WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Salamanders

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Salamanders

Anyone seen them along the AT?

Other than gazillions of the little red efts, I have come across precious few. Saw a hotdog sized one in a deep foot print in some spring snow in the Whites once, but can remember any others.

I read this morning that the GSNP has more kinds than anywhere else. Not sure they,wanting the country or world.

Just wondering. The pictures I've seen make me want to turn some rocks over.

The Smokies are known as the salamander capitol of the WORLD! Its special to have such great diversity so close to home. There are 5 families and 30 species within the park!

The 5 families of salamanders that can be found in the park are: Cryptobranchidae, Proteidae, Salamandridae, Ambystomatidae, and Plethodontidae.

The Smokies are the epicenter of great evolutionary diversification among the family Plethodontidae (commonly known as lungless salamanders) which includes 24 species within the park.

Researchers come from all over the world to study salamanders in the Smokies. It is an amazingly diverse park and we are lucky to have it!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tons of these along the trail in Connecticut 108.jpg technically it's a red newt, but it's in the salamander family
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    The Smokies are known as the salamander capitol of the WORLD! Its special to have such great diversity so close to home. There are 5 families and 30 species within the park!

The 5 families of salamanders that can be found in the park are: Cryptobranchidae, Proteidae, Salamandridae, Ambystomatidae, and Plethodontidae.

The Smokies are the epicenter of great evolutionary diversification among the family Plethodontidae (commonly known as lungless salamanders) which includes 24 species within the park.

Researchers come from all over the world to study salamanders in the Smokies. It is an amazingly diverse park and we are lucky to have it!
    Because the AT follows the ridge line in the GSMNP most hikers won't see a lot of salamanders in the park. But if you become a trout and swim in the rivers you will see all that you describe. As I'm sure you well know
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

14. Eft-Which Means an Immature Newt!.jpgSaw this one on day 1 of my section hike through the southern half of the smokies just 3 weeks ago. It was probably 3 miles before Mollies Ridge Shelter. Someone who sounded like he knew what he was talking about said it was an Eft (immature newt). Like you said Rick, lots of red ones. By the way, after last year's section hike, I bought my daughter a book at the N.O.C. called The Salamander Ball. It takes place in the Smokies. Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

I saw this thing under my tent fly ~3 am, it had been raining all day and night and I guess he wanted refuge; I don't remember the species.

This was near Jerry's Cabin Shelter

We saw a bunch of these one evening just south of Jerry Shelter in NC. It had rained a little earlier, everything was damp. We hiked about an hour after dark, trying to get to Jerry Shelter, or a suitable campsite for hammocks.
    Started seeing salamanders on the trail, every few steps another one. Then found a campsite, and there we probably saw about 50 of them, ranging from 2 to 6 inches long.

sally.jpg

Indeed, GSMNP is a rather unique area offering a tremendous amount of biodiversity. Always have appreciated the efforts of the NPS.

The striking spotted and tiger salamanders in GSMNP always stop me in my tracks to observe them.

I wasn't on the trail, but I saw a Hellbender Salamander in a creek in North Georgia. It was 20 to 24 inches long. Wish I had my camera with me when I saw it.

On top of Blood Mountain, I saw a gorgeous salamander. It was about 3-4 inches long, with half of its body and electric blue color (don't remember if it was the top half or bottom half). It scurried off too quickly for me to get a photo.

++ New Posts ++