WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My hyd. Bladder is for booze.

HUI - Hiking Under the Influence or WUI - Wandering Under the Influence.

SBI- Sharing Before the Influence & SUI- Sleeping Under the Influence.

Stone Age Solution:
    1 L soft Platypus bottle in the top lid of my pack. Drinking tube attached to bottle, exiting through zipper opening & clipped to pack shoulder strap. An OR 1 liter bottle holder attached to the pack to carry spare water bottle, food, whatever I want handy. If needed, a pair of 20 oz. Water bottles in the packs wand pockets. That should date the pack. And me.

Wayne

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments,

I went to Wally world and they had some large water bottle cozies with a carabiner at the end. I have two elastic straps running across my shoulder staps that I can attach this to. For the bottom support I just used some bungie chord tied in a loop. I'm concerned that the elastic on the starps will sometime break so I'm going to stick with 20oz bottles.

I will still bring my bladder as a backup. Even thought it is a 3L I will fill it with 1L. The weight of the bladder and space is minimal.

BTW I contacted Osprey and mentioned my problem with the side pockets. It seems that most people I have talked to have this problem. Long story short. There is an attachment http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/aq...ons_attachment that they have. My question is again, if enough people have this problem why don't they fix it as opposed to buying a $19 attachment?
    Best,
    Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood:1477480
    My hyd. Bladder is for booze.

HUI - Hiking Under the Influence or WUI - Wandering Under the Influence.
    Solves the frozen tube problem

I use a thin cord that goes through a webbing loop on the lower segment of the pack strap just above the adjustment buckle. This cord goes around the waist (thinnest part) of a 20 oz gatorade or vitamin water bottle and is secured by two cord locks. I found that one cord lock would slip too easily. I found that larger bottles did not work well. I've been using this with all my packs for about 15 years and it works fine for me.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

these are all great ideas, and I'll offer another one.

I like the Mountain Laurel Designs bottle pocket... weighs only 0.7 oz, will attach to any backpack shoulder strap, I use it with my Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 pack, and usually carry a 20 oz. gatorade bottle in this pouch. It will hold just about any 16-20 oz. size plastic bottle.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=71

I've been using this shoulder strap pocket holding the 20 oz gatorade bottle, along with a 1L powerade bottle in a pack side pocket for carrying water, and bring an extra Platypus or Evernew 2L empty softbottle to get water for camp. I stopped using the hydration bladder/hose system a while back. But I've found recently I'm getting dehydrated too often on hikes, it's mainly cuz I don't drink enough, and dont' want to stop enough during the day to get more water, and the Aqua Mira 15 minute waiting time for treatment.

I'm actually going to switch back to using the Platypus Hoser or Big Zip hydration pack/hose system on my next warm weather hike, with the Sawyer Squeeze filter. Aqua mira is great, but I decided to switch to the Sawyer Squeeze, it's faster and u dont' have the waiting time. It's a personal preference thing, do what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    these are all great ideas, and I'll offer another one.

I like the Mountain Laurel Designs bottle pocket... weighs only 0.7 oz, will attach to any backpack shoulder strap, I use it with my Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 pack, and usually carry a 20 oz. gatorade bottle in this pouch. It will hold just about any 16-20 oz. size plastic bottle.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=71

I've been using this shoulder strap pocket holding the 20 oz gatorade bottle, along with a 1L powerade bottle in a pack side pocket for carrying water, and bring an extra Platypus or Evernew 2L empty softbottle to get water for camp. I stopped using the hydration bladder/hose system a while back. But I've found recently I'm getting dehydrated too often on hikes, it's mainly cuz I don't drink enough, and dont' want to stop enough during the day to get more water, and the Aqua Mira 15 minute waiting time for treatment.

I'm actually going to switch back to using the Platypus Hoser or Big Zip hydration pack/hose system on my next warm weather hike, with the Sawyer Squeeze filter. Aqua mira is great, but I decided to switch to the Sawyer Squeeze, it's faster and u dont' have the waiting time. It's a personal preference thing, do what works best for you.
    That looks like a great bombproof option. A little pricey though. I'll stick with my bungie-cord setup with was rigged up using left-over scrap material.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've discovered that the elastic of the smallest size of the Quirky Carabandit goes very tightly around the groove of a 20 oz Vitamin Water bottle. I don't use that bottle for water - I stick my water bottles in mesh pockets in my pack - but in winter it lets me carry the relief bottle outside the pack where it won't stink anything up.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Outdoor Products (Walmart) has a bottle holder with a little zip pouch attached designed to be hand held for joggers, aerobics, etc. I sewed one of these onto the shoulder strap of Snacktime's daypack. It holds a 20 oz bottle quite well.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

I use a Platypus Holster, only holds 750ml.006.JPG Connected with small carabiners to my pack strap. Also hipbelt holders work great too...
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Here is how I did it. I got some thin bungee cord from the fabric store, cut short lengths, looped them around the shoulder strap (between the strap and pad), tied them with a square knot, and taped the ends to keep them from unraveling. Apparently I hadn't put on my bottles yet when I posed for this picture. The upper loop is under the sternum strap which is wrong (it should be above), and the lower strap is tucked under the shoulder pad. A 20 oz Gatorade bottle has a deep groove that the upper bungee goes around. The lower cord secures the bottom of the bottle to keep it from swinging. On my first day out, the bottles occasionally slipped out when I jumped down a large rock. That evening, I retied the knot a little tighter and they never slipped again.

I found that attaching water to my hip belt either gets in the way of my arms or leg swings, and there was much sloshing. Mounted up high on the chest, they didn't interfere with any motion, and there was little swinging of bottles or sloshing of water. I could pull a bottle out easily with one hand. Putting them back would take two hands (one to pull out the bungee and the other to insert the bottle). Some people ask about extra weight on shoulders. I think the pack rides better this way. Having 40 oz of water here centers the load, moving the center of gravity forward. When I had to carry extra water on a dry day, I put a couple of liters is soft bottles in the side pouches of the pack. Later I decided it was better to carry these on the top of the pack, right behind my neck. I think it also helps to center the load, and I worried less about having a branch puncture my water bladders when they were not in the side pouches.

IMG_4341-001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Outdoor Products (Walmart) has a bottle holder with a little zip pouch attached designed to be hand held for joggers, aerobics, etc. I sewed one of these onto the shoulder strap of Snacktime's daypack. It holds a 20 oz bottle quite well.
    Outdoor products is sold at walmart,but isnt a walmart brand.Its sold at REI,Dicks,Academy,etc also.They have a lifetime warranty on all their stuff,I for one ,when buying new,reach for their stuff.

I have used the bungee chords as well with a square knot. I have also bought in the camping section in Wally world a cozie with a small carabiner that came with it. Attached it to the straps, and had the bungee chord secured on the bottom so it would not sway around. Have used it for a while. I have a blue, and red one. So I get points for style. Sometimes people remark about it and I say I had to "pimp my pack" Small weight penalty but I know those bottles are not going anywhere. Use 24-27 oz plastic water bottles. I use these bottles for Gatorade

In spite of this I still use a bladder and fill it with a liter as a back up, which has been useful many times.

I hate stopping to get water and wasting time. It works for me.

BTW: Cleaner, thanks for all that you do at Jerry Cabin. Was there in June.

I use 20 oz gatorade or similar bottles that have a nice groove about 2/3 up the bottle. Liter/quart bottles are too heavy. I use a non-elastic cord with TWO cord locks. Most pack straps have a place that you can put the cord through, but if not, I make holes in the pack straps with a soldering iron. The second cord lock helps keep the first one from slipping. I have done this on all my packs for more than 15 years.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    ...In spite of this I still use a bladder and fill it with a liter as a back up, which has been useful many times....
    I had two Evernew bladders (0.9 L each) plus the 16 oz bag from the Sawyer filter giving me a total of 3.5 L capacity. The 40 oz on the straps are just for drinking when walking. The others were for refilling. I know people say that's too much water, but I only filled those when I thought it was going to be necessary. On my last hike I needed it twice. Once when I had to dry camp on a ridge (couldn't make it to the next shelter before dark), and one very tough 8 mile ridge with no water. It took 7 hrs and I needed every drop of the 3.5 L (summer in VA).

Duct tape a carabiner to the water bottle and your problem is solved. Sometimes I think we tend to overthink these things. People have been carrying water on hikes for ever.

Images

i made a DIY that looks like this
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I tired the Gatorade on the bungiee cord and I hated it. I found out about Aqua Clips and it has made it stable and light. http://sticksblog.com/2013/11/23/aqu...bottle-holder/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++