WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 13 inches of snow on Mt Mansfield

Just saw this story on the weather channel.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...ekend-20130527

Not hitting the LT until early July but I'm guessing that section could be a muddy mess for awhile.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Disgusting. I can see the mountain from my house and I will be making personal notes to myself of the progress in the snow melt every day. It sucks, glad I'm hitting the southern part of the LT next month and not this section.

I saw that, also night hiked Camels Hump a few weeks ago, and the ice was insane.

Looks like I'll be Northbound in a little over 3 weeks. Looks like the trail will not be drying out early for me.

Yeah, uncommon but it can and obviously does happen, parts of The Dacks got up to 3 ft of snow above 4000ft like White Face Mt which I think is near Lake Placid.

Why's it disgusting? Will burn off fast! Will make trails muddy but it's not like trails, especially the LT, are typically NOT MUDDY this time of yr. Hey, lots of thickly forested somewhat boggy/peaty miles on the LT. The LT can certainly become a quagmire here and there even during summer after a couple days heavy rain. IMHO, it's one of the primary reasons why I hit the LT in the Fall and why it's recommended staying off the LT in Spring. Hiking it in spring leads to trail erosion.

fredmugs.. I've done the Long Trail. The southern portion in particular has a well deserved reputation of being muddy. The late snowfall is likely to prolong this unless we get extended period of nice weather. The longer into the season you can delay your LT hike the better off you will be. If you go early July, bring bug repellent and a shelter with bug netting. be prepared there may well still be mud.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    Looks like I'll be Northbound in a little over 3 weeks. Looks like the trail will not be drying out early for me.
    Might run into you, I'm heading out for a week on the 18th. The snow has been noticeably melting all day, hopefully it will dry up soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    fredmugs.. I've done the Long Trail. The southern portion in particular has a well deserved reputation of being muddy. The late snowfall is likely to prolong this unless we get extended period of nice weather. The longer into the season you can delay your LT hike the better off you will be. If you go early July, bring bug repellent and a shelter with bug netting. be prepared there may well still be mud.
    Thanks! I've already done the AT portion and won't be doing that part again.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Thanks! I've already done the AT portion and won't be doing that part again.
    After you do the northern part, you'll probably say the same.

There was snow at my house in Waterville the other day and a good 6 inches on rt 242 in Montgomery/Westfield. We've also had a record wet May. No doubt trails up here will be muddier than usual for June at least.

Images

The snow is already completely gone. But obviously, the trails are muddy as all hell. I can't even go trail running at lower elevation without going up to my ankles. Hitting the LT from Wind Gap south to App Gap this weekend, not looking forward to the mud one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    After you do the northern part, you'll probably say the same.
    For sure. I'm just in it for the beer this time. Hill Farmstead or bust.

Nar Nar - where are you starting from on the 18th? I'll likely be starting at Mass on the 21st or 22nd.

I agree on Hill Farmstead - I'm hoping things work out so that I get to the brewery (also would love to make a stop at Prohibition Pig).

I hiked over Killington and Pico Tuesday. Lots of snow, for late May. But lots of mud. 0.5-1" about ~3800' at the time, but anyplace that got extended sun was already melted. All the south slopes were clear, as were any ski runs.

I took Shreburne Pass/old LT down from Pico and it was about 2.4 miles of mud and 0.1 miles of fallen trees from Sandy lol.

++ New Posts ++