WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default anyone from PA planning for 2014?

I have attempted class of 2013 with bad luck I'm off trail
    Planning already for 2014 longer financial prep time

I'm not in PA but I'm not far off. I'm over in Jersey. Working on the financial aspect right now and changing the current gear that I have...

I'm right outside Harrisburg. I'm dead set on a responsible, awesome thru-hike 2014. It seems like an obligation before the lands inevitably become unrecognizable during this century. Currently hoarding cash and gear.

I'm from Allentown, now living near State College, and also planning a 2014 hike!

Yah, there's plenty of hikers from PA on the trial. I live in State College and there were two guys I met from Danville, two older ladies from Danville, and a couple of other ladies from central PA. You should have no trouble finding people from PA if that's what you're looking for. I would recommend, though, in terms of training (if you're planning on physically training before hitting the trail), find trails with a lot of climbing. I was mainly training for distance before I left, and that really wasn't that helpful. I was doing 30-35 mile loops on the Allegheny Front Trail in Black Moshanon Park, as well Old Loggers Path in Loyalsock Park. I've also done a lot of hiking in different areas of Rothrock Park and Mount Nittany. I will say, PA is relatively flat and rocky and it would've benefited me to select trails that had a lot more climbing. I would weekend warrior these trails and knock out 20-25miles the first day, camp, and then finish the loop the following day. I would recommend finding a good climb and just going up and down it. It's not bad to get in some distance training, but I wish my cardio would've been better for the climbs. I also went SOBO, so it was steep climbing right off the bat, but even going NOBO there's some climbing to start. I failed to realize that BOTH ends of the trail were where the main elevation changes were. I thought it was gonna be smooth sailing after NH, but that first climb up Mt Rogers in southern VA woke me up!

Images

I'm from Shippensburg and I'm planning on a SOBO hike next year.

I'm right near Delaware Water Gap. Starting early March.

I'm in Northern NJ and planning mid March start

while I currently reside on the Cayman Islands, I'm originally from NW PA and I'll be heading back there end of Jan to do final preparations for NOBO AT , which I'm starting 25-mar (staying at the hikers hostel the 24th). Already have all the gear, just need to get it out of storage and take it out for a couple shakedown runs, and I'll probably do a trip in the Catskills (little winter hike of the Devil's Path) to get some trail legs back. Can't wait. When do you plan on starting?

Images

For training hikes in PA with lots of elevation change check out the Black Forest Trail or plan some loops using the cross connectors on the Quehanna Trail
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I'm from Philly. Planning my hike and checking out every trail in my area. Going to see the pinnacle this weekend!

Images

From Delaware and i'll be out there for my thru-hike early april , have most of my gear except my base layer bottoms and trekking poles see you on the trail.. nobo and super excited..... feel free to check out some of my videos on you-tube. just search Appalachian trail 2014(finding Mecca) or http://youtu.be/0Uvp-CbfXfM

From pittsburgh!

From West Chester Area!

See you all on the trail!

Col. M - I am north NJ too, Sussex county starting march 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in FL but I'm from Northwest PA and I'm plannin on headin out the first two weeks of March. GA to Maine and back again.

I am looking for someone who is SoBo this year in pa. I do not have a car but can meet anywhere in Pa. I will have a dog with me. Looking for a ride to Maine, will split costs. I would like to leave Pa no later than the first week in June. I can leave any time after May 25th.

how are you getting to Maine?

++ New Posts ++