WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need reassurance

Hi, I'm hoping some experienced hammockers can help me with my overnight fears.
    This summer my husband and I hiked the NJ and most of NY sections of the trail.
    One of us carried a hammock and the other a tent so that we could "experience" both.
    I loved the comfort and ease of set up of the hammock but had lots of trouble sleeping because I felt so vulnerable with nothing underneath me. Every noise I heard startled me into thinking an animal was going to take a bite out of my backside! Or destroy my backpack.
    I keep trying to remind myself that we both survived with our backpacks and backsides intact but I'm still feeling fearful. I know a tent doesn't offer much more protection but it just feels safer lol.
    Has anyone else had to get over that fear or just had years of safe experience in a hammock? I'd love to have the reassurance of hearing those things.

I'll chime in as a user of both tents and a hammock! I'm taking the hammock on the attempt this spring because of the comfort factor. In '11 I woke up to every sound, as you describe. I hope to be sleeping and not notice this year! Realistically I'm protected by nylon either way!

I'll figure out stowing the pack, but how secure is a tent vestibule really?

Images
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Now that's funny right there

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

It's probably just a matter of getting used to it - pretty much human nature. Besides, think about all the things that creep, crawl, slither and scurry on the ground that can't get to you in a hammock. Anything bigger will find a way irregardless of tent or hammock. Besides, I'd think that using a hammock on the NJ section would give you a lot more choices in camp sites due to the rocky terrain and dense trees.
    Last edited by Offshore; 11-01-2014 at 17:51.

For me, I realized that the only three animals I was really concerned with were bears, snakes, and mice. Then to realize that the mice were interested in the shelter, the bears were in town raiding the trash cans, and the snakes were all either chasing the mice in the shelters or more likely hibernating. Everything else was just leaves rustling in the wind....

Besides, it's the bugs that will most likely get you by an over 10:1 margin. (intestinal, spiders, ticks and mosquitos)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swonut View Post
    For me, I realized that the only three animals I was really concerned with were bears, snakes, and mice. Then to realize that the mice were interested in the shelter, the bears were in town raiding the trash cans, and the snakes were all either chasing the mice in the shelters or more likely hibernating. Everything else was just leaves rustling in the wind....

Besides, it's the bugs that will most likely get you by an over 10:1 margin. (intestinal, spiders, ticks and mosquitos)
    Thats right, as to the rodents I have seen a few snakes over time posted up in a shelter wait'in on a shelter mouse...

Images

i had a skunk under my hammock pulling on the zipper to my pack. i grabbed my pack and ran into the hostel. Fat Chap didn't tell me till morning it was a pet skunk. one morning i found a hiker under my hammock. his tent leaked in the night.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    It's probably just a matter of getting used to it - pretty much human nature. Besides, think about all the things that creep, crawl, slither and scurry on the ground that can't get to you in a hammock. Anything bigger will find a way irregardless of tent or hammock. Besides, I'd think that using a hammock on the NJ section would give you a lot more choices in camp sites due to the rocky terrain and dense trees.
    Not true, they can climb! 521.jpg

Thank you all for helping me laugh about this and not feel so alone :-)

Get a 3 or 4 season tarp with doors...it has more of a tent feel....play tricks on your own mind....you will love them when it rains and the wind blows...
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

For me, it's been years of safe experiences. The only anxiety the first few times out was more about camping solo so far out in the wilderness.

I will however attest to some FREAKISHLY realistic and vivid dreams my first few nights spent in a hammock. The kind where you ask yourself if it really happened. I think it must have something to do with the swaying. I've heard some descriptions form other first-time hangers that confirm this.

Images

I have used both a tent and a hammock while backpacking. Although I tend to prefer a hammock for comfort, my wife likes a tent for the warmth and being together while sleeping. If you decide a hammock is for you then as Hikehunter suggested try a tarp with doors. It is basically a tent suspended above the ground. This may provide you with the "security" you are seeking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good Posts everyone... a hammock requires setting up in the backyard for a few nights and getting used to the experience. Although more comfortable, its all in the head.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Yes, having the tarp with doors does give it more of a tent like feel. It makes it super easy to change and also experiment with different levels of ventilation.
    I was hanging with a warbonnet blackbird, an underquilt, and superfly tarp, which has the doors. Everytime the doors made any kind of flapping noise I was sure it was a creature clawing in to eat me as a human burrito!
    You have no idea how helpful it is to know I'm not the only one whose mind thinks this way.
    I did sleep many many nights without fear in my backyard; but the woods was a whoooole different set of noises and I have campground camped my whole life. It really is a different experience but worth getting familiar with.
    I have had many "peaceful" moments in the woods but gosh the wood can be super noisy at night lol! Thanks again for all the laughter and tips. :-)

I think you will get use to sleeping in the hammock, at least I did. I remember the first time I slept in a hammock on the AT was at the Standing Indian shelter. There were reports of bears being active and it was a very windy night. I think I woke up at every sound thinking it was a bear. Now I sleep better in my hammock than my tent.

Images

Wear ear plugs till you feel comfortable sleeping in a hammock. It keeps out all of the sounds of the woods.
    AT section hiker
    CT- 06
    MA- 07
    VT- 08
    NH- 09,10,11 -(finally finished!)
    Maine- 12, 13,14 - (50 miles to go)
    Maine- 15 - 100 mile Wilderness to Katahdin
    New Jersey, New York- 2017

I've been hammocking for years now, and I feel very comfortable and safe inside, especially after the first night or two of an extended trip. I'm sure you'll feel that way too after a while.

I feel safer in the hammock than a tent. I'm above most if the trouble. That said, the northern LT has very good climbing mice that will "peek" in to see how you're doing.

Most if it is just experience and what you're used to. My husband was raised to fear nature and he has come a long way from his first nights in the woods. I was raised to study it and learn about it. Big difference for us when we hear a ruffed grouse drumming at 3am! Lol
    Give it time. Or take a Benedryl before bed like my mom does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...never give up your back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++