WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Lets dispell some of the incorrect information posted on this thread.

a) you will not be classified as a 'thru hiker', therefore you WILL need a permit. No exceptions.
    b) You can only reserve at a shelter that still has space. You may need to plan longer and shorter days than originally planned if any shelter on your schedule isnt available.
    c) IF the shelter is full, then a thru hiker allowed to camp within sight of the shelter. Since you are not a thru hiker and have a reservation, you will need the shelter to be full, and have a thru hiker come in that is willing to take your spot so you can camp.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    The safest bet is to do the lesser mileage if it's a concern. That way there's no stress to your hike & if you get into camp early, there are always place to explore nearby.
    That makes sense but the inability to tent camp was a deal breaker so father south it will be. Besides it will be fun to go through NOC where I grew up rafting. Neither of us have backpacked in more than a decade (so had to replace almost everything - stuff got better!) but we are both fit so who knows what we can do. I guess we'll find out?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Lets dispell some of the incorrect information posted on this thread.

a) you will not be classified as a 'thru hiker', therefore you WILL need a permit. No exceptions.
    c) IF the shelter is full, then a thru hiker allowed to camp within sight of the shelter. Since you are not a thru hiker and have a reservation, you will need the shelter to be full, and have a thru hiker come in that is willing to take your spot so you can camp.
    I believe thru hikers need permits, also. They do not need reservations. Permits can still be filled out by hand at the park entrances, right? A section hiker with a reservation is not allowed to tent if the shelter is full. He/She has the reservation, therefore, the thru hikers are the ones that need to "take it outside" if the shelter fills and a section hiker with reservation fills up, right? Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    add 50 miles to the North & hike sobo, that way you'll start out with some what easy trail, be able to resupply in Hot Springs, get to cowboy on Max Patch & Resupply in Gatlinburg & eliminate your shelter reservations. ~Enjoy~
    I believe you must start and finish your hike at least 50 miles from each entrance to the Smokies to be considered a thru hiker. 50 miles to the north or the south won't cut it. Ickybod

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    I believe thru hikers need permits, also. They do not need reservations. Permits can still be filled out by hand at the park entrances, right? A section hiker with a reservation is not allowed to tent if the shelter is full. He/She has the reservation, therefore, the thru hikers are the ones that need to "take it outside" if the shelter fills and a section hiker with reservation fills up, right? Ickybod
    No more hand filled permits at the entrance. Complete on your computer and print out the day before you leave.

Well, yeah, the thru hiker with no reservation has to leave the shelter and camp. If they refuse what are you gonna do? Either escalate the situation or camp. You won't get ticketed if the shelter is full and you camp under this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    I believe you must start and finish your hike at least 50 miles from each entrance to the Smokies to be considered a thru hiker. 50 miles to the north or the south won't cut it. Ickybod
    That is correct.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No more hand filled permits at the entrance. Complete on your computer and print out the day before you leave.
    But thru-hikers do need permits according to the Smokies website. You either carry that extra piece of paper with you from your start or find a place with a computer, like the lodge at Fontana Village or Standing Bear Farm Hostel on the north end. Looks like thru hikers can do the permit thing as far as 30 days before they get to the smokies.

The permit is good for 38 days from when it is printed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The permit system for the GSMNP has changed for 2013.

All hikers (thru and section) must use the new online computer system to make and PAY for reservations, and must print their permits ahead of time. You can no longer just show up and fill-out a permit.

There is basically two types of permits: AT-Thru hiker permits, and general hiker permits.

AT-Thru Hiker Permits:
    To be eligible for a 'thru-permit', you must start and end your hike at least 50 miles beyond the GSMNP borders.
    A Thru-Permit cost $20.
    The permit is valid for 38 days, but once you enter the park, you are required to leave the park by the 8th day.
    You do not have to specify which shelter on which nights you plan to stay at.
    If a shelter is full, you may camp in a tent within site of the shelter.
    https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=2

General Hiker Permits:
    If you don't meet the requirements for a Thru-hiker, you must obtain a general hiker permit.
    Permits cost $4/night/person (maximum of $20/person) for a maximum of 8 days. (If you plan to go for 10 days, you need two permits)
    You must obtain a reservation for each specific site for each specific night you plan to be there.
    Each site has a limited number of general hiker reservations available (this now goes for ALL back country camp sites).
    By contrast, in the past, you didn't need reservations for "low use" campsites.
    Even if you have a reservation, it is possible that an AT-shelter might be full upon your arrival (because thru-hikers are not required to stick to a specific itinerary... so more thru-hikers than expected might show up). I 'think' the "official rules" are that when a shelter over-flows, thru-hikers are required to tent outside (but within view) of the shelter. But as a practical mater, if the shelter is full upon your arrival, you'll need to be the one setting up a tent outside the shelter.
    https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by icewarrior View Post
    Is there an outfitter that we can use for transportation? How about food drops? hoping not to have to carry more than 4 days of food.
    While I know there are others, the two main companies I've used for transportation around GSMNP has been http://awalkinthewoods.com/ and http://www.aaahikerservice.com/.

However, no matter who you use, its not going to be cheap. This distance between Fontana Dam and Davenport Gap is around 100 miles and includes windy two-lane roads. The trip requires about 2+ hours (one way), so any transportation service is going to require at least half a day of their time to transport you.

So the minimum cost is going to be about a tank of gas and a half-days wages (perhaps $200 to $400).

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I keep hearing no tenting allowed, but what about hammocks? Has this ever been addressed separately?
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

The back country rules for GSMNP state:
    Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.
    The rules also SEEM to use the terms "campsite" and "shelter" as a way to distinquish between the two types of sites:
    "Camping is permitted only at designated backcountry campsites and shelters"
    "Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters"
    "All odorous items (e.g., food, trash, lip balm, toothpaste, stock feed, hay etc) must be hung on the bear cable system at each campsite or shelter"

So MY interpretation of the rules would be that you can not hammock camp at a shelter, with the exception of AT-thru hikers that would otherwise be allowed to tent camp at an over-flowing shelter.

The website doesnt specify all the types of 'shelter systems' that a hiker would be carrying. In this case, the term 'tent' would apply for any backpacking shelter system that a hiker would be carrying. This would include tent, hammock, tarp, tarptent, bivy, etc.

Although it is not specifically spelled out in the rules/regulations, when hammocks are used the park service prefers that 'skins' are used to help protect the trees from damage. This would fall under the Leave no Trace philosophy.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++