WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Anybody Else Plannin a Good Bit in Advance?

I'm beginning to plan my SOBO AT thru-hike for June 2016 and am looking for a companion(s) to join me. I plan to start in Maine the first week of June 2016. Right after I'm done in the Army, hiking the AT is to 'get my life back' (I'm not retiring, I just don't want to play Army anymore).. So this gives me a few years to plan, get my gear together, and practice using my stuff and skills. I plan to start at KSC 6-1 starting about 10mpd. I have a few itineraries but would like input of a hopeful person or persons that can join me or going roughly the same times. Let me know if you're interested, thanks.

Images

Good luck. I'm planning my second attempt NOBO 2016. See you on the Trail somewhere, I hope !!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I'm planning my NOBO for 2018, A long way away, but I gotta finish college first sadly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jronca View Post
    I'm planning my NOBO for 2018, A long way away, but I gotta finish college first sadly.
    Nope, no 'sadly' about it. Do the hard thing first, then the vacation. Took me 30 years to get my degree.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I'm planning a thru hike when I'm 90 years old. NOBO class of '49

It's seeming to look like planning 3 years in advance is unheard of.. I think I have alot more opportunity to succeed this way, plus it's not like I can get out of the Army any sooner (well I can, but I don't like to do things half fast). Thanks Old Hiker, hopefully I will see you somewhere there! Just look for the girl with the lamb. (not an actual live animal, but there will be some sort of lamb friend with me) ;0)

Stir Fry

I started planing my 2014 thru in 1996. 2013's not to early to dream of a 2016 hike..
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

2016 is too far away. plan for next year and just keep postponing.whatever yearr, you wont be hiking alone, plenty of people out there that will be in the same boat as you.
    in the meantime, have fun with us here in the nuthouse.great way to stay on the trail when you can t be on the trail

2015 for my wife & I ... with the initial idea germinating back in 1992. Never too early to plan for the fun things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I'm planning a thru hike when I'm 90 years old. NOBO class of '49
    That puts me at 102. Meet me at Springer Mtn. Second Saturday March 2049 and I will hike with you. Muske-gon

Journal Entries

I am shooting for a 2018 NOBO at this time
    Blackheart

Images

Planning is fun! I love planning long hikes. After the first one though not much planning really needed. Still fun to spend hours pouring over maps & look at new/better gear.

Hey, I'm in the same boat... EASing from the USMC in a couple of months, and have been planning this thing for the past couple of years. I'll be attempting a Northbound through-hike with my fiance next March. I've been buying gear for a few years now, but am leaving the rest of it up to chance and timing. I figure that's the best part of getting out, going wherever the fk I want to go whenever it suites me!

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

After spending a month backpacking in NW New Mexico in 1971 (14 yrs old), I decided that, 1 day, I'd get on the AT & walk from Maine to Ga. after high school. Well, Uncle Sam got me for 4 yrs....then marriage, kids & career happened. In all that time, I've been half-assed planning a thru hike. My planning got serious last Nov. Got my Hennessy Hammock yesterday after using 1 over the 4th of July. Soooo comfortable!!! No more ground sleep for me! My SOBO Thru attempt is still 10 months away, but that leaves a lot of time to play with/tweek my gear. So, keep planning!! Keep adjusting!! Keep the dream alive until the time comes! Even if it takes 42 years to get there.........it's all worth it!!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Images

Follow these people, Wounded Warriors. There is a group thru-hiking the war off. It is an excellent thing I recommend. With my background in colleges and thru-hiking (love for nature and backpacking) I can only exemplify how good nature can heal with proper guidance. I'll put a link below. Honestly though, I feel this group gets way too much fan fair at town stops and as nice as it is it may have diluted their experience a little, or it added a lot! That is only my opinion. You can easily chat on FB with them. Cool group and I hope they are healing mentally with this immersion technique. https://www.facebook.com/events/396171233835294/

I just found mention of that group on a different thread today, thanks for posting the link though! I've requested info, and will probably approach them on fbook soon....

I am going SOBO in 2016 also. I planned to go solo, but more and more people are advising against that.

Perhaps we can have those interested in hiking together do a Labor Day 2014 hike for 2-3 days to see how well personalities/interests match up. It would be a bad thing for us to show up in June and find out nobody gets along.

Images

I started planning in 2010 and had to keep putting it off. Now I'm back in grad school again so once I finish my PhD, I'm hitting the trail. It will be in 2016 or 2017, depending on when I finish. Saving money will be the hardest part since I'm living on a stipend. I already have most of my gear, which could be good or bad. I basically just need my base layers and a sleeping pad. Anyway, it's fun to be planning and obsessing this far out IMO.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

++ New Posts ++