Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Planning 2013 AT hike..looking for other women 50+ to hike with.me..leave late march

I have had this dream for a long time and now have the time and opportunity to attempt a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. I have done some backpacking and I am a positive can do kind of person. I am looking for other women who have the same desire. We can encourage and support each other and hopefully succeed in our attempt to travel over 2000 mile from Georgia to Maine. Are you in? Lets Go....Let me hear from you.

Journal Entries
    Images

HI Inch-by-inch..I have a blog on whiteblaze (re March 2013 hike). I will be 60 this November and plan to retire the end of this year. I, too, have a dream of attempting the AT thru-hike also in March 2013. Let's definitely keep in touch!

Journal Entries

hope you got my reply...

Images

It sounds great!! I too am hopefully going to start in March of 2013. I tried in 2009, but fractured my foot. I have been section hiking since then, but I still have the bug and want to thru hike next year! Lets keep in touch ladies.
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Journal Entries

Ladies...let's keep in touch for sure.... I am 65 years old and in good shape, I have backpacked in the Smokies,. Ohio and Pennsylvania. I feel like I could start out doing about 10 miles a day but am willing to go slower to start if that is what would work for you. Originally was going to hike with my husband but he is not going to be able to go so now he is my great encourager. I have alot of my gear but will probably have to add to what I have. I love being outside and just want to enjoy every moment. If I see a beautiful flower or awesome tree I want to stop and shall we say smell the roses I may never walk that way again....I hope you will join me on the journey of a lifetime...Connie

Images

Sounds great Connie. I have also done a lot of backpacking in the Smokies and Michigan, out west and of course, the AT. I also love to take some time to just enjoy the hike. Every chance I get, I get outside and really appreciate the views, smells and excersize.
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Images

Flame was an amazing 2011 thruhiker from Texas. I am sure she could answer any of your questions or concerns. Her email address is located at her Trailjournals website: http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=10756
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries

Thank you for the link...I'm sure we can use all the help and advice we can get.

Journal Entries
    Images

HI Everyone (especially Jeff):
    I actually followed Flame's entire journey (a Texan), as well as gipcgirl (an Australian). Flame left excellent notes regarding her mailings, and her journals were also enjoyable to read. Gipcgirl (sp.) was able to get her journal out only when she had access to a pc, and because of her visa status it was critical she got to Mt. Katahdin prior to her visa expiring - but I think she was able near the end to get an extension - I think. In any event, those two women are my heroines and inspiration! I am looking forward to following 2012 hikers my age...

I'm also planning on starting at Springer in March 2013. My plan's to hike from Georgia to CT... I live in VT and have already hiked the trail through this state and plan on section hiking MA and CT this coming summer, leaving NH and ME for the future. I'll be 55 in 2013 and have been approved for a leave from my school position from Feb. 15 through the end of the school year. Would love to meet some other age 50+ women on the trail! Can we all keep in touch somehow?

I will be hiking northbound in March would like to find someone to hike with, I am a newbie.

Journal Entries

I'm curious about what you said to get a leave approved. I tried, and our school board said no. Hopefully, I will be able to retire mid-year in 2013 because I plan on doing a thru hike, starting in mid April, 2013. Got any tips for the argument to leave then? I'll be nearly 62 at that time and will be walking my dream. Count me in, gals!

Slow n' Steady, I first spoke with our principal (who's an avid hiker), who told me to write a letter to the school board, requesting a leave. He told me that the superintendent would most likely then asked him if he'd approve a leave, and that's what happened. I will say, however, that our district has been good about granting leaves to people before, so I wasn't the first. I feel fortunate to work in a district where some flexibility is supported.

Journal Entries

vdeb: You do work for a great district. I went through the same process and was turned down. So now I will try to propose a plan where I will retire in mid-April (2013) and use my vacation days to finish out the year. Hopefully, they will support that. I know my principal will be supportive...it's the school board that I worry about. Thank you for your advice.

Hello everyone... I am taking that " Midnight Train to Georgia" in Mid April of this year 2012 and heading North from Springer. I'm going to walk until I'm ready to stop... who knows how far I'll get... I live in Virginia... I think I will try to walk home this year..... Hope to see one of you all on the trail?

Journal Entries
    Images

HI Ladies: If you're considering the thru-hike March 2013, please respond to this thread, and I will send you a private message. Thus far, it looks like there are 3 of us (myself, vtdeb, buzz48843) that will definitely attempt it. We're hoping to get several more to join our group, especially since vtdeb's plan is to go to Connecticut.

Inchbyinch: Several messages were sent to you, so we hope you are doing fine and still interested.

Images

My doctor told me he would write me a prescription to hike the AT in order to lower my cholesterol and lose weight among other things. My principal said the school board would have to approve it if it were doctor's orders. Maybe you could find yourself a sympathetic doctor? This is without pay of course. I won't be able to take advantage of this since the money isn't there, but it is an idea.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I'm in... I think - for a thru in March 2013. I'm doing Springer to Neels Gap next week. With all the dialog regarding bears in Jarrard Gap-Neels Gap area, and the severe weather lately, it could be interesting.

PM me about the long trip...

I hiked AT in GA, NC, TENN, Maine and NH last Spring and Summer. It was wonderful. I am 56 (55 then), and I know that all you ladies will enjoy the AT. It is a great experience. Make your hike your own whether you are "officially" hiking by yourself or you have an official partner. (You rarely hike by yourself ALL the time - there are so many interesting people to hook up with for an hour, a day or longer. At campsites, shelters, hostels and Zero Days - great folk abound!)
    Good Luck and Enjoy - Why Jay Brave
    "To resolve, is to succeed." Chinese Fortune Cookie

I'm planning on hiking 2013 also...so far I've found one hiking partner and we are looking for more! We are planning on leaving GA somewhere around March 20, 2013 but that's just a tentative date for now. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++