WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer to NC, june 4- 14, 2013

Im hiking from Springer to the NC boarder or a bit further, time allowing i will get to NOC. Im planning for only one resupply and that wont be a problem. Im taking my dog with me and he can easily carry 5 days of his food in his pack ( if not the whole 10 days, if he is not carrying any water). Im on here mostly to find out what the trail conditions will be like that week, aka water sources, trail traffic, bear alerts( other than the bear container area). I've hiked a lot of the AT in Va and NC for 20 yrs, but this is the official start of my section hike!! Im open to all advice as well, Im carrying 20lbs base weight, which is less than !0% of my body weight, so I'm sitting good on gear.

Journal Entries

If your base is 20,(without food, water, consumeables) get it down a bit. You can easily shed a couple lbs without difficulty Im sure.
    Water shouldnt be a problem then, but you never know. If it doesnt rain in next month it might. There will be a few other section hikers around as well.
    Have fun.

Images

June on the AT in GA, eh? Water should be fine, but check with the GATC (Georgia AT Club). Bears? Not a problem if you hang your food/scented stuff properly. Trail traffic will be hit-or-miss and varies on weekday/weekend of course.

Your biggest problems IMHO are likely to be bugs and poison ivy. Make sure the dog is treated, so it isn't as likely to bring ticks to you. Can't do much about it bringing you poison ivy, as you'll not know at the time. Treat your clothes and gear with Permethrin. Take along a head net?

The GATC is the place to go for current, authoritative info on trail conditions and issues down there. Good folks.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thanks Rain Man,
    I'm planning on hanging my food bag every night. As well my dog is a Plott hound( kinda famous for bear and boar hunting) so he will make a bears visit very annoying and most likely frightening, for the bear. The mountain bears have been hunted in this region for over a hundred years with his breed, they know his bay. So bears aren't too much of a concern.
    My main debate at this time is that I'm tarping it, but I have a bug net insert just trying to decide if I need to carry it? It seems like they wont be a problem at night, when it would be useful. Im carrying deet and will use permethrin on some gear right before i leave. The Dog will be on a fresh treatment of frontline right before we leave. I'm just deciding between a syn puff jacket or the bug bivy? Don't think I will need both. The eternal decision....weight vs risk?

Section Hiker

Hey, Fruitt! We will be behind you but I'm doing the same section (not quite to the NOC) June 8-?? with some WB friends. Also a guy Chris and his son are hiking the same section in June, going to NOC, but forget what day they are heading out. I hope you and your pooch have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

I'll be doing a short overnight from GA348 to GA75 with a bro-in-law sometime between 10-14 June, may see you all.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

I am soo glad I am not allergic to poison ivy!!!!

Bear canisters are required on Blood last I heard. Otherwise a decent time of year to be on that section.

I will be seeing some of you as well!

Leaving the 10th of June.

Last time I checked the Georgia AT site. The Blood Mountain canister requirement expires in May. Please don't take my word for it. I just emailed them awaiting an answer about water sources as well.

Best,
    Floyd

The last day this year you are required to have a bear vault is June 1.

I'm curious. For my own daydream planning purposes. Where will you resupply?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Couple obvious options, depends on the person.

First, start off with 3 days to get to Neels Gap, then:

Minimize expense: Resupply at Neels Gap (or have a box sent there) for the rest of the trip, or

Minimize weight: Resupply at Neels Gap with enough food to get to Hiawassee, take a zero and resupply for the rest of the trip.

Section Hiker

If you don't want to go into Hiawassee you may be able to ask someone at Budget Inn if they know anyone who could run a drop out to Dicks Creek Gap for you. Yes, it will cost you, but not as much as a zero in town in terms of money or time. http://ronhavenhikerservices.com/

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Yea, Im carrying 6 days worth of food at the outset. Then I'm grabbing the last bit of food at Neels Gap so I have no days "off trail". The worst part is that I will have to carry the dog food that my dog can't. I'm not sure if I can get dog food at Neels Gap? If anyone knows about this that would help out.

Thanks. I am leaning towards a shuttle to-from the supermarket in Hiawassee. Hopefully I can do that and still get a few miles in that day.
    Have fun!

Wayne

++ New Posts ++