WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In June I did the Springer to Neel Gap. I planned (and did) 8-10 mile days because I'm 68 yrs old and had rather saunter than hike. Your feet are the part of you that will send you messages if you haven't hiked in your hiking shoes carrying a pack the approximate weight you'll be carrying on your trip. This whole Georgia section (as well as all of the AT) should be enjoyed. Hike your own hike. Park your car at the end of your hike and get shuttled back to Springer or Amicalola Falls, then you won't feel so much pressure to get to the end of your hike at a certain time. Don't over pack your pack. There is water at every shelter and Lance Creek, but plan well during the day because there are stretches that will be dry this time of year. Plan to take a break at Mtn Crossings--it's a neat place that has seen lots of history. Soak in your experience and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by marti038 View Post
    Anybody know how strong an AT&T cell reception would be at Woody Gap or Neel Gap?
    BTW ... there is cell reception off and on while you're on the trail. I got cell reception at both Woody and Neel. It's hard to know just where you'll get it at other places. Much easier to get texts out than voice.

We did this hike over Labor Day weekend, but instead ofgoing all the way to Unicoi in 4 days we stepped off at Neel’s Gap after 2.5days because we were sick and tired of the rain.

If I had to plan this over again I would do the same routein 3 days (stopping at Neel’s), but I would have waited for a weekend with lowhumidity and a near 0% chance of rain. We were having a ball until the skyopened up. I’ll keep my section hiking plans flexible from now on.

Most section folks we met were hiking from Springer to Neel’sin 4 days, which would be a much more comfortable pace. It seemed like everyonewe met was from Florida. Was there a hurricane evacuation this weekend?

We also hiked the approach trail which I personally did notregret. The first mile is unquestionably the most scenic, but the approachtrail overall was a lot of fun. We parked at Amicalola Falls SP, so we wereable to leave our packs at the lodge while we hiked up the falls. We also hadbreakfast at the lodge which was a GREAT fuel up before our hike (even if itwas a little overpriced).

Wes Wisson shuttled us. What a guy. I’d recommend giving hima call if you need a lift in Georgia, or however far north he’ll go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++