WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    been using a big agnes flycreek ul2, i developed a hole in the rainfly(probably from some campfire ember) and its got a lot of wear and tear on it. Im attempting a thru next spring, and need to look at some alternatives, not necessarily free standing.
    Look into the Light Heart Solo as well. I own both a LH Solo and a Tarptent Notch. Both would be great choices for a thru-hike. If I had to own one of them, it would be the Notch, because I like the option of leaving the inner at home during the non bug seasons. But, if I was thru hiking, I'd take the LH. It has a lot more space in the net tent portion, seems more stable, and is the tent I'd rather be caught in a rainstorm in.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    Look into the Light Heart Solo as well. I own both a LH Solo and a Tarptent Notch. Both would be great choices for a thru-hike. If I had to own one of them, it would be the Notch, because I like the option of leaving the inner at home during the non bug seasons. But, if I was thru hiking, I'd take the LH. It has a lot more space in the net tent portion, seems more stable, and is the tent I'd rather be caught in a rainstorm in.
    Now I'm the exact opposite.

I've owned the Lightheart Solo, sold it, and now own the Notch. Using the LH Solo in wet weather, when you open the fly, rain can get into the tent. Plus, since the fly is attached to the tent body, it's difficult to try and dry the fly out after a night of rain. In my opinion, it's easier to get in and out of the Notch in the rain without getting moisture into the inner. Plus since the fly detatches, it's easier to pack it away w/o getting the whole tent wet, plus it's easier to dry the wet fly durring breacks while hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Now I'm the exact opposite.

I've owned the Lightheart Solo, sold it, and now own the Notch. Using the LH Solo in wet weather, when you open the fly, rain can get into the tent. Plus, since the fly is attached to the tent body, it's difficult to try and dry the fly out after a night of rain. In my opinion, it's easier to get in and out of the Notch in the rain without getting moisture into the inner. Plus since the fly detatches, it's easier to pack it away w/o getting the whole tent wet, plus it's easier to dry the wet fly durring breacks while hiking.
    okay back to square one.

okay back to square one.
    http://www.tentsile.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

nice find RS - Which tent were you using again?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    If I were buying a new solo tent right now, I'd get a Tarptent Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, uses my trekking poles, double wall, less than two pounds. Not free standing, of course.

It looks like a nice upgrade to my Moment, which I rather like.
    +1...really like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyss2000 View Post
    My daughter says her contrail isn't holding up well in the rain. is the notch that much better?
    Dont know about the Contrail but some of the best nights sleep I had were in a Notch with thunderstorms and heavy rain. You will get some occasional misting from large drops hitting and vaporizing the condensation on the inside.

been using a big agnes flycreek ul2, i developed a hole in the rainfly(probably from some campfire ember) and its got a lot of wear and tear on it. Im attempting a thru next spring, and need to look at some alternatives, not necessarily free standing.
    You can patch that hole with Krylon tape (sp?) and it will be good as new, bought an REI Quaterdome with a 6" rip and repaired it, also repaired sleeping bags and down jackets, holds up well when washed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    nice find RS - Which tent were you using again?
    I'm current useing the Big Agnes copper spur ul1 (less foot print $40 to 60 dollars sold separately)....I like it...haven't found anything I don't like about it yet, except that a gear shelf (hammock) is sold separately...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    You can patch that hole with Krylon tape (sp?) and it will be good as new, bought an REI Quaterdome with a 6" rip and repaired it, also repaired sleeping bags and down jackets, holds up well when washed.
    yeah i know, dry bones, but its seen quite a bit of wear and tear, i can still use it for sections, i dont think it will stand up to a thru hike.i figured id like to get a new one for my trip to maine in august so i can master setup and make sure im happy before i spend 5 months in it next year. i know what ive got with the ba and ive been happy with it.
    im not sure the notch is an improvement over the flycreek, and the lightheart solo, i just dont know enough about yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++