WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pillows

Default Pillows

Long story short, my neck is kinda finicky from when I wrecked my stock car a few years ago. I still have aspirations of a thru in 2014 but I'm gonna have to figure out how to get my neck comfortable. I will probably be using a Thermarest Prolite-Plus sleeping pad. I also have one of those $20 Cocoon air pillows. I just tried laying on the pad with that pillow and it couldn't be more uncomfortable! After only 30 seconds my neck starts to hurt and feel tight. I know I can't be the only person who is into hiking with a bad neck. So what other options could I try? I'm not a fan of air pillows based on my experience with the cocoon one because it seems like whatever is heaviest moves the air around. I know a lot of people don't take a pillow and use a stuff sack, but what is in the stuff sack? Any ideas or options would be appreciated!! Thanks folks

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPants View Post
    Long story short, my neck is kinda finicky from when I wrecked my stock car a few years ago. I still have aspirations of a thru in 2014 but I'm gonna have to figure out how to get my neck comfortable. I will probably be using a Thermarest Prolite-Plus sleeping pad. I also have one of those $20 Cocoon air pillows. I just tried laying on the pad with that pillow and it couldn't be more uncomfortable! After only 30 seconds my neck starts to hurt and feel tight. I know I can't be the only person who is into hiking with a bad neck. So what other options could I try? I'm not a fan of air pillows based on my experience with the cocoon one because it seems like whatever is heaviest moves the air around. I know a lot of people don't take a pillow and use a stuff sack, but what is in the stuff sack? Any ideas or options would be appreciated!! Thanks folks
    My extra clothes are in the "stuff sack". My sleeping bag is made by Big Agnes. They have a built in pouch for this purpose. I am a warm sleeper, so most of my clothes are in there. Other things that can go in there are partially inflated freezer bags and water shoes. I know one fella' that uses his food bag as a pillow. No poptarts in there I am guessing.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Are you a back, side or stomach sleeper?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Sorry I should have mentioned that, I usually sleep on my right side (hurts neck the least) but can back sleep if tire enough, it just makes me snore a little, so I generally don't do that since I'm such a light sleeper than even if I barely snore I wake myself up.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Long story short, my neck is kinda finicky from when I wrecked my stock car a few years ago.
    Boy Turbo, I wish I could start a post with "my stock car" in it somewhere...

I'm not sure what exactly to recommend for the kind of neck issues you are experiencing. But as for the stuff sack, what I use is a Thermarest reversible stuff sack pillow. It's not much different from any other garden-variety stuff sack in terms of mechanics. But what it adds is a thin felt covering over the "inside" that you can reverse to be outside for sleeping on. The trick is that you need to have enough clothes or soft items in it to make it good and puffy. If it's colder and I've got every stitch on, my pillow can get a bit flat.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Which Cocoon air pillow are you using? One of the rectangle ones or the neck pillow?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I've tried two of the inflatable pillows, not counting a cut up water wing. I am currently using a Cocoon. I agree with you, I would describe it as a little bouncy myself. You might like the exped, it is comfortable for side sleeping and the chambers reduce bounce. It is good for back sleeping as well. It is odd shaped though and uncomfortable for stomach sleeping. The part with the curve cutout in it is larger than the remaining two thirds. The larger chamber fits under the neck pretty good, but for stomach sleeping it doesn't work out.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I sure miss the racing, but my wallet doesn't! It's the left side of my neck that took the whiplash so that's why I have to sleep on he right side.

The Cocoon pillow I have is this one, called the travel aircore:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-Ultrali...=cocoon+pillow

Maybe I need to go to a dedicated pillow sack and carry enough "stuff" that it works. But after 4 days the clothing bag is not the best smelling thing in your pack so I can't imagine that's what I want to smell all night long.

Images

I sure miss the racing, but my wallet doesn't! It's the left side of my neck that took the whiplash so that's why I have to sleep on he right side.

The Cocoon pillow I have is this one, called the travel aircore:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-Ultrali...=cocoon+pillow

Maybe I need to go to a dedicated pillow sack and carry enough "stuff" that it works. But after 4 days the clothing bag is not the best smelling thing in your pack so I can't imagine that's what I want to smell all night long.
    There are a few lessons regarding smell that I've learned.

Unlike some ultralighters I do carry an extra set of clean shorts/tshirt, an extra pair of socks and an extra pair of undies in addition to other climate-specific gear I might bring. The trick is to wear the stinkies for as long as possible until you can do a wash and then swap out with your cleans. Additionally, if you do laundry daily (socks at a minimum, maybe shorts/shirts) it can help cut down on the smell as well. One definite thing I do NOT put in my stuff are the dirty socks. Until they're washed in a machine, they stay on my pack or line drying and then get put on while I wash the pair I'm wearing. This will do the most to stink up the pillow. Further, if I must change out skivvies, I keep a quart ziploc bag to put those in before I put them in my stuff. Tricks of the trade. Overall, I've not had very many unpleasant smelling nights in many nights on the trail.

Images

I'm a side sleeper with neck pain, too. I tried sleeping on extra clothes (aren't you wearing most of your clothes at night?), other stuff sacks, even my shoes. Didn't work. Now I use a small synthetic pillow I bought in the home section at Walmart. It was $6 and weighs 5 oz. Compacts down to a tiny ball for carrying in my pack, fluffs up into a nice little pillow at night.

I don't have neck issues, but FWIW, I used this pillow:

http://www.amazon.com/Exped-32205231...rds=air+pillow

I found it very comfortable. I'd use it overinflated some nights to keep my head up mostly for back sleeping or under inflate it for that soft squishy feel when sleeping on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nak View Post
    I don't have neck issues, but FWIW, I used this pillow:

http://www.amazon.com/Exped-32205231...rds=air+pillow

I found it very comfortable. I'd use it overinflated some nights to keep my head up mostly for back sleeping or under inflate it for that soft squishy feel when sleeping on my side.
    Hey, that pillow looks NICE! Can you please go weigh it for us?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    Hey, that pillow looks NICE! Can you please go weigh it for us?
    That does look nice. Shipping weight does say 1 pound. Ouch. Still, for the right neck....

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    That does look nice. Shipping weight does say 1 pound. Ouch. Still, for the right neck....
    Just saw the 1# wt. Noooooo, Go here:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91229

"more better" description...3 oz. for the medium which is what I used

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Shipping weight includes their box, packaging materials, etc., everything that adds up to the shipping cost. Product weight is different.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by eddiechuck View Post
    Just saw the 1# wt. Noooooo, Go here:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91229

"more better" description...3 oz. for the medium which is what I used
    And comes with its own bag! Thanks Eddie!

In a case like yours when you have an old injury, take a pillow. We all know its a luxury item but in your case it's more of a medical issue.

There's also an ultralight version of the exped, looks like $10 more. The Large is a little tight to fit into some sleeping bag hoods, but it is about 3/4 in taller.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    There's also an ultralight version of the exped, looks like $10 more. The Large is a little tight to fit into some sleeping bag hoods, but it is about 3/4 in taller.
    For 1.5 oz? Heck yes, I'll bring a pillow! Thanks for info.

Guess I should make a trip to the local Wally world. I have to unbox one of their scales and weigh the small travel pillows. Hope I don't get in trouble lol. I never thought about it, but I could even make my own pillow with down. That would compress down fairly well too if I had to shove it in a pouch. Thanks for the ideas kids, back to the research bin!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++