WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

I live about 120 miles from Springer Mountain. Cannot wait to get back on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    15 hrs from Hamilton.................in your Maserati???
    Well if google maps supposes everyone has maserati's lol 15 hours and 36 minutes to be exacact

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    That's interesting too. Are you still hoping to hike some this year?
    Not sure I can get the time off this summer. My sisters went and scheduled a family reunion in August at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    15 hrs from Hamilton.................in your Maserati???
    That's only 97 km/hr - Not really that fast - you just need a big bladder.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Ohio is about 6 hours to the nearest part, but I once drove to Virginia, hiked 15 miles, and drove back the same day. Now I am building a house outside of Richmond so it will be about an hour away in the future. I can even join a trail club.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Not sure I can get the time off this summer. My sisters went and scheduled a family reunion in August at my house.
    Oh- I'm thinking you are OK with that although I didn't see any "face" to go along with the statement. The trail will be here waiting on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Ohio is about 6 hours to the nearest part, but I once drove to Virginia, hiked 15 miles, and drove back the same day. Now I am building a house outside of Richmond so it will be about an hour away in the future. I can even join a trail club.
    Sounds like a plan!!

about 35 miles now a days to the closes trial head.

Journal Entries
    Images

Its between 4-1 1/2 hours drive
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

How fortunate u are to live so close to the trail. Its an 8-10 hr drive for me to get to the trail. The wife and i just spend 3 days down around Springer Mt on the Approach and AT trail. It was so great being out on the trail again but took us a day to get there and a day to get home.
    Gas is now up to $4 a gallon so it equates into both time and $'s.
    There are so many times I would love to be able to go a week/half week trip but not easy due to the above.
    Be grateful u are so close!

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    114 miles. I used Google Maps to calculate some different driving distances. I was surprised that the AT in Hanover NH was closer to North Reading, MA than the AT crossings in Massachusetts were.
    Greetings! Fairly new to WB & enjoying the site greatly. I'm in Western Mass between Worcester & Spfld. Google Maps gives me 75-80 miles to Mt. Greylock in No. Adams. I don't use the 3 options they listed, I drive the local shortcuts/ backroads & it's 57 miles with awesome scenery & small towns. Takes a bit longer, but more often than not I'm on the motorcycle for a day trip. Getting a ride at the end of the month for a 3 day NOBO. Starting my conditioning for a planned SOBO Thru in 2014. Will be out quite a bit between now & next June. Thinking about a Long Trail Thru in Sept. Hope to meet some of the WB family in the process. BTW, I'm all for the separate forum suggestion I read........ for Go Slow Hikers, like me!!!! I'm into the nature around me when I get out, so 15 miles is a BIG day for me......I'm more inclined to "stroll" 8-10 & be happy with it. As a recently retired firefighter in a pretty good sized & busy city, it's time for me to pedal back some. Peace all!

Two miles from trail in Vernon, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    How fortunate u are to live so close to the trail. Its an 8-10 hr drive for me to get to the trail. The wife and i just spend 3 days down around Springer Mt on the Approach and AT trail. It was so great being out on the trail again but took us a day to get there and a day to get home.
    Gas is now up to $4 a gallon so it equates into both time and $'s.
    There are so many times I would love to be able to go a week/half week trip but not easy due to the above.
    Be grateful u are so close!
    I'm very grateful I'm so close, tawa. If you or anyone is in my area and need anything just PM me on here. I"ll be here for ya. Of course, I'd love to meet & greet my fellow Wber's as they pass through.

Myself, and my friend Deer Hunter (he's near Glascow/Buena Vista VA--- Whiteblaze member) can help hikers out since we live so close to the trail.

I hear ya on the gas prices. It's not $4 a gallon in VA but it's still high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by danil411 View Post
    Two miles from trail in Vernon, NJ
    Wow- you got me beat!

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    114 miles. I used Google Maps to calculate some different driving distances. I was surprised that the AT in Hanover NH was closer to North Reading, MA than the AT crossings in Massachusetts were.
    I had to check.
    I'm 71 miles as the crow flies from where the AT crosses US-20 and over the Mass Pike, and less that 1 degree from due west from me.
    81 miles from Stratton Mountain, VT.

It's 90 miles driving to the US-20/AT parking lot, and 115 miles to the closest road crossing to Stratton. However, I'm 90 minutes to the US-20 lot, but 3 hours to Stratton...

Two miles from Waynesboro to Rockfish Gap.

Just too darn far, just 30 miles from the atlantic ocean, eastern shore of maryland!! I do get to take a short hike the first week in july, caledonia state park heading north.

Images

I'm about 5 hours from the closest point, where the A.T. crosses I-70 near Frederick, MD. But, I'm within about 7 hours of any point from Damascus, VA to Vernon, NJ. (OK, maybe with a little speeding).
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

About 1/2 hr from Woody's Gap

Thank you Hikermom for the offer. Except for hiking from Woods Hole Hostel --North about 49 miles I have all of Virginia to hike.
    Made to Damascus--Nobo--from the Approach Trial before coming home. So looking forward to getting back and doing Virginia in 2-3 sections. Hike some in Hoosier National Forest and Shawnee National Park but not the same as the AT.
    So maybe late Summer or early Fall. Make it a great weekend.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++