WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: which shoes?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Ugh! I need help here!

I have tried several hiking shoes/boots. My preference is something less restrictive (plus, I have good ankles/knees). However, I still have issues with either my heels or upper foot rubbing. I was sized this last summer by a "better" shoe store, and the clerk told me that I have a very wide toe box with a very narrow heel. I have gone from Keens to Teva's, to Merrills, to whatever I wore last year. I still have problems!

Advise?
    Perhaps take the ones that fit you best, with the right size toe box, to someone who can make custom insoles. Also, if the top of your foot is rubbing without your heel slipping, you likely have an instep too high for the shoe, or you are cranking the laces so tight to avoid heel slipping that you have effectively made the shoe too tight. If you haven't already, check out different lacing techniques to see what works best for you. http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

Trail runners all day.

It looks like I always choose the wrong footwear option, last year went against conventional wisdom and used lightweight Goretex shoes during a hot season, they did great the first week but after that they got wet and gave me some nasty blisters, which, after two more weeks healed and were okay. This year I use trail runners and we had very cold weather with deep snow and slush, fortunate not to get frost bite, feet stayed wet in cold conditions. I guess both were the right shoe, just the wrong year.

I will also add that a pair of Goretex socks with non-waterproof trail shoes provides the best of both worlds.

Images

I ditched boots after a couple hundred miles on the AT and switched to hiking shoes (not running shoes) and have been pretty happy ever since. Nothing works perfectly, though! I also ditched Gore-tex and am pretty happy with that choice. Again, every choice is an imperfect balancing act.

Footwear is the most critical choice in backpacking, but it also is very definitely a "hike your own hike" choice, too. Nobody's feet, stature, gait, weight, etc. is just like yours. So, it's not really a question a poll can answer for you.

Fact is, you can do the hike in either, so ... enjoy being on the trail.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    It looks like I always choose the wrong footwear option, last year went against conventional wisdom and used lightweight Goretex shoes during a hot season...
    I've been to so many shoe stores where the staff always point you toward Goretex models. When I tell them this is a bad idea, they have this "deer in headlights look". I tell them I will come back when they have more ventilated models to choose from.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

In Virginia I'd be comfortable wearing running shoes; certainly they should be better over an ill-fitting boot. If I was hiking New England then I'd suggest you find a better fitting, lightweight, low-cut boot.

I now only wear a Gore-tex boot for day hikes. Once they get wet -- and they will over the course of a wet day -- they will take days to dry out. Plus, my feet don't sweat nearly as badly in a non-waterproof boot.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I've been to so many shoe stores where the staff always point you toward Goretex models. When I tell them this is a bad idea, they have this "deer in headlights look". I tell them I will come back when they have more ventilated models to choose from.
    ive seen that look.in both rei and ems.funny.
    although goretex is great for walking around town,and i will wear moab goretex mids for day hikes in the rain.otherwise la sportiva raptors

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    It looks like I always choose the wrong footwear option, last year went against conventional wisdom and used lightweight Goretex shoes during a hot season, they did great the first week but after that they got wet and gave me some nasty blisters, which, after two more weeks healed and were okay. This year I use trail runners and we had very cold weather with deep snow and slush, fortunate not to get frost bite, feet stayed wet in cold conditions. I guess both were the right shoe, just the wrong year.
    This is what I've recently come to think to. Went on a hike and got blisters on each foot....I've never gotten blisters in my life. The shoes I was wearing at the time had Gortex (or the like),it was 91 degrees and my feet sweat profusely, that coupled with swollen feet from a rocky hike the week before left me feelin some pain and frustration cause I couldn't finish....no more Gortex in hot weather for me, sticking to my sneaks in summer, and boots/trail runners in the colder months. Wait!..what was this thread about, oh yeah...depends on what you like, and what works for you I guess.

sittin on the fence

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    What the data does show, is that for most people, boots are not necessary for hiking with a moderate weight pack.
    I agree with you philosophically, but would love to read this data you speak of. I am always looking for more ammo ;-)

I'd find an outfitter that knows how to fit you for hiking shoes and get whatever they tell you to get.

I'd love to wear trail runners, but my long, flat feet need more support than most of them offer so I have a pair of "low top" hiking shoes. If you were looking at them from the bottom you might swear it was a boot, but from the top they look like sneakers with plenty of ventilation.

Here's what I have (pretty good deal if you wear an 8 or 8.5): http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/alia...dveterans.aspx

Here's another vote for running shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Neither for me, rather a low-cut, trail shoe, not waterproof, like the Merrell Moab Ventilator.
    Moab Ventilators for me too !!
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Running shoes. Sandals would be better!

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    running shoes
    Ditto!!!!!

This is a good, age old questions, but it depends on the weather for me. If its raining a lot, I will wear my hiking boots and if its been dry (say like the Colorado Trail is) then I'll wear a good pair of NB cross trainers. All good either way for me, but.............make sure whatever you choose, that they are broken in before you hit the trail.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++