WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Public Transit/Non-Car Traveling To AT from Philly?

Hey y'all: Me and my partner recently moved from NYC to Philly, and as non-car owning/driving types we were wondering if there was any car alternatives leaving from Philly to trail heads, parks, rec areas, etc that lead on to or cross the AT.

We're looking for trains, busses, mass transit basically. If there's people who regularly shuttle from the Philly area to the trail that's fine, too. We're trying to plan some day/section hikes in PA, so we'd rather not leave the state to get at the trail. [I mean, I know how to get on in NYS/NYC which is just 3 hrs out sf the way, so leaving the state would make this question moot!]

Thanks in advance!

1. Take AMTRAK to Harrisburg and contact Trail Angel Mary here on WB for a shuttle to Duncannon

2. There's bus service to the Delaware Water Gap - link to Marz

3. There used to be bus service to Port Clinton - not sure if it's still offered.

Bieber bus, downtown Phili to Reading PA(18 bucks), then take the local bus to Cabell's in Hamburg(2 bucks). Then walk 1.5 miles West to the AT at Port Clinton.

Journal Entries
    Images

Post I also live in the Philly area

And I've used mass transit as much as I can. Here's some options:

1) If you schedule a Greyhound bus trip three or more days in advance, you can get from Philly to NYC for about $12. From there, your choices are (as you probably know) unlimited.
    2) If you ride Amtrak from Philly to NYC Penn Station, and then ride a route that starts in NYC, the added cost is pretty minimal.
    3) Greyhound also goes to the city of Delaware Water Gap -- although they identify their station as "Stroudsburg."
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1487840
    4) You can ride Amtrak from Philly to Harrisburg, and then a city bus to either Carlisle
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-PA&highlight=
    or Duncannon (#23 bus)
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6f28dc87acbde6
    5) Although NYC Penn Station is clearly the northeast hub for Amtrak, a few lines make stops in Philly and then go to cities near the A.T.
    a) The Vermonter goes direct between Philly and White River Junction VT.
    b) The Cardinal goes direct between Philly and Staunton VA.
    6) Getting from Philly to Washington DC by mass transit, and from there to Harper's Ferry, is pretty simple.
    7) As noted above, the Bieber bus to Reading, and from there to Hamburg.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 06-18-2013 at 09:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well as a long standing member I don't run a shuttle, but I am willing to run with my Caravan from Philly to a point on the trail... Want a limo? PM me.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Well hello I don't live too far away from Philadelphia or Upper Darby so feel free to shout if you wanna sync up at some point.

Schuyckill River Trail goes from Philly to Port Clinton. It is a work in progress and I heard a section near Pottsville is not built yet and required some railroad walking. Once finished it should be a one day bike ride.

++ New Posts ++