WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: which shoes?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's your call? Running shoes or boots?

I'm a mid-to-late-twenty-something and I'm doing a week on the AT in Central Virginia at the end of June. I have two options for shoes:

1. My trusty running shoes. These fit very well, they're well-broken-in, they're lightweight, and a week of hiking in them would be a great excuse to replace them after the trip. Since I got these shoes my running-related knee problems went away.

2. Gore-Tex boots. They fit pretty good, but not amazingly well.

I'm leaning toward the running shoes because in dry conditions I will probably be less likely to get blisters. Also, the boots are not insulated, but I purchased them for some field work I was doing in Antarctica, so I'm assuming they'll be too hot and heavy for summer hiking. Part of my confusion here stems from the fact that I now live in Texas, and I don't remember exactly what rain is like or how long it can keep running shoes wet.

Which would you wear?

with a case of blind faith
    Images

NO on the Gore-Tex. When they get wet they take a long time to dry out. If you don't carry a too heavy load go with the low tops.

Images

If the shoe fits then wear it.....
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

The running shoes would be fine.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Runners for me. I like Brooks Adrenalins
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

running shoes

Boots

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

since its summer, id say shoes, if its colder, boots

Default What's your call? Running shoes or boots?

go with what feels most normal to you. it's a total preference call. but as I always say, every ounce on your foot is like a pound on your back

Neither for me, rather a low-cut, trail shoe, not waterproof, like the Merrell Moab Ventilator.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Neither for me, rather a low-cut, trail shoe, not waterproof, like the Merrell Moab Ventilator.
    Agree with this, but I have never known how to categorize these. I just call them hiking shoes. Is this a third category?

Journal Entries

i agree with this. true trail/ hiking shoe for me. hiking boots if your not comfortable will become a major issue with ion a week. go with the running shoe and then invest in trail/hiking shoe if you are going to spend more time on the trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    Agree with this, but I have never known how to categorize these. I just call them hiking shoes. Is this a third category?
    Ditto!! Trail runners are not stiff enough under load and boots are too much. My keens are 16oz. so that is plenty lite for me.
    Tridavis

Default Trail runners

I had a pair of salamons and they were great for my section hike. My hiking buddy talked me out of wearing my mid hikers. In retrospect, the mids would have left me pretty miserable.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I wear trail runners (sneakers) as long as the expected temperatures are above freezing. I've worn goretex boots while backpacking in the summer and it's miserable. Save your north face boots for winter trips.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've hiked in Keens for the @ 5 years but the last year has been in Brooks Cascadia's trail Runners & I won't go back to boots.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries

What the data does show, is that for most people, boots are not necessary for hiking with a moderate weight pack.

After that, personal preference plays a big role.

Some have physiological or even psychological issues that make them lean toward boots too. Thats OK. There is no right or wrong.

I've used both (did Maine and Katahdin in Brooks Cascadias), but now I would only wear boots.
    Too easy to get in over your head in tennie runners.

Ugh! I need help here!

I have tried several hiking shoes/boots. My preference is something less restrictive (plus, I have good ankles/knees). However, I still have issues with either my heels or upper foot rubbing. I was sized this last summer by a "better" shoe store, and the clerk told me that I have a very wide toe box with a very narrow heel. I have gone from Keens to Teva's, to Merrills, to whatever I wore last year. I still have problems!

Advise?

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Ugh! I need help here!

I have tried several hiking shoes/boots. My preference is something less restrictive (plus, I have good ankles/knees). However, I still have issues with either my heels or upper foot rubbing. I was sized this last summer by a "better" shoe store, and the clerk told me that I have a very wide toe box with a very narrow heel. I have gone from Keens to Teva's, to Merrills, to whatever I wore last year. I still have problems!

Advise?
    Forgot to add: While my physical weight is on the high side, my pack weight is moderate (25 with food and water)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++