WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Images

city bears are soooo obnoxious !
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    LOL I have to say I'm not afraid of the woods and I hike alone. I take Benedryl sometimes because of insomnia, which I have on and off the trail. Benedryl is the same thing as Zzzquil which is much more expensive. Those of you who have never had insomnia, good on you, you're lucky.
    Beware of Benedryl. It can cause sudden cardiac reactions, even to those who have used it many times in the past!! Like you I took one low-dose tablet to sleep, woke up later with a pulse of over 200 beats per minute. Ended up in the ER with IV's running in an attempt to slow the heart and restore a normalrhythm. Was 5-min from shock treatment, and finally everything went to normal
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I've done some section hiking on the AT with a friend and shared tent and huts. I've also hiked alone, but made sure that the itinerary included overnights in hostels.

I want to venture further, but I no longer have a hiking partner and the hostel thing is severely limiting my options, but the idea of spending the night alone in the woods freaks me out [I'm a grown man so I know there is no rational basis for this].

I'll be hiking in sw-va. well after the thru hiker bubble has passed. My experience is that the AT is pretty lonely in July in that part of the world.

Does anyone have any tactics, mind-tricks, hints or tips about how to open my mind to sleeping alone in the woods. I'm not normally a nervous person, but I think I will void everything if I am alone in a tent and I hear a rustle or crack nearby while I am trying to sleep. BTW its not bears I am afraid of...

How did you guys get over you first night alone????
    Hey kenp

Don't be afraid to be skeered. To be afraid is a sign of common sense. Only complete idiots are not afraid of anything.

I'm working on being alone in the woods myself. I don't have any advice for ya cause I'm not even close to doing it.

You are not alone. I've seen many youtube vids about "grown men" not loving staying out alone on the trail.

The trail is so popular, you might be surprised at how many people will be on the trail. Lots of section hikers!! You've had some good advice on this thread. Good luck with it! I'm pulling for ya!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    First off, It was so long ago, I can't recall it, and now I prefer it. Secondly, nature is safe....humanity is dangerous. Thirdly, I snore so loud that it scares everything away!

Yes you are dangerous - you like Blueberry Cheesecake!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Take an Ambien tablet about 10 or 10:30, crawl into you sleeping bag, zip up, and relax.
    You'll soon be in lullaby land. Nothing will happen to you all night long. If anything drastic does, you will wake up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Bill View Post
    Beware of Benedryl. It can cause sudden cardiac reactions, even to those who have used it many times in the past!! Like you I took one low-dose tablet to sleep, woke up later with a pulse of over 200 beats per minute. Ended up in the ER with IV's running in an attempt to slow the heart and restore a normalrhythm. Was 5-min from shock treatment, and finally everything went to normal
    Wow, I was unaware of that possibility! Thanks for the tip and I will investigate it further.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

This is a tip for *all* OTC medications - check with your doctor to see if you can take it. A few years ago I started on a thyroid prescription and the doc told me that I couldn't take Ibuprofen with it. Last year, I developed a sensitivity to allergy formulations (reaction severe enough to damn near put me into the hospital), so now no "vitamin I", no sudafed, no benedryl, etc. for me.

The OP asked a good question, so here is my answer: the first night or two freaks out a lot of experienced hikers, so no worries, just get used to sleeping in a tent. I always have a nice, small compact am/fm radio with me and I find a good channel at night and listen to it until I fall asleep. Otherwise, every sound is either a serial killer or a 1,000 black bear after my snickers bar that aren't supposed to be in my tent at night.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    The OP asked a good question, so here is my answer: the first night or two freaks out a lot of experienced hikers, so no worries, just get used to sleeping in a tent. I always have a nice, small compact am/fm radio with me and I find a good channel at night and listen to it until I fall asleep. Otherwise, every sound is either a serial killer or a 1,000 black bear after my snickers bar that aren't supposed to be in my tent at night.
    What he said. And this so called fear is 1 of the reasons the world has not been overpopulated by backpackers....thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I don't think I've ever taken a sleeping pill, on the trail or off. Seems to me that if you're drugged at night, you'll be less ready to cope in the unlikely event that something does happen.
    +1 that's why I don't take sleeping pills even at home. A book (e-book even is as good), makes a great sleeping pill.

Images

i carry a sledgehammer with me and just whack my head a coupla times, usually puts me out for hours

Solution----Dont sleep by yourself then. Take your honey---find yourself a nice place to camp--have some good woopie--and you will go to sleep with a smile on your face and not have a care in the world. See how easy that is!
    Just think some folks pay good money for this advice and u get it for free here at WB!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i carry a sledgehammer with me and just whack my head a coupla times, usually puts me out for hours
    And yet even with the sledgehammer , your winter pack still weighed about 8lbs less than mine.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

That explains it!

It's the fear of the unknown! Once you do it enough you will realize that your fears are unfounded! I'm a woman and I hike and camp alone on the trail all the time! A little unnerving at first but now I sleep like a baby! I love laying in my hammock and listening to the night sounds!
    As for medicating yourself to be able to sleep, I'm not a fan of that idea! I prefer to have my wits about me when I'm in the woods! If there is something out there, I want to be able to hear it and to respond appropriately!
    Somehow taking medications in order to enjoy the wilderness experience just seems wrong! YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    It's the fear of the unknown! Once you do it enough you will realize that your fears are unfounded! I'm a woman and I hike and camp alone on the trail all the time! A little unnerving at first but now I sleep like a baby! I love laying in my hammock and listening to the night sounds!
    As for medicating yourself to be able to sleep, I'm not a fan of that idea! I prefer to have my wits about me when I'm in the woods! If there is something out there, I want to be able to hear it and to respond appropriately!
    Somehow taking medications in order to enjoy the wilderness experience just seems wrong! YMMV
    nu2hike.. you are my idol.... WTG... nice post!

Images

Where I come from meds are for treating a medical condition. Last I heard being afraid of the dark is not a medical condition. Not saying its not a valid concern, because it is, but drugs will not cure it.

I am very surprised at the number of folks that feel drugs are the best way to deal with this issue.

Yah, but knowing you, it has a titanium handle.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Pop a couple of Benadryl a half hour before bedtime to help make you very sleepy. Put in earplugs to reduce outside sounds (or put in ear buds connected to a small radio. mp3 player etc. Personally, I put the radio on no station in order to get the sound of static or "white noise").

If you can't hear it--it can't scare you. If you are in a deep sleep from the Benadryl,--you won't feel it when the bear attacks you .
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    city bears are soooo obnoxious !
    City people are soooooooooooooo obnoxious.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++