WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dont.
    ULA packs come with small yellow elastic loops to do it that some use, I take them off.
    Look at the pics of ULA packs on their website.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LXLWnm23U

Here's a utube of them on a circuit. My Catalyst has the same and I can carry 1 liter smart bottles on each one. Doesn't wiggle or slosh around much that I can tell. I switched the tops to squirt lids and can just grab and squeeze the first 1/2 bottle out to drink or so without taking the bottle out of the holders.

The bungee loop on my shoulder strap of the osprey atmos used for a pole holder can/and has been repurposed to hang a Gatorade bottle...works pretty good till the bottle gets near empty, then it kinda dangles and wobbles a bit.

Images

I also have a ULA Catalyst with the small yellow loops on each shoulder strap. I carried a vitamin water bottle for years and it fit nicely in these loops and stayed in place fairly well. I have recently switched to a platypus and I prefer it over the bottles. The advantage for me is it allows me to drink while hiking without stopping and I tend to drink more water so dehydration is less of a potential problem.

Images

I make a loop with paracord that I attach to my straps. I get one of those spring loaded cord adjusters (you can buy a pack of them at Wally World very cheaply) and stick the neck of my Gatorade bottle through the loop and tighten the adjuster. Simple, uncomplicated, works great.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

I think one of the neatest products adapted for backpacking is the ziptie or cable tie with attachment point. See the picture below
    ziptie.jpg
    For water bottles, I zip one around the neck and then I can use a cheap small biner to clip to a "D" ring or gear loop. They weigh nothing and are very strong. You can get them in several different sizes and they are cheap. Good for many uses.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

I stopped using zip ties for anything important after seeing too many of them break. If they're pulled tight, even ones that haven't been ought in the sun for long periods will break if bumped the wrong way. In this case that's especially significant, because they're attached to a water bottle that you may drop from time to time. I broke two in a week and switched to a simple knot.

http://www.aquaclip.com/ is what I use and I love it. I hang 2 smart water bottles up front and it makes a nice counter weight

Quote Originally Posted by brewyet View Post
    http://www.aquaclip.com/ is what I use and I love it. I hang 2 smart water bottles up front and it makes a nice counter weight
    Nice little product....I like simple solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Singto View Post
    Nice little product....I like simple solutions.
    You can read an in-depth review on the Aquaclip at this cool backpacking gear review website by clicking on this link http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/aquaclip/

My pack (ULA Catalyst) has two elastic straps with spring loaded Tiny and Mini Cord Locks like these for sale at Zpacks. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml I would assume you can find a couple pieces of elastic cord and do the same thing on your straps. Z packs also sells this shoulder pouch that might do the trick http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I also have the Osprey Atmos 65. Those pockets are hard to use with most water bottles. Have you tried using a smart water bottle? they are 1 liter, but tall and skinny. I find I can reach the pockets in the pack and insert these 1 handed. And they push them fully in behind the compress strap so they are secure. I can not do that with wider bottles such as a Nalgene 1 liter. So instead of a bladder I carry one of each type and really drink from the smart water bottle. Then use the Nalgene in camp when measuring water for cooking.

Thanks BigHodag , This was very useful

I made a bottle holster from ripstop, using a stuffbag pattern I found on the internet. I lined it with part of an oversize water bottle so my ozarka bottles would slip in and out easily. Then I used a carabiner to clip it to my pack strap (at the bottom, not the chest). The whole thing weighs less than half an ounce.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I don't generally carry water that way, but when I did, it was with these: http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Caraban.../dp/B00IWTRB94 . I still use one on my relief bottle in the wintertime so that it's outside the pack. You really have to stretch them tight. Most wide-mouth bottles have a groove below the shoulder that they'll snap into. They don't last forever, but neither does anything else I've found for the purpose. I didn't pay nearly the price Amazon is asking. I seem to recall that they turned up at the job lot store, or something.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I use the bungee and cordlock method. One goes around the neck, and another one goes around the middle of the bottle.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I use the bungee and cordlock method. One goes around the neck, and another one goes around the middle of the bottle.
    This, I would only add that it carries better upside down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I don't generally carry water that way, but when I did, it was with these: http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Caraban.../dp/B00IWTRB94 . I still use one on my relief bottle in the wintertime so that it's outside the pack. You really have to stretch them tight. Most wide-mouth bottles have a groove below the shoulder that they'll snap into. They don't last forever, but neither does anything else I've found for the purpose. I didn't pay nearly the price Amazon is asking. I seem to recall that they turned up at the job lot store, or something.
    Thank you so much for introducing us to the Carabandits! I bought a pack and have found so many uses for them. I can't wait to use them out on the trail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++