WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Campsites along river north of Hot Springs NC

I am getting ready to start a section hike from Hot Springs and was wondering if there were good campsites along the river before the trail starts to go uphill? And would those campsites be safe (not full of partiers) on a weekend? The next water source is 4 miles or so and it would be convenient for me to camp at the river the first night. Thanks for any info.

Journal Entries

Went thru there a few weeks ago. It looked like a good place to camp and several people were camping there. I stayed at the Laughing Heart hostel in Hot Springs. It's a good alternative.

Images

There is a car campground right on the river that is popular with hikers. It's just before you cross the bridge out of town nobo.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

It doesn't take that long to hike up to the top (it does go straight up) and there are a few nice spots overlooking the river.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Journal Entries
    Images

the campground does have nice site, but if you are talking about crossing the river & heading up the trail a bit then camping on the river, be cautious of all campsites near the river, river site are a known for many snakes especially after a heavy rain when the areas are extremely wet. Have Fun!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

There are a few flattish campsites on the side of the river before the climb to Lover's Leap. I wouldn't expect them to be empty this weekend though. The climb itself isn't too bad - there are 9 switchbacks.

I would recommend staying a one of the area's hostels the night before you start. That way you can hang out with some other hikers (thrus or not) and take advantage of the fact that Madison County (my home base) is no longer a dry county!

Quote Originally Posted by beaudetious View Post
    There are a few flattish campsites on the side of the river before the climb to Lover's Leap. I wouldn't expect them to be empty this weekend though. The climb itself isn't too bad - there are 9 switchbacks.

I would recommend staying a one of the area's hostels the night before you start. That way you can hang out with some other hikers (thrus or not) and take advantage of the fact that Madison County (my home base) is no longer a dry county!
    Nice to know. We will be in Hot Springs in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    It doesn't take that long to hike up to the top (it does go straight up) and there are a few nice spots overlooking the river.
    Is there water at the top? The AT book says the next water is at the pond about 4 mi further, but another book I have says there is water right at lovers leap. I'd hate to hike all the way up and be out of water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    Is there water at the top? The AT book says the next water is at the pond about 4 mi further, but another book I have says there is water right at lovers leap. I'd hate to hike all the way up and be out of water.
    You would have to carry it with you. That pond is pretty stagnant.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I've done the section between HS and Tanyard Gap probably 6 or more times now and I've just carried my water out of HS. Mill Pond is not "at the top" per se (though you can't get there without getting to the top of Lover's Leap) and it is stagnant and not a great source.

Past Tanyard Gap (you'll leave the woods, cross an over pass and reenter the woods) you'll find plenty of piped and unpiped sources before Rich Mountain firetower (about 2.4 miles from Tanyard Gap).

So, I'd recommend tanking up in HS and just cruise along past Mill Pond 'til you hit better, cleaner, more pristine water sources.

This section is really nice and the toughest part is at the beginning and it's not that bad all in all.

++ New Posts ++