WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone know if public transportation is available from Knoxville to Gatlinburg?

Anyone know if public transportation is available from Knoxville to Gatlinburg? I'm looking to thru-hike the BMT SOBO starting at Big Creek in GSMNP. Don't mind the hitch up TN Hwy 321/73/32 from Gat to BC but want to avoid the hitch from Kville into the Gat/Sevierville area.

Seeking inexpensive options so NO TAXIS or GSMNP BUS TOURS. If I had to hitch can someone describe the hitching on Hwy 441 between Kville and Sevierville?

Thanks.

No punlic transportation between Knoxville and Gatlinburg and I really wouldn't recommend hitchhiking. 441 is a four lane, busy highway and the chances of getting a ride from k'ville to G'burg would be slim. ?I would recommend a shuttle but if your looking for cheap options, that may not work well for you either.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

No public transportation between Knoxville and Gatlinburg and I really wouldn't recommend hitchhiking. 441 is a four lane, busy highway and the chances of getting a ride from k'ville to G'burg would be slim. I would recommend a shuttle but if your looking for cheap options, that may not work well for you either.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Default Anyone know if public transportation is available from Knoxville to Gatlinburg?

I'm not sure why you would need to go to Gatlinburg at all. From Knoxville it's just a straight shot on I-40 to the TN/NC border and the BMT.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadam View Post
    I'm not sure why you would need to go to Gatlinburg at all. From Knoxville it's just a straight shot on I-40 to the TN/NC border and the BMT.
    I'm not all that familiar with the BMT, and I haven't hitchhiked anywhere, but grizzly's comment makes good sense to me. I would add that the Knoxville airport (I assume you're flying in) isn't actually in Knoxville. It's in Alcoa, a town south of Knoxville, and on the opposite end of the Smokies. So if you're aiming for Big Creek, the freeway is mostly definitely the way to go. You don't need Gatlinburg. You definitely don't want to spend hours winding through the mountain roads. A quick study of an area map will show you what I mean. What you need is someone who is driving from the Knoxville airport towards Asheville, NC. Or, since that's sort of unlikely, just a ride into Knoxville, maybe to an I-40 truck stop or something. Alcoa Highway (aka Airport Hwy, or 129) goes north from the airport directly to downtown Knoxville. If you can get to the Strawberry Plains exit just outside of town on the east side, there's a big truck stop. From there you should be able to find someone who can drop you off at the state line.

Lots of other options too, of course. Depends on whether you want to hitch from an I-40 rest area, from a truck stop, from a secondary road, or something else.

One other thought: when we see hitchhikers on the I-40 onramps, we generally assume they are the homeless vagrant type and we don't even consider stopping to offer a ride. You might want to display a large readable sign saying "HIKER - NEED RIDE TO TRAIL" or something like that. Then we might stop. The sign might even help you in the airport.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Still ironing things out. It's only a 25 mile hitch from Kville to Sevierville. Once in Sville I can take the trolley. I'm greyhounding into Kville from Atlanta. I want to head to sugarlands to pick up a permit and to talk to NP rangers about adding hiking miles to a northern terminus start of a SOBO BMT thru possibly by hiking to Big Crk from near Sugarlands via Old Sugarlands, Trill Gap, Grotto Falls, Brushy Mt, Old Settlers, Porters Cr(CS #31), Gabes Mt(CS #34), etc to Big Crk. Never hiked that area of GSMNP. That's why I want to go into Gat. To get my BMT res as well as this extension ALL on one permit. ALL OF THIS would have been extremely easier BEFORE the new permit regs requiring ALL backcountry camping at campsites to be on a reservation only basis. It's going to require a lLOT MORE organization upon my part. I'm wondering if it's not easier to apply for a thru-hiking permit?

One more question. What's the closest mailed or buy resupply pt near Big Crk? I know about north to Newton TN and south Waynesville NC areas. Anything closer. Again I don't want to hitch out too far.

Thanks again.

Journal Entries

There's a gas station / convenience store at the I-40 crossing near Big Creek. There's the hostel, Standing Bear I think it is, just north of the park on the AT. I haven't been there, but I assume they would hold a package for you.

Images

morristown has a greypuppy bus stop which would be a little closer. permits are still an issue.

Dogwood,

When are you coming through? I'm in Knoxville and drive to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg pretty often. Could give you a ride if the timing works

Ryan

Thanks everyone for the beta. A WB member offered to give me a ride to Gat from Kville. Going to check out the synchronous fireflies I've always missed at GSMNP and take in some additional areas of GSMNP that I have missed. I've been getting cranky lately because I haven't hiked in the past few months. The dogs are barking; they need to be fed and be taken for a 500 mile walk.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can get your backcountry permit online and reservations over phone.

Standing Bear Hostel actually is a few minutes away from Big Creek.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++