WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Personally, when responding to other people's posts and questions, I see no need to "affirm" other people, or to be politically correct, or to worry if my responses might hurt their feelings (or worry if my responses might hurt some other WhiteBlaze member's feelings). In many of the fields (that I have worked in) direct or blunt responses are not considered rude. Such answers are actually valued and appreciated. If some people find such bluntness to be "rude"--so be it. Different strokes for different folks.

If someone asks: "Will I be O.K. if start from Springer in early March with a 40 degree sleeping bag?" And, if I think that they would be a "dang fool" to start with a 40 degree bag, I am going to say: "I think you would be a dang fool to use just a 40 degree sleeping bag starting from Springer in early March". Why should I sugar coat my response? Why should I be concerned that the original poster (or someone else) might have their feelings hurt by my response? In this hypothetical example, the original poster asked for our individual and/or collective opinion(s) regard using a 40 degree sleeping bag in early March. If it is indeed my (or anyone else's) opinion that the person would be "a dang fool" to use a 40 degree bag i early March, why should I (or anyone else) hesitate to express that opinion? It is indeed my opinion--and that is what the OP asked for.

Personally, if I am the one who is asking if I should use a 40 degree bag in early March--I really WANT to know if you think that I would be a "dang fool" to do so. I don't want you to give me some sugar-coated, watered down, politically correct response. Frankly, my health, safety and overall comfort would possibly be at risk if I used a 40 degree bag in early March. Thus, why should you worry about hurting my feelings? In such a scenario, I NEED you to be blunt and I need you get my attention. You will have not helped me if you worried about hurting my feelings.

Many years ago, my young (autistic) son was running toward the street in front of our house. Cars were coming down the street. I ran even faster than my son, and gently "tackled" him just before he walked in front of a speeding car. Yes, I scared him. Yes, I hurt his feelings and even made him cry. Yes, by tackling him, I stopped him from doing what he really wanted to do. I kept him from achieving his goal. Yes, he was not able to "Hike His Own Hike" (into the direct path of oncoming cars). I ask you: What was more important--attempting to preserve my son's health, comfort and safety---or preserving his feelings and his desire to Hike His Own Hike? Should I have reasoned with him, affirmed him and been concerned about his feelings---or should I have tackled him before the car struck him?

It is my opinion, if someone poses a question on WhiteBlaze, we OWE them our honest, direct, non-sugar-coated response. We do not help them if we do otherwise.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

It surprises me how many of the questions posed here can be answered by reading the articles posted here or by buying the Thru Hikers Companion or AWOL'S AT Guide. When I first discovered WB, that was the first thing I did was read the articles. It surpised me how much hiking had changed since my last trek thru the Grand Canyon. I learned alot and still go back and reread the articles from time to time.

I suppose it would get tiring answering the same questions over and over again about what is "THE BEST" thing or way to do something. However I was brought up to remember where I came from and not forget that at one time I didn't know everything and had to ask questions to learn. While I think you don't have to be rude in answering questions, you do need to enpart on people when they are trying to do something that is dangerous to their health or safety.

Maybe PMags, Datto, Sgt. Rock or one Wolf could write an article directed at new people that covers the most frequently asked questions and advice given. Then again getting them to read it is another. Perhaps making it a prerequisite to posting would be the answer. Stepping down from soap box.
    Blackheart

I haven't spent much time on WB, recently. In fact, it's been 1.5 years since my last post. But this morning, I browsed the forum a while and got reacquainted with the place.

From my perspective, the overall tone is considerably more civil than it once was.

Carry on.
    Roland

i do have to say after reading through all these posts that i do have a better outlook on the posters here the good FAR outweigh the bad. yall have a great day

The first couple of posts on any thread is useally Intelligent and goes to the point then after that everybody seems to want to do their own thing, but thats WB, WELCOME TO WB!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I haven't spent much time on WB, recently. In fact, it's been 1.5 years since my last post. But this morning, I browsed the forum a while and got reacquainted with the place.

From my perspective, the overall tone is considerably more civil than it once was.

Carry on.
    Recently I have been on other blogs - and got a taste of the "wild west" of posting once again, Roland has hit upon something here. In spite of the impression of others about snide, rude remarks.. Its far worse elsewhere. As for the 50 somethings making the bulk of the comments? I doubt it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Maybe PMags, Datto, Sgt. Rock or one Wolf could write an article directed at new people that covers the most frequently asked questions and advice given. Then again getting them to read it is another. Perhaps making it a prerequisite to posting would be the answer. Stepping down from soap box.

Check out the Quick and Dirty AT Guide:
    http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dir...alachian-trail

I have some getting started articles that, typical for me, are more of an overview rather than detailed reviews:
    http://www.pmags.com/topics/getting-started

I readily admit to listing these links over and over again as the same questions tend to crop up..which is why I wrote them in the first place.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

I have some getting started articles that, typical for me, are more of an overview rather than detailed reviews:

I readily admit to listing these links over and over again as the same questions tend to crop up..which is why I wrote them in the first place.
    You really should link to the HMHDI page, it answers most of the common newbie questions
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

MAGS - I'm way too lazy to read any of these again. Can you give a brief summary of the articles?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    MAGS - I'm way too lazy to read any of these again. Can you give a brief summary of the articles?
    Mags writes, Mags makes corny jokes, Mags is probably FOS in most of what he writes, Mags then gets beer.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Mags I have read both of these several times. Great information
    Blackheart

Mags writes, Mags makes corny jokes, Mags is probably FOS in most of what he writes, Mags then gets beer.
    Best written Cliff Notes I've ever read.

I like your Cliff Notes Mags- very helpful!!

Hey I just found this... this might also be a great read for people thinking about Thru- hiking.
    I didn't know where to put this.....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.Uat7dUbD-Ul

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++