WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default "Cheapish" 40degree sleeping bag under 2lbs

I have been looking to cut down weight in the ol pack and it seems like a good idea to start with the sleeping bag. I'm curious as to what the WB community uses or has used for 40 degree sleeping bags under 2 lbs. I've never had a synthetic, but am willing to jump into that field if it fits the criteria. The other deciding factor would be the packed size of the bag.

so please friends, throw me some ideas that won't kill my wallet or my back.

ps. I know there are plenty of other threads pertaining to this discussion but one more never hurt anyone

There was some recent talk over at backpackinglight.com about an inexpensive Wal-Mart down bag that may fit your criteria. Go on over and check the forum.

I am all for getting by as inexpensively as possible.

However, that being said, you OFTEN get what you pay for. An inexpensive 40 degree bag might really be closer to being a 50 or 60 degree bag--and it might even lose its loft (and insulting value) much more quickly with repeated (or continual) use and/or after 1-2 washings.

My personal experience is that even a GOOD 40 degree bag isn't always warm enough for me--except for on the warmer days of summer. (And even during the allegedly warmer days of summer--there are some nights when it still gets cold--sometimes even cold enough to have frost).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

I know you said bag, have you ever considered looking at quilts ? Before you discount them,take a look at a few websites that sell them. A light summer quilt for $ 199 and under a pound , can be used during spring as well as early fall , depending on where you live.
    The best part; they're made right here in the USA.

www.hammockgear.com/top-quilts
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Dont know if they still make them but I have a G-light by world famous sports.. 40 degrees , synthetic, 1.5pounds and packs smaller than a football. Not waterproof but i have used it about 9times and no problems yet. I have used it into the upper 40 and stayed warm. When it gets colder i wear an insulated shirt and socks and beanie in my bag.

Images

Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have used this bag down to 40 degrees, with clothes on, and it has worked out very well for me. I have used it about 25 nights in the past year, and it has exceeded my expectations. The specs say just under 3 pounds, but I have not weighed it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Durtydan View Post
    I have been looking to cut down weight in the ol pack and it seems like a good idea to start with the sleeping bag. I'm curious as to what the WB community uses or has used for 40 degree sleeping bags under 2 lbs. I've never had a synthetic, but am willing to jump into that field if it fits the criteria. The other deciding factor would be the packed size of the bag.

so please friends, throw me some ideas that won't kill my wallet or my back.

ps. I know there are plenty of other threads pertaining to this discussion but one more never hurt anyone

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleeping-bags/alpine-blanket-35/product

This system works great for me. Lots of room to move around in, if too warm - uncover, if cool at night - use silk liner.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I use a Texsport Fleece Sleeping Bag ($17.99 on Amazon). It's comfortable to about 50 for me with a silk liner and I put on my smartwool/layers when the temps get down into the 40s. Works great for me. Shipping weight is 1.2 pounds. Probably a little less but I can't say I've actually weighed it. Of course, ymmv.

During the colder months, I sewed myself a 2 person Apex quilt that my wife and I use when hiking (I made another for the kids). It's good down into the upper 20s and weighs 35 ounces. It cost me $300 to make and I erred on the side of too much rather than too little. You could buy a professionally made one for less than that and easily around the 1.2 pound mark. Something to think about.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Cheap / Light Weight / Warm - pick two hahahaha

A quilt is what you are ulitmately going to want. Go over to hammockforumn.net & search check out the wnb pages for each cottage manufacturer.

I use a jacksRbetter quilt for >40 deg F overnight lows. Wasn't exactly cheap but I will never need to buy another one.

Images

This bag gets good reviews, it's not expensive, and weighs just under 2 pounds. I've not used one, though.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

At Uncle Johnny's I saw a 45 degree synthetic Lafuma bag for $95 which weighed 1.5 pounds and compressed very small. (Uncle Johnny's is a hostel and small outfiter store in Erwin, TN. Lafuma bags can be found at numerous on line retailers)

I have a 45 degree lafuma down bag which cost about $160 and weighs 1.5 pounds. With a silk liner, thermal underware and in a tent, it has kept me reasonably warm into the 30's.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Eureka Silver City I think its rated to 35, weighs 2lbs, and I did not pay more than 50 buck, I think, I have had it for a long time- serves me well

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Dick's Sporting Goods has a fleece Bag 50* for 12.99 that weighs just over a pound.....Walmart can't even touch that. Quality? No. Functional? Absolutely. I figure I'll need to replace it every year...so what.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Dick's Sporting Goods has a fleece Bag 50* for 12.99 that weighs just over a pound.....Walmart can't even touch that. Quality? No. Functional? Absolutely. I figure I'll need to replace it every year...so what.
    Teacher - that sounds like the one I have. Costs virtually the same at Amazon with free shipping. I'll bet if we checked the manufacturing label we'd find they came from the same place. As for the quality, I will say that ours have lasted over half the AT so far and a whole bunch of smaller hikes in between. Still going strong. I will say this though. It is fleece with absolutely no wind protection. So if you are not sleeping in a tent, shelter or other something that keeps the wind off your bag you will be significantly colder than in still air. My quilt has a water/wind repellant barrier on both sides and an extra bit of fabric along the outside edges to keep drafts out for just this reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Teacher - that sounds like the one I have. Costs virtually the same at Amazon with free shipping. I'll bet if we checked the manufacturing label we'd find they came from the same place. As for the quality, I will say that ours have lasted over half the AT so far and a whole bunch of smaller hikes in between. Still going strong. I will say this though. It is fleece with absolutely no wind protection. So if you are not sleeping in a tent, shelter or other something that keeps the wind off your bag you will be significantly colder than in still air. My quilt has a water/wind repellant barrier on both sides and an extra bit of fabric along the outside edges to keep drafts out for just this reason.
    Sorry, I mean "you" in the general sense and more to the OP. I love my bag as I'm sure you do yours

Journal Entries

I just bought the Marmot Cloudbreak 30 a few weeks ago for 119.99. It weighs a little over two pounds used it twice and it seems to be a decent bag for the price.
    RIAP

thanks everyone for the replies while I was at work. and Teacher and Farmer, I actually work at Dicks Sporting Goods in NJ and have explored a few options but nothing that hits what I'm searching for on the nose. the closest seemed to be the 40 cosmic down that was suggested and as of now, my colder bag is a 20 cosmic down so I can always resort to that which is a mere 109$ before my employee discount.
    I don't know why under quilts didn't really cross my mind but that is an area I know nothing about and it might just work out fine for the hotter months. been hunting for a used marmot atom 40 online that someone wants to sell for a good price. for ~1.3 lbs, I'd spend a few extra bucks to get that beauty...anyone ever use it or hear any first hand reviews?
    thanks again mates

and believe me, I understand that the three categories I'm trying to hit don't really like to work together (price, weight, warmth) but I enjoy a good hunt for the right gear and a great deal on that gear and all opinions/advice are greatly helpful in the process

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Sorry, I mean "you" in the general sense and more to the OP. I love my bag as I'm sure you do yours
    I actually haven't tried mine yet...Snacktime an I are headed out in another week and we got these for the warmer weather and weight savings. We're fairly sure they'll be warm enough for 50+ nights.....and really, the price was too good to pass up.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I have found the 50 degree fleece bags to be pretty darn chilly much below 60 degrees. I find them to be more of a VERY heavy sleeping bag liner than a real sleeping bag.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++