WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cancer sucks

Images

Default Cancer sucks

I've learned my old hiking partner has stage IV cancer in the stomach and liver. I'm obviously saddened by the news. I would appreciate those of you having faith to pray for him, and I know he would too.

He resides in St Louis and I in Atlanta. Can anyone suggest a moderate, but nice hike somewhere in the middle? We'd like to get together and hike again one weekend in July.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Journal Entries

Sorry to hear about your friend. I will offer prayers up for him.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I've learned my old hiking partner has stage IV cancer in the stomach and liver. I'm obviously saddened by the news. I would appreciate those of you having faith to pray for him, and I know he would too.

He resides in St Louis and I in Atlanta. Can anyone suggest a moderate, but nice hike somewhere in the middle? We'd like to get together and hike again one weekend in July.
    a loop in grayson highlands

I'm sorry for your friend. In the past month, I've heard via Facebook of 2 other hikers with serious cancer as well. It's all very sobering.

Kentucky's Red River Gorge might be a good place for you to meet and hike. There are some ups and downs but nowhere near on the scale of the AT because the terrain isn't mountainous. However, it's not flat either and features several beautiful natural bridges & arches and interesting clifflines. For your friend, it's a straight shot across I-64. There's a campground in the Daniel Boone National Forest and one in Natural Bridge State Park which adjoins the Gorge and features the impressive natural bridge. You could base-camp and do a few day hikes.

Default Cancer sucks

Sending prayers.

Try a vegan diet. May save his life.

Images

He's got my thoughts and healthy vibes. Hike strong.

Images

Medical stuff sucks!

We almost lost our son a few times, age 18 now, stage 4B, survivor...............I tell him that he pulls me up a lot of mountains.

Images

Praying for him, his family and you.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Don't know about stages. Just know that quite a few very professional, dedicated, caring folks have found and removed 1 malignant melanoma & sentinal lymph node as well as 3 basel cell carcenomas from various places on my old frame. I am extremely fortunate. Early detection and expediant surgery are the answer. hint to all you Thu Wannabes: SPF 50. Clothing. Copious quanties of sunscreen.
    All the best to you and your hiking partner.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Sending prayers and good vibes.

Images

Default Mammoth or Red River Gorge (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post

Hey G, Mammoth Cave and Red River Gorge are both about half way between us. I have never backpacked Mammoth and it's been 25 years since I was last at Red River Gorge. Hopefully someone on here can provide us some good options.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Hey G, Mammoth Cave and Red River Gorge are both about half way between us. I have never backpacked Mammoth and it's been 25 years since I was last at Red River Gorge. Hopefully someone on here can provide us some good options.
    Are you in contact with M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX? I am trusting the folks in the melanoma center with my life. A good friend from H.S. and college is alive today because of the folks at M.D. Anderson. Likewise, one of my daughter's best friends.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Are you in contact with M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX? I am trusting the folks in the melanoma center with my life. A good friend from H.S. and college is alive today because of the folks at M.D. Anderson. Likewise, one of my daughter's best friends.

Wayne
    I don't have the funds for M.D. Anderson or I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm working with my SSM Oncologist and the Siteman Cancer Center here in St Louis. I'm responding well so far to my aggressive chemo treatments. I'll know more when we do another PET scan after my next chemo cycle a week from Wednesday. This isn't my first rodeo and I'm confident I will beat cancer... again!

All the best! Keeping you in our prayers.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Brian, I don't know if you saw my post #4 above but if you guys decide on Red River Gorge, you can stop on my house in Lexington (it's on the way from St. Louis) and I can loan you my map set and a hiking guide.

Journal Entries

Sorry to hear that.
    I had a lifelong friend , since childhood, die of similar cancer 2 yrs ago.
    It was fairly rapid progression. About 2 months from when he found out.

Make sure you see him while you still can.

My friends brother-in-law was a very well known person, a multi-billionaire. He would have paid for any possible medical treatment for my friend, anywhere in the world, but there was nothing that could be done, at any price.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    I had a lifelong friend , since childhood, die of similar cancer 2 yrs ago.
    It was fairly rapid progression. About 2 months from when he found out.

Make sure you see him while you still can.

My friends brother-in-law was a very well known person, a multi-billionaire. He would have paid for any possible medical treatment for my friend, anywhere in the world, but there was nothing that could be done, at any price.
    But not to be a downer.... jeez man.

Cancer does suck. I had it. Got into Dana Farber in Boston and had a "Dream Team" of doctors. I was amazed at what they were able to do for me. Three years later and I'm clean. Egads, good luck to your friend. I'll be thinking of him.

Just lost a hiking and running buddy myself. Would have been 40 years ago next year we went off to my first sailing regatta. Band on the Run playing on the radio all the way up and back. Will miss him. Thoughts and prayers for you and your buddy. Hope you have a great hike, and many more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++