WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default USFS 42 Parking at Springer

Could anyone give me information on the parking area at USFS 42 a mile from Springer? Is it safe to leave a car for 5 nights and how full could I expect the parking area to be on a late Friday afternoon at the end of July?

I would have no problem leaving my car at the Springer lot for 5 days. And parking will not be a problem late Friday at the end of July.

It's a great place to park but it will cost $2.00 per day.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    What? When did they start charging for parking here?

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Could anyone give me information on the parking area at USFS 42 a mile from Springer? Is it safe to leave a car . . .
    “Two incidents of vandalism reported 06/12.”
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...sm-4-25-13.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    The parking fee was ended at least 5 years ago.

There is no fee to park up at FS42. RED-DOG must be thinking of someplace else. Maybe the hiker hostel.

Be sure to find the correct route up there, which is from the west. You need a 4WD jeep to go up from the east via the Winding Stair Gap road, although I did manage to get my friends all wheel drive Suburu up there this last spring via that road. Once we realised taking that road was a BIG mistake, there was no way to turn around so we has to just keep going and pray we made it to the top and that no one was coming down the other way, since it was basically a one lane road. It was quite an experiance and one of the most exciting parts of the whole trip...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Thanks everyone.

Also remember to -- LEAVE NO FOOD IN YOUR CAR -- Bears are somewhat active there and tore through a car last year for a smell of left food.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is no fee to park up at FS42. RED-DOG must be thinking of someplace else. Maybe the hiker hostel.

Be sure to find the correct route up there, which is from the west. You need a 4WD jeep to go up from the east via the Winding Stair Gap road, although I did manage to get my friends all wheel drive Suburu up there this last spring via that road. Once we realised taking that road was a BIG mistake, there was no way to turn around so we has to just keep going and pray we made it to the top and that no one was coming down the other way, since it was basically a one lane road. It was quite an experiance and one of the most exciting parts of the whole trip...
    I made that mistake in my 2 wheel drive chevy, but I made it all the way up. And I was behind two jeeps, I'm sure they were wondering what the idiot in the truck was doing.

++ New Posts ++