WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Crazy night on Pinhoti-Cave Creek loop

Hi everyone, I'm glad this forum has been set up for those who love the Pinhoti and associated trails to share experiences and info.

Earlier this year I started a backpacking/outdoors program through my church in Montgomery, Ala., to get more men out to experience Alabama's trails. I thought you might be interested in reading the report from our trip this May to do the Cave Creek-Pinhoti loop at Cheaha. This was the night that a 50 percent chance of scattered showers turned into almost 7 inches of rain at Cheaha and flooded the Lake Chinnabee campground. It is split into two parts and written from a faith-based point of view.

http://rebootwilderness.wordpress.co...s-trip-part-1/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RebootWilderness View Post
    Earlier this year I started a backpacking/outdoors program through my church in Montgomery, Ala., to get more men out to experience Alabama's trails.
    More "men"? Not women? Not kids?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Is this just a male thing you do? Can't adventurous females do all that you males did? Don't limit this thing to males alone. How about setting up a all female hiking over nighter for those who also wish to get closer to God through less civilization and connection with nature?

Why is everyone so concerned that this was a men's group outing? Where's the outrage over all of the women's only athletic events/runs/triathlons?

Get a grip folks.

I sense no outrage. Personally, regardless of some group's stereotypical norms of what's acceptable for each sex, I would like to see females going on camping trips to get closer to God however they might define God. That was my only intent in my post.

The trip described here was our very first trip. I've got big plans and ideas, but like anything it takes time to build. This fall, we'll offer hikes for men and women. I'd love to expand it further and do an all women backpacking trip if I can get enough interest. I've got an almost 2-year-old son who I'm introducing to the outdoors, so I'm sure we'll involve kids soon. In short, I love the Alabama wilderness and want to share it with anyone who is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I sense no outrage. Personally, regardless of some group's stereotypical norms of what's acceptable for each sex, I would like to see females going on camping trips to get closer to God however they might define God. That was my only intent in my post.
    Then why don't you organize such a trip instead of criticizing Reboot for going hiking with some of the guys from his church? It's not like they went on the trip so they could discuss the superiority of manhood and tell mean stories about girls.

Planning a trip without a representative from every gender, race, nationality, religious affiliation, etc. isn't mean spirited. Sometimes it's just practical.

Thanks for sharing your interesting trip report. I was sort of surprised you didn't get your tent fly fixed and adjusted right from the start so that you didn't have to bail at 9pm that Friday night due to puddles inside your tent. But a tough lightning storm with buckets of rain can test the best backpacker---I can sit thru anything though and would've just stayed put until morning.

Your mentioning God is fine with me but I don't see the storm as God's "righteous anger at evil and sin . . ." It's just a normal natural storm, part and parcel of the outdoors.

And we have a big disagreement when you say the calm after the storm shows God's grace, peace and mercy. To me the storm itself shows God's grace, peace and mercy. But it's a small point and nothing to get hung about.

Images

why does God have to be in the trip? Just get folks together (man, woman and child) who enjoy getting out in nature.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    why does God have to be in the trip? Just get folks together (man, woman and child) who enjoy getting out in nature.
    Did you happen to notice that he organized this through his church? God is kind of a significant part of most churches.

As for the man, woman, child thing, there are appropriate times for all men, all women and all children, and all everybody. Having an all men camping trip with guys from the church, is no different from my wife's "girls night out" with the woman in the neighborhood.

Anything that get more folks off the couch and out on the trail is a good thing.

Images

Hard to believe this poor guy's original post degenerated into an gender equality discussion for no apparent reason other than people want to pick a fight.

We live in a free country and if you want to hike with women only, men only, children only, dogs, cats, old people, young people, or any other category of human or animal, it's your own business.

The statements above that some people made make absolutely no sense...it would be like chastising the boy scouts or girl scouts for not including the opposite sex, or totally unrelated adults on their trips.

Images

Sorry, I did not mean for my post to be mean spirited. My apologies to everyone. I would delete the post, but can't find a way to do it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Did you happen to notice that he organized this through his church? God is kind of a significant part of most churches.

Anything that get more folks off the couch and out on the trail is a good thing.

Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.

Agree with your last sentence
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.
    Really? What churches? I'm not religious at all, but in my experience growing up in a church we didn't do anything that wasn't done with the express inclusion of god... Even if that only meant having a quick prayer beforehand.

A church is a religious-based group by definition, are you really saying you expect them to leave religion out of some of their activities? I've been called a 'militant atheist' at times, but even I wouldn't suggest that.

Cause God likes to hike too, you hardly know He's there, doesn't talk much but when He does it's pretty awsome.

[QUOTE=Ewker;1488401]Yes God is a part of the church but that doesn't mean God is in the trip. Churches do lots of events where religion isn't brought into it.

Unfortunately, it's only been on rare occasions I've seen God show up at church, the odds of meeting Him on the trail are as good as at most churchs....IMO.

Images

OK my turn:
    First, I am a born again Christian.
    Second, I will not go to a foot stompin, pulpit poundin church service and do not believe in forcing my views on others.
    Third, I believe God is involved in everything that takes place.
    Fourth, I am sorry to see so much controversy/criticism for this mans entry even though I thought he leaned more toward a sermon.

Just my thoughts and not intended to provoke anyone......Especially God!

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post

Unfortunately, it's only been on rare occasions I've seen God show up at church, the odds of meeting Him on the trail are as good as at most churchs....IMO.
    See signature below.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Hard to believe this poor guy's original post degenerated into an gender equality discussion for no apparent reason other than people want to pick a fight.

We live in a free country and if you want to hike with women only, men only, children only, dogs, cats, old people, young people, or any other category of human or animal, it's your own business.

The statements above that some people made make absolutely no sense...it would be like chastising the boy scouts or girl scouts for not including the opposite sex, or totally unrelated adults on their trips.

Agree...................this is the group that continually says....HYOH?

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbob View Post
    OK my turn:
    First, I am a born again Christian.
    Second, I will not go to a foot stompin, pulpit poundin church service and do not believe in forcing my views on others.
    Third, I believe God is involved in everything that takes place.
    Fourth, I am sorry to see so much controversy/criticism for this mans entry even though I thought he leaned more toward a sermon.

Just my thoughts and not intended to provoke anyone......Especially God!
    I agree. I don't mind talking about it but I don't want it to go to extremes. If I want to talk about God with a group I go to church. If I want to talk to him by myself I go for a hike. But that's just me.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++