WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pack Frames?

Default Pack Frames?

I'm a long time lurker, but that's another thread. Anyway where does one find a pack frame. I haven't seen any on net sites or in outdoor stores. What I am thinking of is just something you can tie or fasten things to that has a reasonable or good suspension. Do a good bit of trail maintenance and tieing mattocks, rakes, etc to my day pack has torn up the daypack. In addition it is a drag to carry these implements of destruction for several miles before you get where you are going.

Images

You can usually get an Army issure rucksack frame with the straps and without the frame at a good surpluss store.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

You might try a local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. Or maybe you could buy a used frame pack cheap on ebay and just discard the packbag.

I remembered seeing a Freighter Frame over on Ben Meadow's site - you may want to check it out - http://www.benmeadows.com/store/prod...cat_prefix=2WB
    That looks like a possibility but YMMV

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out army surplus next time I go to the big city. After I posted last night I checked on campmor and they had one for 80 bucks as well. More then I want to spend for this kinda of thing. Thanks alot.

Most pack companies don't sell frames separately, but like you mentioned Campmor (I worked there for 9 years) used to sell the Camp Trails Freighter Frame for like $80. You can lighten it up by taking off the shelf and can also toss the frame extender bar. Might do the trick.

GA-VA/ME-VA '04

Cabelas has 4 frame packs you can get without the packbag.The Alaskan Outfitter,the Guide model ,and the Alaskan 1 and 2.All four have a "freight self".They cost from $55.00 to $95.00.Cabelas toll free # is 1-800-237-4444 or you can go to their web site www.cabelas.com

++ New Posts ++