WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    the doyle needs work. i can do the work. i need angles

Angles...........get a tie in with the bill bryson based movie, whats a letter to the executive producer cost, some time, a stamp, an envelope. low risk, low probability, but a possible big payout..........

Another........This Old House......The Doyle is old, ties in with Americana, ties in with the AT, and again, whats a letter, or short video going to cost......

Throw in a couple of Trail Legends into the mix.............the angles are endless

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Keep dreamin' y'all, but nobody with money is going to invest tens of thousands of dollars or more in a backwater town with no upside. As for hikers coming to the rescue...most don't have that kind of money for a reason, their priorities are on quality of life and not money. Good Luck, though!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    Angles...........get a tie in with the bill bryson based movie, whats a letter to the executive producer cost, some time, a stamp, an envelope. low risk, low probability, but a possible big payout..........

Another........This Old House......The Doyle is old, ties in with Americana, ties in with the AT, and again, whats a letter, or short video going to cost......

Throw in a couple of Trail Legends into the mix.............the angles are endless

Great idea. Get Bryson involved. He can get the job 65% complete and then write a book about how the government prevented him from finishing it.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Great idea. Get Bryson involved. He can get the job 65% complete and then write a book about how the government prevented him from finishing it.
    Thanks, I am happy to facilitate your snarkiness

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    fredmugs, That was really good!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

The Doyle renovation idea has possibilities.

Unfortunately, in order to get folks like me to throw their money in as "donations" most of us would want to see a detailed plan...as well as some guarantees that once the renovations are undertaken/completed the structure will continue to operate well into the future.

The last thing I want to do is be a "shill" for the Doyle renovation fundraising project..and find out that place is going to be sold or demolished anyway.

Based upon my cursory inspection of the Doyle (completed while having a burger and cold soda; the waiting for a ride with a trail angel), I too would expect that hundreds of thousands of dollars could go into the place before you even got to the "major renovation" work.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

I'm in the construction field. While I haven't been in the Doyles in over ten years, I know any current public building like that would be shut down because of numerous code violations. All this reminds me of how bad the Ironmasters Hostel (Pine Grove State Park) was before it was shut down and then reopend by its current owners. The price tag to bring that building up to code and repair it because of the years of neglect and wear and tear was astronomical. The only way they pulled it off was intense lobbying for state and local grants and a lot of political influence to get the job done in a little over a year. From what I saw in the video, the Doyles is in ten times worse shape than Ironmasters was. Realistically, I don't know if it can be pulled off. Perhaps if we're seriously interested in saving the Doyles, we should consider contacting the group that now owns Ironmasters to see if they might be interested in saving this Old Lady of the Trail.

Images

I had forgotten about the Doyle until I sae that Staiwell in Zelph's video...Then it all came rushing back!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I actually met Matthewski in Duncannon, I couldn't believe it. The Doyle definitely needs a lot of work, I'd start with the AC.

Journal Entries
    Images

There was AC?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    There was AC?
    never.........

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh good... now I understand.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    I actually met Matthewski in Duncannon, I couldn't believe it. The Doyle definitely needs a lot of work, I'd start with the AC.
    Seems like a vacuum cleaner and some rags would be a good place to begin.

Then take one room, paint it, and replace the carpet. Then another and another. Doesn't address the code issues, or the plumbing, but at least you would feel like you could sit down.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I'll see your 54 and raise you two.

I'm bent, but I'm no angle. If a serious offer, I may have a donation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEP_dPN3Haw
    I'll see your 54 and raise you 30. Having retired 22 years ago on a fixed, and not very big pension, I use any surplus on my local land trust trails, and Maine trails. But I enjoyed the Doyle greatly on my several visits, and thus hope that an angel responds.

Is it for sale or is this rhetorical? Pat and Vickey were very much around last week when I was there with Someday and HillBilly Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    So what's the status? Is the Doyle now closed? Or do they have a date to close it down?
    Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Is it for sale or is this rhetorical? Pat and Vickey were very much around last week when I was there with Someday and HillBilly Bart.
    I asked a simalar question a while ago, never got an answer.

Consider the source. Do you really need to ask?

Journal Entries
    Images

Me too, Matty!
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

I just found out that one of my ancestors was a founding father of Duncannon. James Baskins founded Baskinsville which later became part of Duncannon. Unfortunately I haven't inherited any family fortune that would allow me to fund this enterprise.

Where many say its a total redo...you should get a second opinion. Much of the structure would be grandfathered for many things, but an electrical/plumbing/fire alarm redo would be in order. The removal of internal structures may not be necessary unless structurally unsound. A good cleaning and some intelligent paint choices....along with refinishing the floors would go a long way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++