WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Wink Pinhoti Trail thread

With alatrails shutting down on June 15th. (the primary source for up to date exchange of trail info about the Pinhoti)
    I encourage all visitors to this forum to request White Blaze to give the Pinhoti it's own thread so that trail conditions
    and information can be readily exchanged.
    Thank you,
    bb

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbob View Post
    With alatrails shutting down on June 15th. (the primary source for up to date exchange of trail info about the Pinhoti)
    I encourage all visitors to this forum to request White Blaze to give the Pinhoti it's own thread so that trail conditions
    Thank you,
    bb
    It's basically a bicycle path in Georgia so that part is ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's a basically a bicycle path in Georgia so that part is ruined.
    That part will never change. It's a nice trail in Alabama. Some fairly new shelters have been built. Too bad about the website Bob. I saw that. The spammers have ruined it. I for one would like to see it get it's own thread under the Listing of other Long Trails but as Tipi has said the Georgia portion is multi-purpose so that may never happen either. I add my request though.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    That part will never change. It's a nice trail in Alabama. Some fairly new shelters have been built. Too bad about the website Bob. I saw that. The spammers have ruined it. I for one would like to see it get it's own thread under the Listing of other Long Trails but as Tipi has said the Georgia portion is multi-purpose so that may never happen either. I add my request though.
    +1..............

I suggest closing down all the "other" trail forums on WB. After all, this is "A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts". Says so right at the top.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I suggest closing down all the "other" trail forums on WB. After all, this is "A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts". Says so right at the top.
    Everything grows and evolves, even WB. Maybe you will too some day.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Just curious...why does that bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Just curious...why does that bother you?
    Where did I say I'm bothered?

In my opinion I think Whiteblaze should go the other direction and get away from specializing on the Appalachian Trail and become more of a Backpacking site. The Other Trail forums help to push it in this direction. There are millions of backpackers out there who rarely hike the AT and they need a decent site that's not obsessed with ultralight gram counting (BPL.com) or slow moving forums like Backpacker magazine.

The AT backpacker is a unique type of backpacker who can carry minimal food and have constant access to trail shelters. "Normal" or "other" backpackers tend to pull trips with no resupplies and no reliance on box shelters. They need an active and energetic website that's not obsessed with gear and has enough members to get quick responses.

Images

yep it is but those same AT hikers hike other trails and want info on them also.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

I agree with you. I don't come to WB (nor pay) for an "all things to all people" site. Frankly, as WB siphons off visitors from other trail sites, it's part of the cause of that demise.

There are sites for people who want politics, jokes, sea turtles in Florida, trekking in Nepal, even hammocking!, and what-not. More power to them. Just don't ruin WB with a shotgun approach.

Perhaps others will "grow and evolve" to see that when you mix all colors, you don't get a rainbow, all you get is brown.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I agree with you. I don't come to WB (nor pay) for an "all things to all people" site. Frankly, as WB siphons off visitors from other trail sites, it's part of the cause of that demise.

There are sites for people who want politics, jokes, sea turtles in Florida, trekking in Nepal, even hammocking!, and what-not. More power to them. Just don't ruin WB with a shotgun approach.

Perhaps others will "grow and evolve" to see that when you mix all colors, you don't get a rainbow, all you get is brown.

RainMan

Is Whiteblaze about to end? You use the word "demise".

A backpacking site such as WB does not have much politics, few jokes, few sea turtles or much on Nepal trekking. Hammocking is okay because it includes Backpacking and backpackers who use a shelter called the hammock. No problemo. A website strickly on AT hiking would get boring fast as you suffocate under the minutiae of shuttles, trail shelters, Classes Of, trail history, trail days, elevation gains, resupply points and all the rest. You'd just end up with 2013 thruhiker Billowing Zygoat looking for her friend Staunch Elephant.

Backpacking is refined enough and is of one color. WB thankfully has many forums on other trails, other gear and other kinds of hiking trips.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

really?? what about the threads you have started that is about hiking other trails...Foothills Trail, Sheltowee Trace. Pinhoti Trail in Al..etc
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Consider this;
    More and more northbound thru hikers on the AT are starting their trek from the southern terminus of the Alabama Pinhoti at Flagg Mountain and even if it
    never is an official extension of the AT these folks might enjoy getting their trail info in one place for their 2500 + mile adventure.

As far as WB being loaded up with other trail info, I would rather see it there than have to search a dozen different sites for it. It takes me all of 2 seconds
    to click on forum, scroll to other trails , and open that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbob View Post
    Thank you,
    bb
    Personally, I'd be all for it, but it's also not that hard to search the word "Pinhoti" every once in a while. It would help if the GA sections were legitimate trails and not road walks. I think a lot of people have a hard time taking it seriously because so much of it isn't really a trail as much as a road walk. Hopefully this will improve over time.

As to the other comments about limiting this site to AT stuff only, not trying to be a wiseguy, but it's not that hard to not read the things you aren't interested in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by marti038 View Post
    As to the other comments about limiting this site to AT stuff only, not trying to be a wiseguy, but it's not that hard to not read the things you aren't interested in.
    I appreciate your comment about not trying to be a wise guy, nor am I when I say that it's not hard to not post extraneous things that have nothing to do with the AT. In fact, it's even easier not to post irrelevant stuff than it is for all the victims to have to weed through and separate the chaff from the wheat.

It'd be like a Ford car site, with users wanting threads for Chevy, BMW, Toyota, and etc. After a while, it has lost its focus on Fords.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

The Pinhoti is a National Recreation Trail, and Appalachian Trail connector.

Plus it is part of the ECT/GET if I’m not mistaken. And the GET has a section so how much road walk GA is irrelevant.

WB is primarily about the AT that’s fine, but also has information about hiking, backpacking in general. The section for other trails is a good resource for those that come here and is incomplete with out a Pinhoti section.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post
    The Pinhoti is a National Recreation Trail, and Appalachian Trail connector.

Plus it is part of the ECT/GET if I’m not mistaken. And the GET has a section so how much road walk GA is irrelevant.

WB is primarily about the AT that’s fine, but also has information about hiking, backpacking in general. The section for other trails is a good resource for those that come here and is incomplete with out a Pinhoti section.
    here here! and if people dont like the GA section, just call the thread "alabama pinhoti". then we'll talk about whatever we want, including the GA sections. semantics.....
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Just curious, are there any formal requirments for a trail getting it's own thread?

I was surprised it didn't have it's own when I saw some of the others that do, but maybe we just need to talk it up more?

Quote Originally Posted by marti038 View Post
    Just curious, are there any formal requirments for a trail getting it's own thread?

I was surprised it didn't have it's own when I saw some of the others that do, but maybe we just need to talk it up more?
    I guess it's a judgement call by the mods. There are hundreds of trails so it's not clear-cut which ones are "worthy" of their own forum or subforum. But it would be nice to see all the threads on the Pinhoti (as well as the Ozark Highlands, Superior, Sheltowee, Foothills) consolidated into one subforum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++