WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone have any thoughts on the Golite Trinity Malpais? I've seen it less that $100 @ 7oz. Seems like it hits all the specs, but I'm wondering how real world testing goes.

another vote for the packa gets rid of a pack cover also. makes a great pillow when not wet. my wife made me a cotton pillow case for it...kinda like a comfort of home for 1oz

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    I went to my local outfitter after work to see if they had any gear I still needed. While they didn't have a Marmot Mica, they did have one remaining Marmot Essence on sale for $110 (retail $185), in my size, and orange! I decided to purchase this and think it over later. Well, it's later

It does seem the Mica has more praise on WhiteBlaze, but there is still a lot of positives for the Essence jacket. The Essence is 1 oz. less, because it uses 1.6oz/yard MemBrain Strata vs. 2.2oz/yard in the Mica. I assume this makes the Mica slightly more durable (resistant to tears). I find it strange that the lighter fabric makes the Essence cost $40 more; maybe the technology to get the fabric that light costs more?

I think I'm going to keep the Essence unless anyone has any convincing last words I would be quite happy with the Mica too.
    When comparing these two Marmot Rain Jackets in the wt category know that the Essence(I' had one, 2008 version I think) does not entirely share the same features as the Mica.(regular Mica, not Super Mica). For instance the lower wt with the Essence once meant(last time I made the comparison) it had no hand pockets, adjustable wrist cuffs, or WP chest zip( I think Marmot has since gone with a WP chest zip). HINT: when comparing two like pieces of gear and one weighs less than the other VERY CAREFULLY RESEARCH how the lower wt is achieved and how that relates to other things. I didn't do this when I purchased the Essence(doing EXACTLY what you are doing being blinded to the consequences by the saving of an ounce or two) got on the trail and found water seeping in through the non WP chest zip, being uncomfortable and HOTTER with the elasticized non-adjustable wrists(it was hard for the tight wrists to be pushed up past my elbows), and REALLY had a hard time adjusting to NO hand pockets. Also, be clear that when comparing these two jackets what versions(model yrs) you are comparing. Mica hasn't has as long a run as the Essence so hasn't been changed much from yr to yr although I do notice a few confusing the Mica with the Super Mica. I've gone through 4 Micas in the last 5 yrs or so. With several rain jackets I've had delamination occur on the interior membranes. I had this occur with two Micas through NO FAULT of Marmot but because I got insect repellant on the inside of both. My go to rain jackets are the Marmot Mica and GoLite Malpais. The GoLite Malpais is another nice rain jacket that I have personal experience with. FOR ME, nice features, decent durability, with a lower wt.

O.R. helium 2.

OR HELIUM II. Perfect example of the need to know the version/model yr. OR Helium WAS NOT WP! OR HELIUM II has been improved to make it more in line with a rain jacket. I would put the older OR Helium jacket(which was sometimes touted as a rain jacket) in the same category as the now Sierra Designs Microlight jacket both of which ARE NOT true rain jackets but more, at least in my mind and use, wind jackets that were marginally OK for light drizzle or mist.If I want to adress rain I want a damn RAIN JACKET!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When comparing these two Marmot Rain Jackets in the wt category know that the Essence(I' had one, 2008 version I think) does not entirely share the same features as the Mica.(regular Mica, not Super Mica). For instance the lower wt with the Essence once meant(last time I made the comparison) it had no hand pockets, adjustable wrist cuffs, or WP chest zip( I think Marmot has since gone with a WP chest zip). HINT: when comparing two like pieces of gear and one weighs less than the other VERY CAREFULLY RESEARCH how the lower wt is achieved and how that relates to other things. I didn't do this when I purchased the Essence(doing EXACTLY what you are doing being blinded to the consequences by the saving of an ounce or two) got on the trail and found water seeping in through the non WP chest zip, being uncomfortable and HOTTER with the elasticized non-adjustable wrists(it was hard for the tight wrists to be pushed up past my elbows), and REALLY had a hard time adjusting to NO hand pockets. Also, be clear that when comparing these two jackets what versions(model yrs) you are comparing. Mica hasn't has as long a run as the Essence so hasn't been changed much from yr to yr although I do notice a few confusing the Mica with the Super Mica. I've gone through 4 Micas in the last 5 yrs or so. With several rain jackets I've had delamination occur on the interior membranes. I had this occur with two Micas through NO FAULT of Marmot but because I got insect repellant on the inside of both. My go to rain jackets are the Marmot Mica and GoLite Malpais. The GoLite Malpais is another nice rain jacket that I have personal experience with. FOR ME, nice features, decent durability, with a lower wt.
    Thanks for the extra info. The Essence I purchased is the latest version (the one for sale on Marmot's website). The latest Essence has waterproof zippers, but the cuffs are still elastic and there are no front pockets. I wore the jacket Sunday and Monday, hiking about 15 miles each day with an 18 pound pack, and rain about 75% of the time. It did keep me dry from the rain and kept me warmer when it was below 50 in the morning. It did exactly what I needed it to. I still wouldn't consider it fully tested, as it was only raining, not pouring. My favorite part of the jacket is probably the hood.

I liked the hood too. Didn't flop in my face if I recall. With HIKING rain jackets I want venting features but am not willing to pay the wt penalty for pit zips. The looser adjustable cuffs let me vent a tiny bit more and I think keep rain out better like when I lift my arm up than elasticized cuffs. I guess it's a matter of picking what works FOR YOU.

There's another post like this, somewhere that lists some other options. I used the TNF triumph anorak. Large size is 6oz (weighed by me). It's really just a lightweight pullover/hoodie design. It has one side pocket and a chest zipper. It's great for wind and rain and lasted the 2200 miles with one repair.

I presently have a Patagonia torrentshell jacket, but would opt for the FroggToggs if ever needed another one. Can't beat the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++