WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Heck in a few years a hiker want even have to carry food just go from one hiker feed to the next and be just fine, it's getting that way know.

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:45.

Great post HM.

I don't understand why many hikers mouth the mantra HYOH but then when circumstances are not in accords with their likes, they say those circumstances should be eliminated. Hikers who don't like shelters should just hike their own hike and hike past them and allow those who do like shelters to hike their own hike by staying in or near them. Same with trail magic. If you are opposed to trail magic, then I say fine, go ahead and hike your own hike and hike right past or do not partake at all. However, you should be willing to let those who wish to partake of trail magic to hiker their own hike and to partake in trail magic.

I started hiking on April 5 and did not do long daily mileage. So, I really wasn't part of the huge hiker bubble. However, during the almost 3 weeks that I was hiking, I only experienced 2 instances of hiker magic related to food. One was 2 gents set up in a gap somewhere between Hawk and Gooch who were grilling hotdogs and sharing cold sodas. The other was a cooler of Little Debbie snacks in a tree shortly after Hog Pen Gap. The trail angel who left the cooler then hiked to Low Gap Shelter where she collected all the trash accumulated from the site and hikers who wanted to offload, then after staying a night, hiked back to collect the cooler and any trash left. In both instances there were hikers who just hiked past and didn't partake. I don't understand how their hikes could have been negatively impacted.

So, my thought is just HYOH and Let others HTOH, that is, don't impose your way of hiking on others.
    Trillium

Rick---

Not sure what you mean by "commercialization." If someone is providing rides, shuttles, meals, etc., and only after doing this tries to ding the hiker for money, well of course this is wrong. But if a service is provided and the hiker knows well ahead of time that there's a fee expected for the service, whatever, then I think that's fine. The hiker can decide for themselves whether or not this is something they want. But as for regular "trail magic", which usually involves food but sometimes other things, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would object to this. What is really astounding are the folks who accept these kindnesses......and then say mean things later about it. Real simple: This is the kindness of strangers. If you want to graciously accept it, by all means do so. If you're not interested, then graciously decline. I swear, this isn't rocket science, tho this issue comes up every year. Anyone ever hear the phrase "No, thank you?"

Images

hey jack, it was actually me who used the word commercialization, and i was alluding to the feeds and festivals with vendor booths,etc., not trail angels or trail magic.I honestly found them to be fun on my section hike this spring, neither pro or con, but understand those whove seen the AT evolve into something other than theyd like.
    and yes, its easy enough to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I did a quick count today of the "trail magic" on my PCT thru and there was 1 feeders , one cooler of fruit, a great cooler of beer and soft drinks at one of the worst spots on the trail, snacks from a hostel on the trail, snack and drinks, a barrel of snacks, a cooler of drinks and several beers in an ice cold stream. A total of eight in 2653 miles. But the real angels were the folks that hauled countless gallons of water to some very dry areas. Those I really appreciated but could have managed to handle even if they were there. Trail magic isn't yet out of control onthe PCT, though I was in the back of back in the beginning and front at the end so there may have been more when the much elongated pack went through. There were also a few VERY generous folks that opened up their homes to hundreds of hikers every year. Donna Saufley comes to mind as a true trail angel, no quotes needed.
    I think this leads to a very important point. Each trail has a very different "feel" to it. The more I read about it, the AT is the "social" trail. You hike it if you want to deal with other people. Other hikers. Stuffed shelters. Lots of towns. Zero days that can turn into zero weeks. A NYC zero day. A Broadway show.

And trail magic.

If you don't want to deal with people, there are other, similar length trails out there where people will be rare. Heck, there are similar length trails where the trail itself is in short supply. Hike the trail you want to hike, but don't try to turn all the trails into the same trail.

On the other hand, if there aren't enough people for you on the AT, and you think slackpacking is the way to go, look towards Europe. Several of the long English trails have support options, where you just carry a day pack and sleep in a hotel/hostel/bed&breakfast every day with your luggage being transported for you. Again, look for the trail that meets your needs and expectations. I don't want to turn the AT into the Cross-England, nor do I want to turn the Cross-England into the CDT.
    Fred Coulter

My Hikes
    Working on the Florida Trailwalker program: 9 down; 1 to go

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:47.

Everyone is so damn sensitive. People ask for opinions/inputs and we give them, then we're called naysayers, I guess because we hurt someone's feelings

If you don't want to have your feelings hurt then don't ask the question. It's like everyone wants us just to nod our head and mindlessly agree with everyone.

Now lets all sing Kum bah fuk'in yah ... geez, stop being so sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Everyone is so damn sensitive. People ask for opinions/inputs and we give them, then we're called naysayers, I guess because we hurt someone's feelings

If you don't want to have your feelings hurt then don't ask the question. It's like everyone wants us just to nod our head and mindlessly agree with everyone.

Now lets all sing Kum bah fuk'in yah ... geez, stop being so sensitive
    This issue is particularly difficult in that respect, because us 'naysayers' are telling really nice, thoughtful people that we don't appreciate their efforts. I understand why that's an unpopular opinion.

I wouldn't say any of the stuff I've said here to a 'trail angel' out on the trail, unless they specifically asked my opinion... But this is a discussion forum, we discuss things. I feel that this is the perfect place to express my opinion and hear the opinions of others. I don't get offended if someone tells me something I don't want to hear. As long as the conversation remains civil (which it almost always does on this site) then I see no problem with a little disagreement.

Some, maybe most, folks come here with questions and posts expecting or in need of accurate, rational and reasonable responses. Not everyone is looking for a kind of chat room full of opinions that are far removed from the OP. This thread is a good example. Person posts about plans to cruise the AT in a RV and maybe do some trail angle stuff. He gets a little in the way of advice and suggestions, but tons of negative bs and all kinds of opinions about the trail angel topic in general. The part I find disturbing is that some posters give their opinion over, and over, and over and a relatively small group or clique seems to just take over and in the end, kind of wreck the thread by imposing their own chat room nonsense into it. Even when other posters point out in a subtle and nice way, the the thread is getting ugly, they ignore the other members and seem to give themselves underserved self importance and isnsist that everyone has to listen to them, or else.

The OP said 'any thoughts?'

I'm sorry if people need a lesson on the internet, but don't come onto a discussion forum and ask for 'any thoughts' and not expect a range of responses. In fact there's a 'straight forward' forum for those that would like to avoid that outcome. I don't go into those threads unless I have specific advice.

So if people disagree with your demeanor, they need a lesson on how to use the internet, by who MD, you?? You feel comfortable telling people what forums they can go on? BTW, I notice many of your post refer to "us" and "we". Do you represent some AT Hiker group we are unaware of?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55:1485257
    So if people disagree with your demeanor, they need a lesson on how to use the internet, by who MD, you?? You feel comfortable telling people what forums they can go on? BTW, I notice many of your post refer to "us" and "we". Do you represent some AT Hiker group we are unaware of?
    Same questions addressed to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    No if someone disagrees with my demeanor, meaning they think I'm being disrespectful or rude and not just they disagree with the content of my post, then I'd like them to tell me that so I can address it... Not make vague posts about 'some posters.' I can get out of line at times and when someone points that out to me I apologize and do my best to correct the behavior, like most civil people. I asked HM what she found 'weird' in my post because I genuinely did not see where I had crossed a line, she declined to answer me so I still don't see it... Care to correct me?

In this case 'us' refers to those that share my opinion. There were several in this thread and your post was vague enough that I couldn't tell who you were referring to... But now I'm guessing it was directed at me. No biggie, I'm open to criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Same questions addressed to you.
    I was thinking the same thing. That entire post could be turned the other way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    If you want to graciously accept it, by all means do so. If you're not interested, then graciously decline.
    Of course. And whether one accepts the generosity of a stranger or not, I hope that all of us would appreciate the kind spirit in which it is given.

Perhaps my take is too theoretical. People like Jack -- who really live the hiking life -- certainly have a clear take on the reality of the day. I recognize they may hold the greater truth.

It's just that I see the Trail itself providing the magic. And I am not just talking about the views and animals and the like. I most definitely include the churches, and bars and abutters and hunters and day hikers and neighbors -- each with a proximate relationship to the AT -- some who become angels for a day and others for a lifetime.

I know the distinction is small, but I can't help but think that (by and large) those of us "from away" can sort of dilute the magic that is born from the trail itself-- when we come to the trail with the express surprise of dolling out our largess to the current crop of thru hikers. Or at least it's import.

But yea, I do recognize that an ice cream cone scooped by one of 10,000 (and growing)former thru hikers who drove 200 miles to seek you and your brethren out, will be just as delicious as one provided by a local who was once puzzled baby the parade of grungy men and women walking down his road.

i am sure we share a similar hope that the magic found along the AT endures for decade upon decade no matter how it evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Fresh Grounds, who I saw near Erwin, is following a group of early season thrus up the trail. Pretty sure that Curtis knew of him. I think he stays at a given location for about two weeks, then heads a couple weeks up trail.

I personally would not like to see too much of this, but the early season thrus seem to be big fans. On that particular day, a long hot dayhike, I was a fan too. If done LNT, seems pretty harmless, except to businesses located just after the "angel" locations.
    Yea that's what got my goat and part of the reason I responded and I'm not good at putting "paper to pen" but I'll take the heat.
    I lost over $400 dollars worth of business just this year alone because of him and another like it last year.
    Hikers countered "but he's sending people to you" ....as if I need that. He knew about me and the Hostel.
    So, I'll jack up my prices to counter what I've lost? etc...etc...etc.
    Every nickel and dime goes back to keeping everything running. I'm just a middle man to the bank.
    If wasn't for hikers I wouldn't be an all year...full-time self employed guy nor enjoy living the life I do taking car of hikers.....for that I thank you my dear hiker.
    However, if you want to leave your "trail magic" along Interstate 40 and I have to clean the trash up that ain't right.
    Did I tell you about the bear problems we have? No. Thanks for feeding them with your "left out in the woods" trail magic.
    Other then that I don't care if there's a steak dinner for all the thrus at all the Gaps from GA/Ma.
    Should be to "stickys" on the homepage of Whiteblaze....how to hike GSMNP and how to conduct trail magic.

Last edited by HikerMom58; 06-13-2013 at 22:49.

Oh goodness HikerMom, my post wasn't meant to be reflection on you at all. It's obvious you are a natural born angel with or without a trail. You grasp things quickly, re-adjust and adapt with no complaints and always listen to what others have to say. Sorry you thought the shoe fit. It doesn't.

If you don't like Trail Magic, just go hike the damn CDT. Ain't too many hiker feeds going on out there....

Seriously, if you don't like it, ignore it, say 'no thank you', and move on.

I really don't understand the hostility of people against hiker feeds and trail magic and the people who provide it. Nobody begrudges you if you prefer to be an anti-social hermit, especially while you're out on the trail, and the miles under your boots didn't give you a deeper understanding than the rest of us about how the trail 'should' be. Clearly experience doesn't equal wisdom.

If a guy wants to be generous and spend his extra time and money doing something nice for hikers, WHO THE EFF ARE YOU TO DUMP ALL OVER IT???? Who are you to tell him how he SHOULD spend his money instead? That is the height of arrogance.

Y'all may have a lot of miles on the trail, but you've never walked in anyone's boots but your own. If somebody chooses to be part of the trail community by being generous and providing a service, instead of doing a thru hike, what's it to you?

Here's an idea--instead of sitting here on WB telling people how wrong they are, why don't you go out and actually do something nice for somebody else, just for giggles, without any expectation of getting anything in return. Then you might actually *understand* where the original poster is coming from.

Or you could just sit there and be a bitter grump.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++