WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

I live about 25 miles from the AT near Boiling Springs

Journal Entries
    Images

4 Hours to the Smokies (the closest access to the AT) from Northern Kentucky
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I live just over 200 mile from Windy harbour.....
    It seems my first calculations were slightly off. SW Australia is slightly closer to Springer Mt than Katahdin. So measuring from Springer, the town that is the furthest from the AT is Prevelly at 11,347 miles from Springer. Downtown Perth is almost as far at 11,272, so unless we have someone living a few miles further south, then Oz is definitely the winner. And here is another oddity for you. If your were standing on Springer Mtn and wanted to take the shortest great circle route straight towards Perth, you would have to head about 3 degrees north of due west.

Depends on the section as I am in NE TN, but the closest is 6.5 miles

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    It seems my first calculations were slightly off. SW Australia is slightly closer to Springer Mt than Katahdin. So measuring from Springer, the town that is the furthest from the AT is Prevelly at 11,347 miles from Springer. Downtown Perth is almost as far at 11,272, so unless we have someone living a few miles further south, then Oz is definitely the winner. And here is another oddity for you. If your were standing on Springer Mtn and wanted to take the shortest great circle route straight towards Perth, you would have to head about 3 degrees north of due west.
    Prevelly is more a place name (a beach) than a town.
    I do live on the south side of Perth....

Default Just Curious- How far do you live from the AT?

Loving how the Aussies win again!!

Too far these days. I used to live about an hour away in Fairfax, VA but I'm now living about an hot west of Ft. Worth, TX and missing the AT.
    TEXMAN, I can see why you spend your summers in Maine! We escaped the heat last summer by hiking from Katahdin to Caratunk and then visiting Acadia NP. We fell in love with Maine on that trip!

Oops. Not "an hot west of Ft Worth, TX". Meant "an hour west..." Talk about a Freudian slip! Google maps tells me it's a little over 950 miles to springer mtn.

Images

16 miles as the crow flies, 23 miles by car...

230 miles from Springer.

51 miles from Rebecca Mountain (Pinhoti Trail).

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Approximately 6000 kms give or take a 1000

About 90 miles to DWG from Binghamton, NY. When growing up in central PA I was about 20 minutes from the trail head on 183, PC, Eckville and so on. I loved visiting the Pinnacle often. OP, do you know who the Hickey family is? Stuart Hickey works at the outfitter there while they live in Troutdale on route 11. I initially thought that Paige Hickey was you when I met them last Dec. on my thru but was quickly informed to be incorrect.

3 hrs but my family lives within 6 miles of the NOC. You can actually see the wesser fire tower

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    About 90 miles to DWG from Binghamton, NY. When growing up in central PA I was about 20 minutes from the trail head on 183, PC, Eckville and so on. I loved visiting the Pinnacle often. OP, do you know who the Hickey family is? Stuart Hickey works at the outfitter there while they live in Troutdale on route 11. I initially thought that Paige Hickey was you when I met them last Dec. on my thru but was quickly informed to be incorrect.
    Hummm....I recently talked to a guy that works at the outfitter in Daleville. I didn't get his name. He lives in Troutville. When I was asking him if he ever got on WB (he doesn't) it came out that I was HikerMom. Right away said... "No way... so you're HikerMom! After my face turned 100 shades of red, and him assuring me that it was all good ... LOL! He said that someone had come in to the Outfitters asking about "Hikermom" in Nov./Dec. and told me that they thought that his mom or his wife was me. I bet that's the Hickey family, you are speaking of... they are planning on opening a hostel in Troutville. That's their plan and their dream. Does that ring a bell? That's really funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRoo View Post
    Loving how the Aussies win again!!
    ummm... I think the winner is LW he is the closest. A couple of years ago there was someone on WB that lived and worked at mountain crossings. I think his pad was within a few feet of the trail. Maybe he is still there.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

An hour and a half to Newfound Gap/ Clingmans Dome crossing area.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    ummm... I think the winner is LW he is the closest. A couple of years ago there was someone on WB that lived and worked at mountain crossings. I think his pad was within a few feet of the trail. Maybe he is still there.
    We will have to take a closer look for a final decision but LW sure is in the running for- closest to the trail. I need to get busy and do some work with percentages.

I'm about 2.5 hours from Springer.

To the nearest trail he'd in GA....10 hrs drive....and worth it!

Images

Roughly 250 from my house to Boiling Springs, PA. Wish I was closer.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++