cash it anyways without any I.D. Also if the person is in luray and doesn't anything until they get to Harpers Ferry, then what the problem, his family and friends should be able to get him what needs and have it waitning for him when he gets there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Flash Hand,<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

I must admit that I was surprised by the apparent lack of compassion demonstrated in this thread. After reading your trail journal however, I too am skeptical.<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->Convince me that this is a bona fide emergency and I’ll help.<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->On the other hand, if this situation is a result of squandering your monthly check on a vacation in DC, lots of zeros and partying, etc, you’ll have difficulty convincing me to support your 6-month vacation, while I bust my ass working 50 hrs/week.<O =""></O><!--[endif]-->

Roland
    I think he has the money, but doesn't have access to it at the moment. If you have a fat bank account but your ATM card is stolen, it takes a while to get to it.
    Anyways, good luck finding food. Maybe look at the hiker boxes? I find it hard to believe that someone would join WB just to rip people off 2 years later.

What would Earl have done 50-some years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    What would Earl have done 50-some years ago?
    The same thing he would have done, a few years before his death, when he last hiked the AT. He would have "worked for food" on his way up the trail. This is assuming he was careless enough to lose the few bucks he would have had.
    R.I.P. Earl!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++