WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dealing with dry skin during a thru-hike

So this is my first post on WB! I've been lurking for a couple months, so this is kind of exciting for me. I'm in the pre-planning stages for a 2014 thru-hike.

My question: How does one with dry skin deal with being constantly exposed to the elements during a thru-hike? My skin gets so dry in colder weather, that even when I'm not spending a lot of time outside I find myself applying lotion 2-3 times a day. My skin also gets really itchy when it's dry. This is seriously one of my biggest concerns since I'm planning to start in early March and don't want to be any more miserable than necessary during those first months. Should I just suck it up and carry a few ounces of lotion, and resupply as needed? Are there any materials, as far as clothing, that help protect skin from drying out (probably a shot in the dark, but thought I'd ask)?

I can't possibly be the only one who's considered thru-hiking with dry skin .

Thanks!

Images

I carry a small tube of lotion and replace it during town stops. I have eczema on my fingers.

Welcome to WB first time poster. I don't neglect trail hygiene to the extent that I've seem some thru-hikers. For example, I sport a goatee but choose to shave regularly. I'm not a prima donna but I'll take the "embrace the brutality" notion only so far. But, to each their own.

For feet, elbows, and knees I'm currently going with Burt's Bees Res Q Ointment in the .6 oz cans. I like the Burt's Bess Res Q Ointment MUCH BETTER than those little tubes of dry skin lotion like Gold Bond, Dermasil, Eucerin, Lubriderm, etc. Smells better without smelling girly and seems to penetrate into my skin better too. This helps mask hiker funk. It has other benefits also. My MAIN goal is to address dry skin though. I'm not a female(or male) on an anti-aging quest. Here's some info about BB's Res Q Ointment:
    Important Information

Ingredients
    Prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, beeswax, symphytum officinale (comfrey) root extract, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lavandula hybrida (lavandin) oil, tocopheryl acetate, symphytum officinale (comfrey) leaf powder, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil, chlorophyll

Directions
    After cleaning your minor injuries, apply a thin layer of salve to them twice a day until they feel better.

Product Description

Res-Q Ointment soothes and comforts life's bumps and bruises with a powerful, yet gentle, blend of natural herbal ingredients. The formula contains Comfrey and Allantoin, which are known for their healing and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as Lavandin, which helps prevent scarring.

For all around body but particularly face when in town I head over to Wally World or a Dollar Store to buy a one time use pear shaped exfoliating pad that resembles a HVAC filter almost like a mini loofah. Really helps to get that dead flaky skin off and it's amazing the grime you can scrub off your hiker bod AFTER having taken a lengthy shower with one of these.

The dry skin on my feet are my main concern though. I'll also file rasp away dead skin on my feet about once every 4-6 wks. Then I'll apply the dry skin ointmnent. I as well as the GF like it that way.

I'm usually doing a dy lips stick balm thing during the summer and winter too. During desert hikes I prefer my skin moisturizer to be included in my sunscreen. Sometimes I'll carry a 0.28 oz can of Tiger Balm Ointment for sore muscles particularly if I'm hitting a long hike not in initial optimal hiking condition. This helps with the dry skin on knees and elbows too.

Whew, was never asked about dry skin and didn't realize all that I've done to address it.

I find dry skin is more a product of being indoors in winter, with a very low humidity compared to outside. Also, not washing the oils off your skin constantly should help. Beyond that, choose your unscented lotion.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Use olive oil. It's the best lotion you'll ever use and it's multipurpose. Try it at home first and see how you like it.

Actually I wonder just how well that might work out lathering yourself up with EVOO while thru-hiking. Hmm? The Burt's Bees Res Q Ointment has herbs and Olive Oil in it. Maybe that's multipurpose too. I can add some to my trail meals and to oil those squeaky Vasque shoes and trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Actually I wonder just how well that might work out lathering yourself up with EVOO while thru-hiking. Hmm? The Burt's Bees Res Q Ointment has herbs and Olive Oil in it. Maybe that's multipurpose too. I can add some to my trail meals and to oil those squeaky Vasque shoes and trekking poles.
    I see you on here alot, maybe you should give it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I find dry skin is more a product of being indoors in winter, with a very low humidity compared to outside. Also, not washing the oils off your skin constantly should help. Beyond that, choose your unscented lotion.
    Best answer so far.

Please, please use unscented if you feel the need.

A good time to use lotion is after you have cleaned up before bed, give yourself a massage, while you check for bugs or sore spots.

Other than extreme cold and wind you won't have dry skin often, more likely to have mildewed skin.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I have TNHKR. FOR ME EVOO doesn't penetrate into the skin readily so I quickly become a slick sticky dirty mess even more so than regular when hiking. Every bit of dirt, leaves, twigs, etc stick to me that I begin to resemble a porcupine. I'm a paid consultant to hang around WB and annoy people.

Que Sera - welcome. I find aloe useful for dry skin - it's non-oily, and multipurpose for sunburn, wound healing, etc. I tried some oil based lotions on the AT and with the high humidity found aloe to be the best all around remedy. Staying well hydrated helps a lot as well. Good luck with your hike!

Staying well hydrated helps a lot as well.

I think so too but I'm not Dr Oz or Dr Perricone.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    This is what I find as well. Assuming that you are talking about normal dry skin and not a specific medical condition, you will likely be pleasantly surprised how this is actually less of an issue when hiking than when you're in your normal life showering every day and living a climate controlled house. At home I have to use Aveno lotion on my hands every day to stop them from cracking. I carried a ~1oz trial size bottle of it with me for the first couple of years that I backpacked, but stopped bringing it because I realized that I had never needed it on the trail.

That said, if you do want to bring something I would recommend the unscented Aveno lotion. A small trial size bottle or two should last you from one town the next.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Of course I post a question and then promptly go out of town for the weekend. Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Thanks for the responses! They were very helpful. I used to work outside a lot in the winter (I'm an archeologist) and would notice my skin was worse on the days I was outside in the cold all day. I'd be so itchy and dry every night. But maybe it was partially due to the change from being outside to coming inside to a heated house that immediately sucked any moisture from my body.

I have no dreams of being a UL hiker and I know that a small travel size bottle of some type of moisturizer does not add much extra weight, and I can replace it as needed...so I like that idea.

Thanks again and I look forward to participating more in these forums. I intend to ask plenty of questions over the coming months.

Journal Entries

the cold you experience in the south, is not the dry cold you are probably used too. It will be often damp and humid.

My hands took a beating early on my hike, when it was windy and cold. Once the temps warmed it, no more issues.

++ New Posts ++