WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    its actually the debate along with the drama that follows that many here crave.its like arguing about your favorite baseball team.at the end of the day, we all love baseball.
    That's actually a really good analogy...Yankees blow!

Sorry....ta keepin it rude!

Journal Entries
    Images

lots of 'tude here... I will come back a little later,,, RS knock the socks off the teenagers... please...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Blaming rude remarks on the Internet makes little sense to me. We are all people.
    So if a lady in line at a circle K asks if she can win anything on a daily pick 3 lottery by only matching 2 letters, do you think as the person standing inline behind her you would have a need to point out the obvious by telling her it was a silly question? Let it go. If you don't have anything nice to say, or helpful, stay out of it.
    I might suggest as a question the idea of removing the number of posts on users names. Sometimes trolls see that as a badge to legitimize their thoughts.
    As for the lady... The answer was no.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    Blaming rude remarks on the Internet makes little sense to me. We are all people.
    So if a lady in line at a circle K asks if she can win anything on a daily pick 3 lottery by only matching 2 letters, do you think as the person standing inline behind her you would have a need to point out the obvious by telling her it was a silly question? Let it go. If you don't have anything nice to say, or helpful, stay out of it.
    I might suggest as a question the idea of removing the number of posts on users names. Sometimes trolls see that as a badge to legitimize their thoughts.
    Those are fine ideals.........but, you need more time here for us to take you sneriously

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    I agree. Rude seems to be the norm here at times. However, someone who is easily upset is never going to last on this site. But the "old timers" should also know that most of us could care less about winning their approval.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    I agree. Rude seems to be the norm here at times. However, someone who is easily upset is never going to last on this site. But the "old timers" should also know that most of us could care less about winning their approval.
    While there have certainly been and will continue to be rude comments posted on this site and elsewhere, I suspect that many see any comment that does not explicitly validate their post as falling into that category.

Hypothetical example:

New Poster 1: I am thinking about buying a sheath knife for my thru hike. I like the Tonto style, what do you think? I saw a 7" version on sale a Cabellas.

"Old Timer": I think carrying any sheath knife on a thru is a crazy. For myself and the scores of thru hikers I have hiked with, weight has always been important. At most, they carry something small-- sometimes as small as a Leatherman Micra. When you are on the trail you soon realize that I knife is not needed for personal protection-- just cutting salami and such. My advise-- leave the big blade in the tackle box.

"New Age Hiker": I understand why you someone new to the trail would want to carry a knife, and that is certainly an individual choice made by some small percentage of hikers. But I think you check round you will discover most thru hikers just carry a pen knife or something small. That said, if you do carry a sheath knife, I really like the look of a Tonto blade-- Its cool.

If my theory is correct, many of the more delicate personalities in this thread would find the first post rude-- they really would prefer the second reply. Which is to say that validation is all important. And they see rudeness where it does not exist.

Nothing wrong with that, but I do think it wrong to expect validation at all turn on a hiking and trail site. Peoples personalities should not be stifled here in an effort to be more PC. Those a the margins will be balanced out by others-- there are no individuals dominating the conversation here.

Agree with you that many posters are offended if they don't receive the answer they want to hear. That's their problem. If you don't want various opinions - don't ask the question. I was not referring to equipment however when I referred to the adulation that many members with senority on this site seem to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Those are fine ideals.........but, you need more time here for us to take you sneriously
    So do you

BTW, shouldn't that be "sneeriously?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    Dam, I'll have to quit trying so hard.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    So do you

BTW, shouldn't that be "sneeriously?"
    I know my place....that's why I'm not so snarky yet.......I never sneer......I growl!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    That's actually a really good analogy...Yankees blow!
    Go Yankees!

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    While there have certainly been and will continue to be rude comments posted on this site and elsewhere, I suspect that many see any comment that does not explicitly validate their post as falling into that category.

Hypothetical example:

New Poster 1: I am thinking about buying a sheath knife for my thru hike. I like the Tonto style, what do you think? I saw a 7" version on sale a Cabellas.

"Old Timer": I think carrying any sheath knife on a thru is a crazy. For myself and the scores of thru hikers I have hiked with, weight has always been important. At most, they carry something small-- sometimes as small as a Leatherman Micra. When you are on the trail you soon realize that I knife is not needed for personal protection-- just cutting salami and such. My advise-- leave the big blade in the tackle box.

"New Age Hiker": I understand why you someone new to the trail would want to carry a knife, and that is certainly an individual choice made by some small percentage of hikers. But I think you check round you will discover most thru hikers just carry a pen knife or something small. That said, if you do carry a sheath knife, I really like the look of a Tonto blade-- Its cool.

If my theory is correct, many of the more delicate personalities in this thread would find the first post rude-- they really would prefer the second reply. Which is to say that validation is all important. And they see rudeness where it does not exist.

Nothing wrong with that, but I do think it wrong to expect validation at all turn on a hiking and trail site. Peoples personalities should not be stifled here in an effort to be more PC. Those a the margins will be balanced out by others-- there are no individuals dominating the conversation here.
    rickb.... would I be considered the "New Age Hiker"? I think I can relate to that one, somewhat.

I think it has to do with ones own personality and what one was exposed to growing up. I don't like to be mean or rude to anyone... that's just me. I was never treated that way growing up, myself. I'm serious when I say that I never even heard the words "shut up" spoken me or to anyone close to me growing up.
    I'm 54 now so I've seen and heard a lot of different ways that others interact with each other. I can honestly say, I can't quite understand it. When my personal emotional buttons are pushed, I can dish it out, no prob. But, I can't be rude or mean, without cause, to peeps I don't really know on or off the grid.
    Like the example of someone thinking of bringing a big knife on the trail.. I wouldn't tell them it's a crazy idea... I don't feel the need. I would try to understand why they felt the need to carry a knife like that and go from there..... common sense tells me that if I tell them it's a crazy idea, right away, I could loose their respect for my opinion so why bother typing a response to begin with? I figure I would just come across as a know-it-all smart arse.. woo hoo!!

I really enjoy seeing others do it differently than me. I find it interesting.

If I think someone is making a poor choice, I try to tell them in a constructive way so they will actually hear what I'm saying instead of blowing me off. Is this a case of having a delicate personality or is it true that people are, in reality, being rude? That is the question. I think the answer is found in questioning people that post on this site. How do they feel? Do they have issue's with others that don't agree with them or is it something else, sometimes? That is the question.

Now, the peeps that are close to me. Relating to them in a constructive manner, all the time, is hard. Sometimes you just let it fly with them. I hate that. Why oh why???? That's when one is the most thankful for unconditional love.

Images

Hypothetical example:

Very thoughtful answer. Reminded me of an ancient Persian story :

Once a king woke up and remembered that last night he dreamed that all of his teeth has fallen off. He asked for some expert to interpret his dream.
    The first one came and said that the interpretation is that all of the kings close relative will die before him. The second one interpretation was that king would live longer than all of his close relatives. The king punished the first interpreter and paid the second a hefty reward. In reality, Their interpretation was exactly the same but with two different approach.

We can say the same thing in a comment with bad word choices or we can chocolate coat it and both could be the same comment in different wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    splenda?heresy.
    Despite what you think about Splenda, (and I'm starting to come around to the view that it is no good for you to eat), Wendy's uses real ice cream in their cone. How do I know? Well, I am lactose intolerant and have to take a Lactaid tablet before eating ice cream. I forgot to take the Lactaid when I ate the Wendy's cone and got a little sick. When I have the McFlurry, I don't need the Lactaid tablet, and I never get sick. What does that tell you about the ingredients McDonalds uses?

But the McFlurry spoon is kind of nice! See why:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1439266

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Greenman View Post
    Not new to hiking/backpacking, but certainly new to WB - I consider myself nonjudgmental, but how long can you patiently field questions like:

Will my feet hurt?
    Do I need to bring a tent or shelter?
    Should I expect to get wet?
    etc.

The restraint and tact most of you use to answer the same questions for the upteenth time borders on the Divine! js
    Yes. A lot of these people have the patience of Job.

Myself.... Not so much.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    But the McFlurry spoon is kind of nice! See why:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1439266

shameless rude plug

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    shameless rude plug
    I know, but I don't make any money out of it. In fact, it costs me $1.79 (for the McFlurry) + 8% meal tax (for our Governor) every time I want to make a McSpork!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

There are also some people on here that think you are trolling if you don't agree with their dogma. And quite a few that don't understand satire or hyperbole. And those that think their fragile feelings are good enough reason to stifle debate.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    There are also some people on here that think you are trolling if you don't agree with their dogma. And quite a few that don't understand satire or hyperbole. And those that think their fragile feelings are good enough reason to stifle debate.
    Bronk, Most people can't tell satire or hyperbole in written communications and seem to have even more trouble understanding it on this forum. I get your kind humor and am often quite amused by your posts, however in order for most folks to understand that you're joking you need to pepper your remarks with theses obnoxious little smiley things....
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++