WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I printed out the list. Going to memorize them to use in a rap off throw down with Eminem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot2000 View Post
    I don't have that much to say and hopefully never will.
    I was directing that at DaTwistedOne. What am I? Flypaper for freaks?

(Must include smiley here)
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    maybe we could number those and just click on the number to insert the comment we want.
    Maybe there is an APP for that, if not? HHmmmmmmmm! Gee I do hope this doesn't fall into that "zmart azz" category. If it doez juzt add it to the earlier lizt.
    mmmGgg GGG
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I joined WB in 2002 (don't ask me what the handle was, I don't remember). The tone has changed over the years. I think it was better when the focus was hiker information exchange. I've lost some respect for people I considered hiking connoisseurs because of their posts here. It's still the best place online for hiking information, it's just that the style has changed.

Hummmm......interesting thread with interesting answers. I like it all.

Quote Originally Posted by DaTwiztedOne View Post
    ive been busy with life and getting in some hiking too so i got a chance to come in today and get some reading caught up here.... and boy do i see a lot of RUDE and SMARTAZZ comments and replies!!! and its from some of the older members too why do people have to be like that? i mean we ALL started out not knowing nothing so why be an AZZ when somebody asks a question they dont know the answer too ???? if you love hiking like most of us do you would think that you would be grateful for more people wanting to learn more about hiking and keeping it alive,,,,,,

yall have a great day. and be safe out there....
    make the whole thing STRAIGHT FORWARD

You can analyze this endlessly, to death. We hear it all the time regarding so many objections to this or that. I'll repeat it here. It's not intended to be rude or smart arse at all. If you don't like what you're receiving change the channel/station/your perception/omit it/move on/notice the good in it, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Knocks me outta the box...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Oh please, we all know how to give a straight forward answer and still sound condescending...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

We need a keep it Pithy forum

I tend to become frustrated with some of the responses WhiteBlaze "veterans" give to new members when the new members ask questions. Their responses to comments that frustrate me the most can be paraphrased as follows:

1) "Use the search function and you would have found the answer to your question."

Frankly, the WhteBlaze search function is a semi-useless tool. I am well-versed in computer research--and I often use GOOGLE to search WhiteBlaze--instead of the WhiteBlaze search tool (because the WhiteBlaze search tool is so poor). If I (an experienced researcher) have such difficulties, imagine the trouble that inexperienced researchers and inexperienced computer users encounter when trying to do a WhiteBlaze search.

2) "We discuss this same topic every few days".

Well, a NEW member wouldn't know that this topic is discussed every few days--because THEY WERE NOT MEMBERS YET! (and see #1, above, regarding the ineffective WhiteBlaze search tool). Sure, the bulk of the responses to the frequently asked questions are always the same. HOWEVER, the ever-changing WhiteBlaze membership (and what WhiteBlaze members are actively online in any given week) can change the answers slightly to the routine questons. Also, what was the "best" tent last month--may have been now "surpassed" by something new that came out last week. Personally, I see value in people asking/answering the same questions on a regular basis. At the very least, it doesn't hurt.

If people don't like the constantly recurring threads--THEN DON'T READ THEM! There is no rule that you have to read every thread or every response. Also, why post a response on the thread if you are tired of such threads?
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    I tend to become frustrated with some of the responses WhiteBlaze "veterans" give to new members when the new members ask questions. Their responses to comments that frustrate me the most can be paraphrased as follows:

1) "Use the search function and you would have found the answer to your question."

Frankly, the WhteBlaze search function is a semi-useless tool. I am well-versed in computer research--and I often use GOOGLE to search WhiteBlaze--instead of the WhiteBlaze search tool (because the WhiteBlaze search tool is so poor). If I (an experienced researcher) have such difficulties, imagine the trouble that inexperienced researchers and inexperienced computer users encounter when trying to do a WhiteBlaze search.

2) "We discuss this same topic every few days".

Well, a NEW member wouldn't know that this topic is discussed every few days--because THEY WERE NOT MEMBERS YET! (and see #1, above, regarding the ineffective WhiteBlaze search tool). Sure, the bulk of the responses to the frequently asked questions are always the same. HOWEVER, the ever-changing WhiteBlaze membership (and what WhiteBlaze members are actively online in any given week) can change the answers slightly to the routine questons. Also, what was the "best" tent last month--may have been now "surpassed" by something new that came out last week. Personally, I see value in people asking/answering the same questions on a regular basis. At the very least, it doesn't hurt.

If people don't like the constantly recurring threads--THEN DON'T READ THEM! There is no rule that you have to read every thread or every response. Also, why post a response on the thread if you are tired of such threads?
    The Search Engine is probably the worst I've encountered.

1. I have to agree. One of my first posts was a question on winter tents. I had searched Google, Amazon, REI, etc., but I desired personal input from WB hikers. One reply was "Google it!" (Sorry Dogwood! LOL) After thinking this was the biggest jerk ever , I actually came to be impressed with his other answers that were quite detailed on another topic. But yea, if you don't want to answer a question -just move on. I mean if we can ask about equipment here, what is the point?

2. Even though I am sure some of the answers are always the same, in the world of equipment -especially UL, the answers constantly change. If you are tired of same questions, don't read them.

3. WB Veterans can always elect to skip boring questions, but for new members, WB is pretty much the most accurate and respected source of online info on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Welcome To Whiteblaze ....Yes it is the internet..more fun then getting circumcised.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I joking refer the WB as HH (hateful hikers). For the veteran flamers HOH (hateful old hikers)

Images

And whatever you do don't ask a question that someone else has asked.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wait ...Wait ..... Did I top that?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

always remember-

hikermom loves you whether you like it or not.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaTwiztedOne View Post
    ive been busy with life and getting in some hiking too so i got a chance to come in today and get some reading caught up here.... and boy do i see a lot of RUDE and SMARTAZZ comments and replies!!! and its from some of the older members too why do people have to be like that? i mean we ALL started out not knowing nothing so why be an AZZ when somebody asks a question they dont know the answer too ???? if you love hiking like most of us do you would think that you would be grateful for more people wanting to learn more about hiking and keeping it alive,,,,,,

yall have a great day. and be safe out there....
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Speaking for myself, I need to get out for a hike or a paddle on the river.
    Trouble adjusting to a 12:30 to 8:30 shift. Can't wait for next month. Sucks.

So please, show some compassion for uz smartazzes. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    its the internet. there are some who love to create drama. yeah there are some rude replies, but these are far out weighed by the number of thoughtful responses.
    a few jerks for sure,but theres a lot of good people here on whiteblaze.
    Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Here are some comebacks to rude posts. Feel free to add to them:

I can see your point, but I still think you're full of crap.

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

How about never? Is never good for you?

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

I don't work here. I'm a consultant.

It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.

You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.

I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Any resemblance between your reality and mine are purely coincidental.

What am I? Flypaper for freaks?!

I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.

It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.

Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

And your cry-baby whiny-arsed opinion would be?

Do I look like a people person to you?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Oh I get it. Like humor, but different.........

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Chaos, panic, and disorder. My work here is done.

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being more intelligent.

Wait a minute - I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

Aren't you a black hole of need.

I'd like to help you out, which way did you come in?

Did you eat an extra bowl of stupid this morning?

Why don't you slip into something more comfortable? Like a coma.

If you have something to say raise your hand... then place it over your mouth.

I'm too busy, can I ignore you some other time?

Don't let your mind wander, it's too small to be let out on its own.

Have a nice day, somewhere else.

You're not yourself today, I noticed the improvement straight away.

Do you hear that? That's the sound of no-one caring.

You're so nasty, I called you on the phone and got an ear infection.

People like you don't grow on trees, they swing from them.

I could say nice things about you, but I would rather tell the truth.

I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception.

I know I'm talking like an idiot. I have to, other wise you wouldn't understand me.

Most of us live and learn, you just live.

I like you. People say I've no taste, but I like you.

I like your approach, now let's see your departure.

I can't seem to remember you name, and please don't remind me!

I can't talk to you right now; tell me, where will you be in ten years, I'll make sure I'm not there.

You must have a low opinion of people if you think they're your equals.

You must have gotten up on the wrong side of the cage this morning.

You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.

You remind me of the ocean - you make me sick.

You should toss out more of your funny remarks; that's all they're good for.

You started at the bottom - and it's been downhill ever since.

You used to be arrogant and obnoxious. Now you are just the opposite. You are
    obnoxious and arrogant.

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

I’m already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Sarcasm is one more service I offer

I’m trying to imagine you with a personality

Too many freaks, not enough circuses

Thanx! hope I can remember some of those..........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfoot View Post
    I joined WB in 2002 (don't ask me what the handle was, I don't remember). The tone has changed over the years. I think it was better when the focus was hiker information exchange. I've lost some respect for people I considered hiking connoisseurs because of their posts here. It's still the best place online for hiking information, it's just that the style has changed.
    I've been here much longer than my handle shows, too. Over time all internet forums seem to reduce themselves to the lowest common denominator (why? I don't know but there's a Ph.D. dissertation in it for whoever wants to research it). WB is no different. Sad but true.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++