WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Winter thru-hike, revised

Okay, as time gets closer, and my current plans are not going as scheduled, here are my thoughts on a winter hike.

This has been rearranged a little, to work with my buddies schedule, if he does not get deployed. Also, this plan will help with weather and the closing/opening of Big K.

Start at Harpers Ferry in Sept., hike South to GA, meet up with my buddy and then turn around and head North. My buddy and I would head all the to big K and then he would head home from that point. I would turn around and head South to Harpers Ferry. Completing 2 thru-hikes.

Let me know if this sounds linked something you would be interested in, in full or if you are only interested in doing a section.

All are welcome. Dogs also, but you know the restrictions in certain areas for dogs.

Won't Katahdin be closed? When does it open back up?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Even if Katahdin was accessible, in most years you will encounter snowdrifts in New England in Jan-Apr that are so deep that the blazes are covered (so you'd be trying to walk through tree branches even if you were in snowshoes). The mud that forms after the snow melts can be impenetrable, to the point that early hikers can damage the trail.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Yes, I realize this. Will figure these things out as it happens. I have no time limits at all, weather this takes a year or two years...doesn't matter, so camping out, waiting, is no problem..........trust me, not a newbie, I know all this. If you are interested in going.....let me know.

Not my first thru. Not my first rodeo in subfreezing conditions. Not my first rodeo using a real compass.....not those fake gps units (I do have a sweet gps but, prefer the real compass.) I'm not asking if this is a good or bad idea, I am offering it up if anyone wants to join in, for the whole adventure or part of it.

If by chance, something goes wrong, and I can't complete for unseen issues/problems, no big deal, this is a start to an adventure....you do not gain anything without trying. Even if it ends in failure....I tried, I am doing what I enjoy. Rather fail at trying than sit safely, never attempting.

Thanks.
    Last edited by wrongway_08; 05-25-2013 at 11:57.

I didn't know if you had a time limit on it or not. Sounds freaking sweet though, if I could, I would.

Images

Thanks, I love winter camping and am looking forward to the challenge also. If things change or you're able to Klingon for a few days, let me know!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Please post a link to your journal if you have one. I would love to follow a long with your progress.

Will you be semi-connected to the rest of the world so that I could keep track and try to join you for 2 weeks on the nobo walk in VA? If it would be winter by then, or maybe wait till you get farther north? What is your miles per day average in good conditions? I am happy with a shelter to shelter walk, up to every other shelter when motivated and in good conditions.
    Edwin

Images

Yes, I will be keeping a journal. Maybe trail journals or this site called travelpod, one I'm using now for my road trip.

In good weather I average 17-23 miles a day on thru, depending on conditions. Longest day was 42 miles (section hike, prior year to my thru). Overnight miles in rough, not well marked trail section was 34 - on my thru......sucked, I was aiming for 60 miles....lol, fell way short!

Sounds like a fun challenge.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    In good weather I average 17-23 miles a day on thru, depending on conditions.
    I think I let you hike on thru then, wrongway. I could not enjoy a 17 mile per day average unless I actually "trained" for it back home, then I'd not enjoy the 3 weeks before I left either.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I wish you the absolute best of luck. I might jump on in Erwin for a few days and tag along if you don't mind and it fits my schedule.

One caveat you might include is that whoever goes should be well financed. This is not a trip to be dirt bagging...

Images

Ed, I don't have to hike that fast. I'm good doing low miles also. Feel free to join me.

Images

10-K, that would be great! Erwin will be one of my stops, love that little town

I'm lost. What year/decade are you talking about? I really want to spend as much time as possible on the AT in the Hot Springs-Erwin-Elk Park neighborhood beginning in January, 2015. I'm interested in off-season, uncrowded periods on the AT. Sounds like Y'all will be finished before I retire. Heck, I may be finished before I retire.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Oh thanks for offering to slow down a bit. Since I'm streaky about checking in at WB, please give me an e-mail notice, wrongway, when you do turn around, and then when you get to Erwin and expect to get to Damascus. I might try to drive to Marion to meet up and then return by bus or one of my cousins from Roanoke or Charlottesville, wherever I happen to be after two weeks.

Images

Will let you know Ed. No problems here, this is just a walk in the woods to cure my almost mid-life crisis....at 37 years.....a little early but oh well, nothing is perfect!

Wayne, Sept of this year.

Wrongway,

If I'm understanding your schedule, the only time you would be getting hit with winter weather is in the south. The southern AT can have some snow but nothing compare to the northern parts. By the time you hit New England the snow will be melting, with most of the snow gone. It means slower hiking but nothing really extreme.

In the end what are you after?

Wolf

Images

Wolf, I should be up North around....June time frame.

I am going through my mid life crisis a little early....couldn't stand my job any longer, so I left it. I have been driving around the U.S. for a while and love the A.T., so what better way to clear my head .... Then to do another thru hike, or two, and to do it during the cold months, to get more solitude to myself.

Just looking to get away. Get a fresh start and I think by the time I am done, settle down with a good woman.

Images

Anybody know if they are printing the 2014 A.T. Guide book yet? I tried ordering a new set of 2013 A.T. guide/map set for the start of this double thru in Sept, but they are out of stock of the combo.

Figure I'll wait to order til the 2014 comes out - if they will have it printed by the time I leave.

++ New Posts ++