WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Art Loeb Trail water conditions

Has anyone recently hiked on the Art Loeb trail? I live here in Western North Carolina and it's been rainy lately. So I'm sure water won't be a concern. I was just wondering if there's an update out there. I'll be out there this weekend.

Thanks.

Images

Someone advised us to get a map and it came in handy as there was not much water on the trail. We were able to use the map to find out stream sources just below the gaps.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Thanks. There are a few posts on this site that list probable sources of water.

Also, it's been pretty wet lately so I'm sure there won't be any lack of water this weekend.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would suspect the trail will be quite muddy in the open areas.

Pisgah Inn has been reporting heavy water flows along the area MST sources and Looking Glass Falls.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Art Loeb Trail water conditions

I was on the art loeb thru the shinning rock wilderness a few weeks ago. No water on the ridges but good water in the gaps. If you plan right, you will be fine

Just got back from an overnighter. I went in at the East Fork Trailhead and up Old Butt Trail to Shining Rock Gap. There was a piped spring at the Gap that was running fine. I then hiked the Art Loeb trail up to Deep Gap and jumped on the short Cold Mtn trail. There was another piped spring about half the way up Cold Mtn that was running fine also (it is literally right on the trail). I turned around and went back to Shining Rock Gap and then took the Shining Rock Creek back to the trailhead. Needless to say, there was plenty of water in Shining Rock Creek after a short bit. It really builds into a large volume of water.

First time I had been to the Shining Rock Wilderness. The weather was perfect and there were some challenging trails and great views. Very much like the Smokies. The trip in from Asheville via the Blue Ridge Pkwy is very scenic.

++ New Posts ++